Humbugs/3 strip damsels spawning .......Help

Humbugs/3 strip damsels spawning .......Help

Postby Trev » Mon May 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Guys I have a pair of humbug damsels that have been spawnning very regulary but I have never seen eggs the closest I have seen is fry in the display 100's of them when the lights turned on one morning but as soon as I saw them so did the other fish and well you know the rest. Now today I witnessed the female laying eggs all over a piece of rock and then the male came along and fertelized them. Soon afterwards my undulated trigger started pecking at the eggs so I decieded that this time I was going to try and raise them even though I do not want more humbugs the concervation idea appeals to me. So I currently have the eggs on a 10 kg piece of rock and this I have placed in a bucket with water from the display in it I have a heater and an airstone in the bucket to provide water movement, air and temp and from what I have read so far I expect the eggs to hatch in 4 days, I have a Moorish Idol in the quarantine tank at the moment but he is ready to go to the display tank and so I have started dripping water from the display tank into the quarantine tank and will do this slowely for the next 4 days so that when the eggs hatch I can nmove the Moorish Idol to the diplay and the damsel fry into the quarantine tank.

My questions at the moment are have I got sufficient harware running to keep the eggs happy or is there something else I can do to make them happier. What is the best food for the fry and incase I cant get any what is the second best and 3rd. And everything else you think I may need to know will be helpfull

Some things to note: there are around 200 thousand eggs, there is currently no direct lighting over the bucket only some light from the quarantine tank, display tank and sump, I am planning on doing a 50% water change in the bucket with water which comes from the display tank which the eggs came out of.

Ask any questions you may have regarding these eggs and parents

Regards
Trev
Trev

Re: Humbugs/3 strip damsels spawning .......Help

Postby Clownfish75 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:52 am

to keep the eggs alive you only need to have good water circulation over/past them so a good airstone running near them should work for this.

The fun starts when they hatch, they are small and at a very minimum will need SS rotifers (super small rotifers) if you live near the sea you could go plankton collecting with a special net, this would be the best way to give you decent success, but it is a hard and step learning curve on a fish like this.

give me some better backgorund on how far form the sea and what sort of tank youmight be able to use to culture them, it could be hard with a very temporary bucket.

But try hatching them then move onto the next step with the info you gather and things you learn.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Trev » Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey Christian thanks for the reply

Well after reading ALOT I have dicieded to go with Johns recomendations of the round fish bowl ( although I will be using a big round salad bowl ) with the rotaion of water and food in it. I live like realy close to the beach like 150 foot away from the water but dont know how to harvest plankton or what net to use ( I would like to find out ) but I have spoken to my uncle who works at the marine science institute about 15 km away from me and he has organized some phytoplankton for me which I will get tomorrow hopefully. I plan to use my current qaurantine tank as a grow out for the fry. So for now Im just hoping to get a good hatching then take it from there. I am running a heater in the bucket and the temp at 27deg is this ok , airstone is providing water movement and air for them.

Trev
Trev

Postby Luis A M » Thu May 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Welcome Trev! :D
You picked a very difficult damsel.I don´t think it was ever done... :?
Try and post pics of the newly hached! 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Trev » Thu May 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Luis A M wrote:Welcome Trev! :D
You picked a very difficult damsel.I don´t think it was ever done... :?
Try and post pics of the newly hached! 8)

Hey Luis

Thanks man, Yeah I know it just happened actualy its been happening quite a lot Iv decieded to give it a go this time and if nothing comes of it then I will try seperate the pair from the rest of the tank and let them raise the eggs until hatched. I know that they have done this before becuase I saw the fry a couple 100 but they hot chomped very quickly. With the articals I have read from yourself and John I will give it my best.

Trev
Trev

Postby efren » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:39 pm

well i colected some larvae from my 3 line damselfishes yesterday thay are in a BRT with rotifers but i have a lot of ciliates so i put them with the larvae lets see what hapens
efren
MOFIB Translator

Postby efren » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:31 pm

well i see them today and stilll alot of larvae i added more roundciliates but i am still in the 3 day
efren
MOFIB Translator

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Good luck with them.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby YeYo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:55 am

hi.

I have my Dascyllus aruanus pair working since some time ago, and this is the second time that I try to rise them.

I put them in a "dark brown" round tub (I didn't found a black one). For first try I doesn't have food for them, so I put my normal fish food very crushed, but the fry dead at 3 day.

Now (2th time) I give them phytoplankton, but I had to travel and my automatic feeder doesn't work and the fry was 2 days without feed and now I only have 3 of them, lest see if them go ahead.
YeYo

Postby YeYo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:56 pm

When I get home there was no larva ... :(

I'll try again in 3 days, cause they post again.
YeYo

Return to Other Damsels