3 Striped Damsel eggs?

3 Striped Damsel eggs?

Postby buzjerry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:34 pm

Probably not even worth trying to raise...eh?

It's in my university teaching lab tank, but pretty cool, nevertheless.

Now I wish, my fish would breed (banggai or clown).
buzjerry

Postby mpedersen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:08 pm

Any pictures? Any more info on how they set them up, how long they've had them etc...? (BTW, moving this to the Damselfish Forum).
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby buzjerry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Didn't know there was a damsel forum... thanks.

I'll get pictures tomorrow since I got volunteered to take care of the tanks. But I guess there are benefits (like trading coral, having access to a much bigger tank, and borrowing equipment/supplies).

Setup of the tank (200gal reef tank) or of the eggs?

Jerry-
buzjerry

Postby BaboonScience » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:30 pm

Jerry
This is a fish and invert breeding site. :roll:
The eggs and parents! :wink:
Thanks ahead of time!
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34 pm

buzjerry wrote:Setup of the tank (200gal reef tank) or of the eggs?

Anything. Scientfic name of the fish (to avoid any confusion). Past history, how the pair was formed, where they spawn, what the eggs look like, how many eggs, how frequently they spawn, when the hatch, what the parent's diet is etc..

To be fair, information on this species is probably already floating around out there, but that's secondary to the point. It's been my stance that there are MANY people out there who have fish that spawn but don't do anything about it. And while 3 Stripe Damsels are probably not commercial viable fish to rear at this point, someday that could be different. And there may even be people who want to try them simply to try them sans profit motive.

So, because of that, anyone who takes the time to even just make the observations furthers our efforts as marine breeders. While some might feel the information and spanwing is mundane, I believe that you may stumble upon something that makes it easier for the next person who works with the speices, or gives someone another idea, or alters a commonly held notion about this species' reproduction.

So post away Jerry, I anxiously await anything you can offer to the community! And BTW, WELCOME TO MOFIB!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby buzjerry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:41 pm

gotya...

Well the parents must be at least 4-7 years old from what I understand. They are ~2inches. The bigger one is protecting the eggs and shivering constantly around the eggs, plus chasing the other fish in the tank (2 clowns, 6 chromis, 1 royal gramma, 1 algae blenny)

I've only been at the university for 2 years so don't know how old it is exactly. I was just suggesting to my friend (the other caretaker of the tank) about removing the two damsels since they are an eye sore, but since they laid their eggs now I don't know anymore....

We've been working on improving the teaching tank since they fired the professional caretaker and it went to hell...but the tank is recovering nicely (it's nice when you have $200-$300/month to spend on tank when it's not your money) :lol:
buzjerry

Postby buzjerry » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:50 pm

just saw your reply matt....

the eggs are grayish-blueish.... probably a couple of hundred on liverock and algae on the liverock. I'll take pictures of them tomorrow along with the parents One thing we noticed after we saw the eggs is that the parents turned darker in color. Don't know if that is normal, but the black and white stripes are not so prominent since their white has turned a little gray now. Weird.

I would try to care for the larvae so would my friend, but at this time we are getting ready to defend, therefore it won't happen this round. Hopefully, they will lay more eggs after Oct. when we have more time.

Jerry-
buzjerry

Re:

Postby BaboonScience » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:51 pm

mpedersen wrote:So post away Jerry, I anxiously await anything you can offer to the community! And BTW, WELCOME TO MOFIB!

Jerry
We are all anxious to get any information that you can provide. Keep in mind that any that you provide is good information, even if it is in reference to a species that has already been documented. To be honest, this is a very new field. There are very few marine ornamentals, if any, (besides clownfish) that I would say are well documented. So, all records are good, especially when pictures are involved. :)
Thanks
And I forgot to welcome you to MOFIB.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Clownfish75 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:13 am

there is a report of success with rearing Dascylus damsels before.

If you would like and have a few days i will find it, if you dont hear anythign remind me, i forget these things all the time.

Christian
Clownfish75

Return to Other Damsels