Chromis Nitida

Chromis Nitida

Postby mattmunchkin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi all,

I just wanted to share the following video of my Chromis nitida tending a nest. Unfortunately I was too slow to capture the spawning but the following footage is immediately after the event. The male has shown high levels of aggression towards the female, initially the female attempted to tend the nest but the male refused to allow her to stay anywhere near and this is has not changed today at day two.

I will post some parameters and more detail, photos etc as and when possible.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8geCcRGPBj4&feature=plcp
mattmunchkin

Re: Chromis Nitida

Postby Luis A M » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Welcome to MOFIB! :D
C.nitida is a very nice fish!.You´ll be working with the larvae?.
Tell us about your experience and projects. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Re: Chromis Nitida

Postby mattmunchkin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks,

Yes, I will be looking to raise the fry. My breeding expereince is restricted to Tropheus moorii cichlids and royal ball python morphs to be honest. This is my first foray into marine fish breeding.

Hopefully this will be a fairly good starting point with this species.

The pair of Chromis I have had for around 8 months, the male is approximately 2.5 inches, the female slightly less at 2 inches.

Feeding regime has been a home made cocktail of mysis, artemia enriched with omega 3, spirulina, and TMC nutra plus reef reed twice daily.

The trigger for spawning seemed to be the addition of Acropora sized branched live rock, presumably a typical type of spawning site for fish of this family?

I will add water quality parameters shortly, I do currently use ozone. The cube housing the fish is around 20 gallons on a centralised system.
mattmunchkin

Return to Chromis