Abudefduf saxatilis, family Pomacentridae (Sargent Major)

Abudefduf saxatilis, family Pomacentridae (Sargent Major)

Postby KathyL » Thu May 01, 2008 10:34 pm

Beautiful fish found all over the Cayman reefs. Just learned that the males change color (blue) when taking care of a nest. Would love to breed them, but I'll have to see.....
KathyL

Postby William » Fri May 02, 2008 9:10 am

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=810

From Witt's experience, these guys are quite a challenge to raise.

And based on their large size and behavior in the wild (they form large schools 20' above the reef). I have a feeling that you'd never get them to spawn in captivity in anything less than a huge tank.

Good luck. :)
Will
William

Postby Luis A M » Fri May 02, 2008 11:30 am

And if you make it,what lfs will be willing to take them?. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KathyL » Fri May 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Ya, it was just a dream.
KathyL

Postby Witt » Sat May 03, 2008 9:10 am

Hey Kathy, the good news is that sergeants are in fact easy to breed in aquariums. Granted, large ones. I have seen them spawn in 180 gallons and pretty much every large display tank they are ever put in. The males do turn blue when courting and guarding eggs. They seem to glow when the sun hits them and when you creep up to steel their eggs they turn even more electrified.

And Acroporas and Luis are right. They are a pain to rear and I got 50cents in store credit for mine. Didn't even pay the gas to go collect the eggs.

But, this was the best species I ever raised.
Witt

Re:

Postby William » Sun May 04, 2008 9:18 am

Witt wrote:Hey Kathy, the good news is that sergeants are in fact easy to breed in aquariums. Granted, large ones. I have seen them spawn in 180 gallons and pretty much every large display tank they are ever put in.

Well good to know that they do spawn in captivity, but from an Ocellaris breeders perspective where broodstock tanks are 5-10 gallons, 180 is huge.
Witt wrote:And Acroporas and Luis are right. They are a pain to rear and I got 50cents in store credit for mine.

I suspect that you could get a bit more for them up north. In South FL anyone with a dipnet and a pair of goggles can go to the pier and collect a few dozen in less than a hour, and then drive around town offering them to the fish shops for store credit... And even if the store is buying them legit - they are likely to deal directly with a local collector.

Up north where the the chain is much longer (Collector -> wholesaler -> airport -> LFS ) they are bound to be worth a bit more. Around here they retail for ~$5. You should be able to get at least $1 for them. More if the shop values aquacultured fish.
Will
William

Return to Other Damsels