3 strips damsel laying eggs

3 strips damsel laying eggs

Postby poucet » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:32 pm

I have 2 damsels in my tank with other livestock. I had eggs on my tank for the past month now. So this morning I had the confirmation. The bigger damsel one was dancing over the egg freshly laid all by itself. I don't know if it was laying them or passing over with sperm.

does anyone have any experience on the subject?
The small one was on the other side of the tank, like it didn't care. So are damsel like chicken and just need a presence of a male around? :shock: :lol:
Just throwing suggestion (never mind I’m clueless)
poucet

Re: 3 strips damsel laying eggs

Postby Midnight Angel » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:36 pm

The larger one would be the male. So you have fertile eggs :D Look at all of Luis's post he is our damsel dude :lol: Really he has done great work and can help you. I'm sure he will post when he sees this.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby poucet » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:53 pm

the thing is I never get larva, probably eaten after they hatch. I'll try to take them out an put them in a tank all by themselve see if I can get some larva. They're laying eggs every week and the nest getting bigger and biger. Now it's covering 1/2 of the side of my 45 gallon tank.
poucet

Postby Midnight Angel » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:59 pm

Yep my green chromis used to cover the whole back of my 29. The females would lay the eggs and the male would come along after. And it was pretty common for me to see him by himself passing over the eggs. He had 4 females so he was a busy boy. :lol:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby poucet » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:35 am

any luck with larvas?
poucet

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:21 pm

I never tried to raise them. They are my favorite damsels though..........maybe one day. Also I never could get them to spawn on anything but the glass. :roll:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Luis A M » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:48 pm

Dascyllus and Chromis are the damsels that hatch less developed of all.Like prolarvae.Because of that, they are also the most difficult to raise. :(
They hatch sooner than other damsels,and unless you record when they spawned,and how many days yours are taking to hatch,it´s hard to tell when the eggs are ready,because you don´t see refringent eyes within the eggs.A way I found to find out when they will hatch,is to siphon some few eggs and put them in a Petri dish in the dark for 15 minutes.If they hatch,I can pull the whole nest. :wink:
Dascyllus frequently spawn on tank´walls.The way to solve this problem is to cover the walls in their preferred corners with thin sheets of glass,like those used for portraits. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks Luis. I'm trying to see if Edgar can talk to Bill Addison. I've heard he raised green chromis years ago. I would love to know if it is true (I'm sure he did ...he rocks) and what he did to raise them.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby efren » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:33 pm

well here is a video of my newly hatched trimaculatus babies i decide to give them a try but i only have s rotifers with greenwater do you think is any chance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Son88YYRfUs
efren
MOFIB Translator

Return to Other Damsels