Chrysiptera talboti- Talbot's damsel

Chrysiptera talboti- Talbot's damsel

Postby altolamprologus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:11 am

I have a pair of Talbot's damsels and I believe they have spawned and would like some confirmation if anyone could help me with that. A week ago, my mom noticed the pair swimming in circles together as opposed to staying apart most of the time and the female being occasionally chased by the male. A few days ago, I noticed the male being unusually aggressive toward a snail that got too close to the entrance of his cave and also that the male was excavating the sand under his cave a lot more than usual. Then today I noticed that the male is spending 75% of the time inside his cave. I can't see into the cave, but I'm thinking there might be eggs in there. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

From reading other topics on this forum, I'm expecting an incubation time of about 3-4 weeks. Is this correct? And what time of the day will they hatch? A couple hours after lights out? I probably won't be able to the raise the babies this time due to a lack of rotifers, but if I can catch the larvae, I'll can get some data on starvation time and whatnot. I'm assuming the larvae are too small to be raised on NHBBS correct?
altolamprologus

Re: Chrysiptera talboti- Talbot's damsel

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm

They probably have spawned,have you tried to shine a flashlight into the cave?
The eggs should hatch in the 5th/6th night.Check the tank for larvae 1hr after dark.
Raising damsel larvae is tough.Check our threads here.
Good luck! 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Re: Chrysiptera talboti- Talbot's damsel

Postby altolamprologus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Luis A M wrote:They probably have spawned,have you tried to shine a flashlight into the cave?
The eggs should hatch in the 5th/6th night.Check the tank for larvae 1hr after dark.
Raising damsel larvae is tough.Check our threads here.
Good luck! 8)

Thanks for feedback, it's greatly appreciated. The cave curves to the side so I can't even see the damsel when he's in there.
altolamprologus

Return to Chrysiptera - Blue Damsels