Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)

Postby fla veteran » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:54 am

TODAY September 23 2008 I have started to do my science experiment by putting a pair of chromis together to see if by day 30 they are able to mate by giving them stable environment.

YESTERDAY was actually the day i started but today is the day I started it on here.

The 2 Chromis are in the tank swimming and at the same time are still observing there surroundings.

TODAY I MAY HEAD DOWN TO THE BEACH FOR SOME ZOOPLANKTON AND PHYTOPLANKTON TO PUT THEM IN THE FILTER TO REPRODUCE SO THE CHROMIS CAN HAVE A STANDARDS OF HAPPY. :D
fla veteran

Postby William » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:54 pm

Sorry to put a damper on your hopes. But 99% of green chromis sold are very small juveniles. Most green chomis sold are ~ 1/2" - while adults are ~2-3". Even if you acquired a "used" pair that had mated in the previous owners tank, 30 days would be pushing your luck.

If you have acquired two small fish as I suspect you have, you have no chance of them spawning in 30 days. Give them a year to grow up, and you might get them spawning. 30 days, no way.

Also freshly imported green chomis have a very high mortality rate. A mortality rate of > 80% is not uncommon. If you are serious about obtaining a spawning pair, I'd recommend starting with no less than 10-15 fish.
Will
William

Today September 26th 2008

Postby fla veteran » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:26 am

September 24th 2008 I bought 1 more chromis. as it starts to establish it territory in the tank it pushes the lighter 1 around. One of the blue'ish green'ish chromis are sticking closer to the big chromis and follows behind it like its the protector of the tank. But at night only two of the chromis stay under the rock and kicks the other chromis out. AS IF THEY ARE MALE AND FEMALE.

2 OF THE CHROMIS I BOUGHT FROM DAVIE/FLORIDA

1 CAME FROM MIAMI FLORIDA WHICH IS ABOUT 2 INCHES :roll:

THANKS FOR THE POST LOOKING FOR MORE FEED BACK :)
fla veteran

Postby TheChemist » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:32 am

Was the green chromis even raised with any decent numbers so far?
So far, I have only seen reports that raising the larvae to metamorphosis is still a chalange.
Andy

Onyx A. percula, A. ocelaris. P. kauderni, L. wurdemani, L. amboinensis, black ocelaris, E. oceanops, grama loreto, P. aldabraensis
TheChemist

CHROMIS

Postby fla veteran » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:40 am

NO THEY HAVENT. EVERY MORNING I WAKE THEY ARE IN A SCHOOL FOR 9:00 AM FEEDING THEN AFTER THEY ARE FINISHED THE BIGGER CHROMIS STAYS WITH 1 OTHER CHROMIS AND FIGHTS THE OTHER 1 AWAY FROM ANY CONTACT WITH IT WAT SO EVER... :x

STILL HOLDING MY BREATH FOR THIS............. :oops:

SOON THERE WILL BE PICTURES AND VIDEOS
fla veteran

Postby fla veteran » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:42 am

:D :D [size=18]THANK EVERY ONE FOR REPLYING I REALLY APPRICIATE YOUR FEED BACK[/size]
fla veteran

Postby fla veteran » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:19 pm

TODAY I WAS SUPPLIED A 2.5 SIZE CHROMIS AND VERY BLUE-ISH MAY BE A GREAT THING FOR THE TANK TO HAVE.... MY STUDDIES MAY TAKE LONGER THAN 30 DAYS BUT MAY-BE I WILL BE SUCCESSFUL WISH ME LUCK PICTURES WILL BE POSTED SOON........ :D :D :D :D :D :D IM SUPER HAPPY
fla veteran

Postby David M » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:41 pm

FV, welcome to MOFIB. As a courtesy could you please not post in all capital letters or bold face type, it is really annoying. :wink:

I have to agree with Will, start with a dozen or more in a large (6') tank and expect to wait for maturity and spawning behavior. I'd be prepared to wait as much as year if I really wanted to see this happen. If it takes less time then great but I'd allow for the year anyway.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby TheChemist » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 am

I have 4 green chromis. 2 are larger and 2 are smaller! They are always in a school formation, however I have never seen any courting behavior and have never seen any eggs or larvae from them. But they seem very happy in my reef tank and have been there for more than a year.
Andy

Onyx A. percula, A. ocelaris. P. kauderni, L. wurdemani, L. amboinensis, black ocelaris, E. oceanops, grama loreto, P. aldabraensis
TheChemist

Return to Chromis