Pregnant yellow tail damsel??

Pregnant yellow tail damsel??

Postby NemoFan » Tue May 15, 2007 1:19 am

Hey again all! I have recently set up another 4 10-gallon broodstock tanks and I put 2 yellow tail damsels in each tank for cycling purposes. I have had them for about 3 weeks now, and at this evening's feeding I noticed that one of my damsels look like she had swallowed a marble and is just hanging out resting on the bottom of the tank, not really swimming either, and not interested in my dinner brine offering. She is breathing a bit heavy also. Her little mate is doing perfectly fine and darting about as normal, and the water is completely normal and has been finished cycling for about a week now. I know NOTHING about damsels so here I turn to you guys! Does this sound like I have a breeding damsel pair? Is it possible that she could even have eggs so soon? Or does this describe something else that could be wrong?? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!!
NemoFan

State/Region: California

Postby mpedersen » Tue May 15, 2007 1:28 am

FWIW, and not to disappoint, but the damselfish sounds sick. More specifically has abodominal issues. The swelling is the collection of fluid, the lack of appetite, activity and overal vigor indicates illness.

Dropsy, various "Bloats", intenstinal issues, these can be pretty difficult to overcome with medication and *usually* take a fish pretty quickly. PRISTINE water quality and medication are the only real hope for turning things around, but just based on the condition you described, I wouldn't be terribly surpised to find the fish DOA by morning.

Personally, and I hate to sound ruthless, but a fish in that condition, around here, would be netted out and humanely euthanised. Of course, you have the be the judge and make the determination as to what's really going on. Pictures never hurt.

To do so, simply place it in a container of tank water and place that into the freezer...as the water temps drop the fish's metabolism slows and it basically goes to sleep, just doesn't wake up.

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby NemoFan » Tue May 15, 2007 1:32 am

I suspected that as well, just wasn't sure since I am so unfamiliar with damsels. Thank you for such a quick response! Also I just posted something for you in "Larviculture" Thanks again!
NemoFan

State/Region: California

Postby mpedersen » Tue May 15, 2007 1:47 am

I suspect they're still small - Luis could tell you at what size C. paresma spawn at...

Basically new fish, just through cycling, it's not surprising if one came down with an intestinal/abdominal infection....it's the lack of appetite or movement that really seals the deal for me, and I know where you're coming from, because at first glance, most of my first-time spawning females have literally looked like they were going to explode...difference was they were happy, active, ate like pigs etc...

Good luck!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Colby » Tue May 15, 2007 2:11 am

The fish you have are too small to be spawning yet, and it does sound like that female is sick. Any fish that won't take brine is generally not doing well.

I'll come check her out, may want to let that tank go with no fish for a few weeks before putting clowns in just to be sure that there is nothing going on in there parasite wise, but like I said I will come check it out.

Colby
Colby

Return to Chrysiptera - Blue Damsels