foxface spawned! (actually Pomacentrus alleni Damselfish)

foxface spawned! (actually Pomacentrus alleni Damselfish)

Postby vdp » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Finally!! after 2 years they spawned.
the egg clutch is about 7 cm in diameter, with VERY small eggs. The eggs are layed directly on the bottem substrate (I glued backgroundfoam on the bottom) I just took some pics of the eggs but unfortunately the cable of the camera is lost, so will post them tomorrow. Also as the eggs are about 30 cm behind the window it is rather difficult to take clear pics. Need to make a snagger to place over them, my light trap is in my mediterean tank as eggs of Lepadogaster lepadogaster are due to hatch.
Rearing? Well that seems to be rather difficult. I' ve just started a pod culture but this is just started since a few days, so not enough to feed yet. plus it appears they need phyto (see article in post above this one) and I don' t have any yet.
If the eggs are still there, I' ll scrape some off and take them to work to take some pics with a microscope.
vdp

Postby littlefish72 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:34 pm

WOW! I didn't even know these guys spawned. Do they protect the nest? What else can you show and tell us? It looks like you are the for most authority :)
Rule #76. No excuses, play like a champion.
littlefish72

Postby coralhead317 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:58 pm

This is one of my favorite fish. Find that cable, pleeeeese! We need pictures and descriptions of the tank (size of tank, feeding regimen, etc). Keep it coming!

Good luck,

John
coralhead317

Postby BaboonScience » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:05 pm

This is very interesting!
Give us some information about this.
What size is your tank?
How many Fox Face do you have in the tank? Do they have harems? Can you distinguish between male and female?
Did you notice spawning behavior?
Answers, please, answers.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby vdp » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:21 am

The foxface are in a 2 m tank, togheter with a few small fish. But looking how they behave, I think this tank is too small.
I just bought one, after a while while the first one was about 12 cm I bought a smaller one, about 5 cm. Looking for info about culture or breeding them I only found the article posted in the above thread. It appears a way to tell male from female is; when the abdomen of a ripe male is stroked, some sperm is released. This is of course not usefull in a lfs as I believe it is best to buy these (and other fish) at a young age. The female is a lot fatter than the male, but this could be due to the fact that she is not shy at all and even takes food out off my hands while the male hides untill I leave, but I like to look at my fish eat (but who doesn' t?)
The small one grew very fast and within a few months was bigger than the first one, they started to fight VERY hard when they were about 15 cm, I even wanted to separate them, but was unable to net them, and they were not willing to swim in the 40 cm long fish trap. After a while they seemed to tolerate each other and now are always swimming togheter.
They are fed 4 to 8 times a day with: peas, brocoli, algae, algaetablets, oatmeal, some local weeds, mussels, mysis, daphnia, krill, musquito larvae, shrimp, squid even cyclops are eaten. If fed a little less frequent, they fight, so now they are always kept as full as possible.
I never witnessed any mating behaviour as the male (the one added last at 5 cm lenght) always hides whenever I' m in front of the tank. They do not appear to guard the eggs. The eggs are laid out in the open, not even etween rocks. It seems one of them (or both) cleaned the site prior to eggs being laid. Noticed a 2 cm perimeter round the patch off eggs is free from algae and detritus. If you try these be prepared for the worst, all the reports and diaries I read had the same outcome, only one survives. If you feed a lot it might be possible, I even had a pair of Chelmon rostratus, the male died after 2 years due to parasitic crustaceans on the gills.
I' ll take some eggs to work and place them under a microscope, the pics from the eggs in the tank are very blurry.
vdp

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 am

Huig (I assume its you?)

when they hatch bring them to me and we can try to raise them ;)
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:05 am

this is excelent news, i once had a pair i bought as a pair, probably 25cm+ each. I couldnt get them to spawn due to tank size, but they are very impressive fish.

If i can find time on the weekend ill trawl through all my rabbitfish info and might try to fill in the overview that should bring everything upto speed on current knowledge on this group, i should add i suspect ther eis a bit of info too!!

Well done, congratulations.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby vdp » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:25 am

Peter you assumed correct, but after reading this you might not be so enthousiastic about rearing the eggs.

This morning when I took the some eggs for pics, after removing them a pomacentrus alleni swum to the eggs and fanned them!!!!!! not being near the eggs, not even touching them for 2 days (I' ve been in front off the tank nearly the whole time) As I found the eggs I ruled these out as the normally supposed to care for the eggs. Well is my face red!!! :oops:
but took some pics of the eggs just the same even if I' m a 'little bit' disappointed.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... rusei2.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... trusei.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... rusei3.jpg
Have got no clue how to post pics so hope this works.
Well I' m going to continue my day (maybe years to come) in total SHAME hehe.
vdp

Postby mpedersen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:24 pm

OK...sounds like we should move this to the Damsel forum? ;) Cool just the same!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby littlefish72 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:21 am

Man that sucks...........funny though :)
Rule #76. No excuses, play like a champion.
littlefish72

Postby Holdencraft 33 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:47 am

Awesome non the less.
I'm against animal testing, They get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Holdencraft 33

State/Region: Utah

Postby mpedersen » Wed May 14, 2008 11:25 am

Hey all, I moved this to the Damsel forum and annotated the thread title. VDP, any pictures of the parents spawning / nest etc? (would love to also hit you up for including them in the MOFIB IMAC presentation ;) ) Any more info on them (i.e. hatch times, larval pictures?)
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby vdp » Thu May 15, 2008 9:04 am

Hi Matt,

There are some pics off the larvae in the Pomacentrus alleni thread.
The larvae hatch after 2 days at 28 °C, about 15 minutes after darkness.
I' ll try to take some pics of the male courting (as he changes color and swims head down to the nesting place) as soon as I have my camera back.
Unfortunately they spawn between a tile and the side pane, so the actual spawning is not seen.
The male guards eggs of several females all in different stages of devellopment.

What is the MOFIB IMAC presentation?

Greetz,

Huig
vdp

Postby mpedersen » Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 pm

Huig, Aha, there's another thread - http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2311

The MOFIB IMAC presentation - I'm giving a presentation on fish breeding at IMAC this year - http://www.theimac.org

I'm going to lock this thread so further disucssions on P. alleni happen at the above thread!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Return to Other Damsels