Better in groups or pairs?

Better in groups or pairs?

Postby hawklover » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 pm

I have a Azure Demoselle, chrysiptera hemicyanea, and would like to try my hand at culturing them. My question is this, do they spawn better in pairs or groups. If in groups, how big of a tank do they need, and how many individuals would make up a good sized breeding group? Thanks! :P
Ben (P.S. I really, really, really want to be the first person to succsesfully breed hawkfish)
Broodstock: Flame Hawks, Engineer Gobies, Ocellaris Clowns, Bangaii Cardinals, FireFish Magnifica, Azure Damsels, more to come with time!
hawklover

Re: Better in groups or pairs?

Postby Kmiec123 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think most Damsel fish do best in pairs.
Kmiec123

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Carl is right.Your group will be soon reduced to one pair :x ,unless your tank is really big.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Midnight Angel » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:56 pm

And if you don't check on the pair often you may end up with just one. I always seem to end up with a pair or just one evil damsel. :roll:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby jadeguppy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:35 pm

I thought all damsel fish are evil? We called the first one I bought "damn damsel" because no matter what happened the thing would not die. Even after I thought it was dead and shut the tank down, I found the recently dead body two weeks later. Mean little buggers that will out live everything.
jadeguppy

Postby Midnight Angel » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:30 pm

:lol: Too funny Jadeguppy :lol: I should say though that my green chromis were always nice and they got on great in a group. But I had canary deep water damsels that gave evil a whole new meaning. I spent so much money on those stupid fish and never got two fish that could get along. I have no idea if that is normal for them or not. But fwiw my starki damsels were not any trouble to pair. But Luis knows damsels better than anybody on here. :wink:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:45 am

I can only ever keep one starki alive, dang it. My LFS gets in two for me when he sees them (about once a year), as disparate in size as possible, and one of the two always dies within a few days. The other is always solid as a rock.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Midnight Angel » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:47 am

Andy the starki ship badly. I lost half of what I ordered too. The trick is to get twice as many as you want with damsels. And see if you can get them when they just come in before they go in the stores system. I just have my lfs order fish just for me and pick them up right when they come in. It just cuts out one more tank they have to set in and get moved out of again. Just make sure you keep them in their own tank which I'm sure you would do anyway.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:51 am

Yep. I got them still in the shipping bags. Unfortunately, he only ever seems to be able to get two at a time. Sigh. I wonder if it's because they are coming from deep water?
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Midnight Angel » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:56 am

They don't come through often. And I have ordered a large group from QM before and they only sent a few. I think sometimes with fish everyone wants they spread them out as far as they can so that is why some stores don't get many. So I just check list like CRAZY so I'm on it first thing. I know sometimes before my lfs does when there is something cool out there. You just have to be watching all the time. And hope you get your whole order :roll:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby hawklover » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:27 pm

The azure damsel that I have has always been in the tanks with bigger tougher fish. He has stayed pretty small. I am going to order 4 more and see if I can get a pair, then give the rest back to my LFS. They are cool about that. We call the one I have yellow belly, because he is always hiding from someone.
Ben (P.S. I really, really, really want to be the first person to succsesfully breed hawkfish)
Broodstock: Flame Hawks, Engineer Gobies, Ocellaris Clowns, Bangaii Cardinals, FireFish Magnifica, Azure Damsels, more to come with time!
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:14 pm

I fanally managed to get a second Azure Damsel, so for it looks good. He is quite a bit smaller than my first Azure, so heres hoping for a pair. They are in a 55g together with a maroon clown, a bta, some soft corals, and a bunch of live rock. Lots of places to hide.
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:29 pm

so far so good, they hangout together most of the day. No violence at all between them, and the bigger one has been defending the smaller from another damsel in the tank.
hawklover

Postby jadeguppy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Sounds like things are going well. Congrats.
jadeguppy

Postby hawklover » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:03 pm

hawklover

Return to Chrysiptera - Blue Damsels