Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Marcel » Tue May 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Fearlessmoto wrote:i have been trying to get my YTDs to spawn, is there anything I can do to trigger this, types of foods, conditions, light cycle, water movement, etc...


Hi,

i got a pair of chrysiptera hemicyanea. I bought by accident a pair. They got the same size. 3 weeks after i bought them, they spawned in a flowerpot. around 6 cm diameter.
Water parameter:

salinity: 1024
temp: 27 to 28°C
Light: 13 hours blue, 11 hours white
food: homemade
other parameter: normal as required for a reef tank

I always add 1 drop of 5% Lugol´s solution for every 100 litre daily. That is more or less the same amount of iodine like in the oceans.
It will help you with metamorphosis and it keeps the mortality much lower. I would add iodine always in larvae tanks, if the larvae tank is not connected to the main system.

homemade food recipe:

1 yellow of the egg
15 salmon oil capsules ( without the capsules itself)
450 gr seafood mix (mussels, crab sticks, squid, fish, prawns)
20ml multivitamin
20gr gelatine

mix everything in the blender (except the gelatine), add water only if needed. Dilute the gelatine in 150ml hot water and add to blender.
Put a freezer bag on a same size cardboard. Poor 1/3 of the mix in a freezer bag, depends at the size of the bag. Put another cardboard on top of it to make it flat like a slab.

For juveniles use same recipe, but add only 10 gr gelatine. Food will fall easier into very small pieces in the water. Ones the juveniles are bigger, add 20 gr gelatine. Otherwise you mess the water up very quick.

The result of this food is brilliant as you can read below.

Spawning and hatching history for Chrysiptera hemicyanea


30.12.2008 spawning around 500 eggs
02.01.2009 hatching in tank ¾ hatched, because i disturbed them to much
03.01.2009 hatching in bucket rest hatched
05.01.2009 spawning 8 days after the first spawn around 500 eggs
08.01.2009 hatching in bucket Counted the larvae, 460 a few didn’t hatch.
11.01.2009 spawning around 900 eggs
14.01.2009 hatching in tank most of the eggs destroyed by the salarias
17.01.2009 spawning around 1000 to 1100 eggs
20.01.2009 hatching in tank
23.01.2009 spawning spawned underneath the rock
26.01.2009 hatching in tank
29.01.2009 spawning spawned underneath the rock
01.02.2009 hatching in bucket first try to raise them, failed
04.02.2009 spawning in the flowerpot, 600 – 800 eggs
07.02.2009 hatching all hatched in the main tank
09.02.2009 spawning they spawned a day to early, maybe because the temp. was always around 28-29° the last days.
12.02.2009 hatching in main tank
15.02.2009 spawning somewhere on the rock
18.02.2009 hatching caught more than 1000 larvae
20.02.2009 spawning in the flowerpot
23.02.2009 hatching caught around 1500 larvae.Took a picture of the larvae and counted them on the computer.
26.02.2009 spawning around 1500 eggs
01.03.2009 hatching in main tank
04.03.2009 spawning around 1500 eggs
07.03.2009 hatching in main tank
10.03.2009 spawning around 1500 eggs
13.03.2009 hatching in main tank

I stopped writing a further history, because it is a waste of time. Fact is, with this kind of broodstock nutrition you will get every week around 1000 to 1500 larvae. If you take the eggs out of the broodstock tank, you will have a high mortality and they won´t hatch a the same night.
Very easy is to use a larvae snagger. I caught so many larvae without any mortality. The tricky part is the food. Rotifer as small as possible.
I will try to raise them again as soon as i got the right algae cultures going. I think, the best way to do it is, to keep them in a dark cone with aeration from the bottom. Keep the water green as possible with a mix of isochrysis and tetraselmis, because of the fatty acid, amino acid and lipid profile.
On top of the cone you put a lid with a hole in it. That allows to let the light in and keeps the larvae away from the sides.

Even with a survival rate of only 20%, you will have every week around 250 to 300 damsels.

Good luck with this tiny guys

Marcel
User avatar
Marcel
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:09 am

Re:Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Luis A M » Wed May 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Good luck with them,Marcel,damsels are really tricky to raise! 8)
And thank you for posting your food recipe. :wink:
C.parasema hatch in the 5th night.Are you positive you don´t have some Pomacentrus species? :?
Luis
User avatar
Luis A M
Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Buenos Aires,Argentina

Re:Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Marcel » Wed May 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Luis A M wrote:Good luck with them,Marcel,damsels are really tricky to raise! 8)
And thank you for posting your food recipe. :wink:
C.parasema hatch in the 5th night.Are you positive you don´t have some Pomacentrus species? :?


Hi Luis,

I know they are bloody tricky. It is the chrysiptera hemicyanea. No doubt!

Compare the cluster eggs. The bottom picture was the first batch and the top picture was the 3rd batch. Almost double the size.
My hemicyanea´s hatch always in the 4th night (27-29°C).

I will try and raise them, if i got enough plankton and nothing better to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Marcel
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Luis A M » Thu May 14, 2009 12:52 am

Nice pics,Marcel! :shock: I can´t understand why if you´re such a good photographer you don´t produce a decent pic of your albino clowns? :roll:
I thought you were meaning parasema! :oops: You mind if we move this to a new hemicyanea thread?
Luis
User avatar
Luis A M
Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Buenos Aires,Argentina

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Marcel » Thu May 14, 2009 8:19 am

Luis A M wrote:Nice pics,Marcel! :shock: I can´t understand why if you´re such a good photographer you don´t produce a decent pic of your albino clowns? :roll:
I thought you were meaning parasema! :oops: You mind if we move this to a new hemicyanea thread?


Hi Luis,

thanks for the compliment. I am very good with a lot of things. Regarding these pictures, i have to tell you, it took them also with my cellphone. Now you are going to tell, i got a good cellphone. If i had the bucks, i would buy the right camera with the right lens. I will take nice pictures from my albinos, don´t you worry.

No, i don´t mind to move this into a new hemicyanea thread. How does it work? Should i copy my post in a new thread? Please let me know.

The reason why i bought the hemicyanea is, they are much less aggressive. And if somebody wants to breed chrysiptera, my advise will be, to breed the hemicyanea. They are more beautiful, less aggressive and more expensive. It will be easier to sell a few hundred, than selling parasema.

Did you see my drawing for the new hatchery in my garage in the albino thread?
You think i should start a new thread about the new hatchery to give interested people an idea, how to set up a small hatchery?
I thought my hatchery is practical, but now after i raised the first fry, i must admit i made a few mistakes. All these will fall apart in the new hatchery.
It is based on the experiences i made and should work really practically.

Thanks and regards

Marcel
User avatar
Marcel
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Luis A M » Fri May 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Marcel wrote:The reason why i bought the hemicyanea is, they are much less aggressive. And if somebody wants to breed chrysiptera, my advise will be, to breed the hemicyanea. They are more beautiful, less aggressive and more expensive. It will be easier to sell a few hundred, than selling parasema.

Our current "state of the art"only allows us to raise 1-3 juvs in the best case.W.Mai shows 4 in his paper.So we are still far of producing hundreds of them,thus the reason for working together in a place like this. 8)
And then,both parasema and hemicyanea juvs take forever to grow to a saleable size :x .taupou is a much better choice,they grow fast and have a better market value. :wink:
Luis
User avatar
Luis A M
Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Buenos Aires,Argentina

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Marcel » Fri May 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Luis A M wrote:
Marcel wrote:The reason why i bought the hemicyanea is, they are much less aggressive. And if somebody wants to breed chrysiptera, my advise will be, to breed the hemicyanea. They are more beautiful, less aggressive and more expensive. It will be easier to sell a few hundred, than selling parasema.

Our current "state of the art"only allows us to raise 1-3 juvs in the best case.W.Mai shows 4 in his paper.So we are still far of producing hundreds of them,thus the reason for working together in a place like this. 8)
And then,both parasema and hemicyanea juvs take forever to grow to a saleable size :x .taupou is a much better choice,they grow fast and have a better market value. :wink:


Hi Luis,

I am a little bit confused. In the italian article, which is also part of the german book of breeding MOF, was written, they had a survival rate of 25%.
The article was from 2002 and you want to tell me now, you can breed 1-3 and Wolgang makes it up to 4??? :shock:
I bought the hemicyanea, because i like them. It was never my intention to breed them. If you learn how to drive a car, you also dont start with a Ferrari. :wink:

Marcel

What is taupau? What is the latin name?
User avatar
Marcel
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Luis A M » Sat May 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Marcel wrote:I am a little bit confused. In the italian article, which is also part of the german book of breeding MOF, was written, they had a survival rate of 25%.
The article was from 2002 and you want to tell me now, you can breed 1-3 and Wolgang makes it up to 4??? :shock:
I bought the hemicyanea, because i like them. It was never my intention to breed them. If you learn how to drive a car, you also dont start with a Ferrari. :wink:

Marcel

What is taupau? What is the latin name?

Well,I think I was VERY explicit about that before.Don´t ask me to say it again! :wink:
Chrysiptera taupou=Fiji devil.See my avatar,"Baby blue",the first ever raised. 8)
Luis
User avatar
Luis A M
Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Buenos Aires,Argentina

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Tincman » Fri May 22, 2009 2:57 pm

I've tried to pair up Blue Damsel (Cryisptera cyanea) but all the females I suspected have changed into males once the water warming up to about 80 F with plenty of live natural foods. I had a proven oranged tail male in the pack of 6 grown females (2.3 inches +). The reason those new would be males have no oranged tail maybe due of lack of live sponges in their diets. Not because the new males were trying to deceive the proven male not to kill them. So I isolated the oranged tail male in a hanging net. Within 2 months, the largest female became real aggressive. She looks strikingly like a male, but without the oranged tail. Out of curiosity, I cut her open and guess what , she was really a male. The yellow tailed damsel, on the other hand, might not change sex. That's probably why they're less aggressive.
Tincman
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:17 pm
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Marcel » Sun May 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Tincman wrote: Out of curiosity, I cut her open and guess what , she was really a male.


???

You cut her open, because you were curious???

We should change the name for you. MOFIK =Marine Ornamental Fish Invert Killers

Did is miss something? Was she dead already? If not, you need to see a doctor.

My hemicyanea´s are both the same size and the same colour. No orange tail.
User avatar
Marcel
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby spawner » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:46 am

Marcel wrote:
Tincman wrote: Out of curiosity, I cut her open and guess what , she was really a male.


???

You cut her open, because you were curious???

We should change the name for you. MOFIK =Marine Ornamental Fish Invert Killers

Did is miss something? Was she dead already? If not, you need to see a doctor.

My hemicyanea´s are both the same size and the same colour. No orange tail.



Interesting information. Thank you for posting. Be polite to others please.
User avatar
spawner
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:28 am

Re: Breeding Chrysiptera hemicyanea

Postby Luis A M » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Tincman,I don´t think Chrysiptera damsels could change sex.If they would,it should be female to male,as the male is the largest and more aggressive fish.In my book,fish were not supposed to change sex in opposite directions in the same family (clowns change male to female).
But I was wrong,it happens with pseudochromids (dottybacks).And I think sex change has been documented for some damsels like Dascyllus.
Now the blue devil (C.cyanea)has different geographical races,which could be summarized in these 3 forms:
Male with orange tail fin
Male with blue tail fin
Male with clear tail fin.This last is not sexually dimorphic.
I am starting now a new raising attempt which will be explained in the larviculture forum.These are the newly hatched larvae,3.4 mm long.

Image

Image
Luis
User avatar
Luis A M
Moderator
 
Posts: 5630
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Buenos Aires,Argentina


Return to Chrysiptera - Blue Damsels



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron