A. Percula Breeding Log

A. Percula Breeding Log

Postby FishboyBT » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:18 pm

My percs have been spawning for a while so I finally decided to collect the fry and give them a try. Here are some pics of the pair and the nest from day 1 to day 8.

They hatched last night and were collected with Chad Vossen's larve collector. It worked very well. There are a few stragglers, I would guess ~20 that didn't hatch last night so I will collect them tonight as well. I have the fry in a ten gallon with the sides blacked out, a heater with a bubble wand below it to keep the fry away, and another bubble wand on the opposite side to keep the water circulating. The tank has lots of rotifers and I have tinted the water with pyhto to keep them well fed. I have noticed today a large number of them are hanging out on the back wall. Does this mean anything? Also, I know at this stage they are very sensitive to light. Would a camera flash stun them? I would love get some pics.
-Blake
FishboyBT

Re: A. Percula Breeding Log

Postby thatfunnyreeferman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 am

they are sensitive to light but I've used a flash many times.
thatfunnyreeferman

Postby FishboyBT » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Great, thanks.

Also, I think I have my rotifer density too high in the larvae tank. I have not had to add any rotifers yet, they are producing faster than the larvae can eat them. Is this a bad thing? I am still adding phyto to their tank so they keep mulitplying. The only problem I see with this could be the larvae could be eating rotifers with little nutrition if I don't keep the water tinted green. Any advice?
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby thatfunnyreeferman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:32 am

If you have healthy live phyto just keep it green in the tank. Percs grow fast and you can start bs soon.
thatfunnyreeferman

Postby FishboyBT » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm

OK great. What day can I start them on bbs? Thanks for your help!
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby thatfunnyreeferman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:00 pm

I start a little day 4 and more day 5. Clowns will overeat and split a gut literally, so be careful early. By day 6 or 7 you should be able to stuff them and see them put on weight.
thatfunnyreeferman

Postby FishboyBT » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:42 pm

OK, so I should just monitor how large their stomachs are are and feed accordingly? What about the rotifers in the tank? Will they slow down and stop producing when I stop feeding phyto? When can I offed dry foods? Thanks again for your help!

Still haven't lost any yet. Fingers are crossed!
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby thatfunnyreeferman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:57 am

You will be able to see the shape of the body and the stomach content. With bs you'll see stomach bulging and pink color. The top dogs will get a lot more than the stragglers and can over eat, so be watchful :D
I keep rotis and algae going to meta around day 10. The smaller ones will need it longer. You'll be amazed how fast some will grow while others stay tiny and thin. Dry food can really foul the water, so I start adding it very small and make sure they are eating it. I usually try it first thing in the mornings day 6 or so and clean after. Water quality will go down when you start dry, so.. yeah be watchful :?
good luck
thatfunnyreeferman

Postby FishboyBT » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Thanks James! They are starting to get some orange coloring. :) If I feed the bbs will the phyto in the water act as an enrichment like it does for the rotifers?
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby thatfunnyreeferman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Yes, and I add a drop of HUFA (selcon or brightwell) to the bs hatchery to enrich the bs throughout the day. The bbs won't last long in the larval tank so i feed a squirt or 2 several times a day.
thatfunnyreeferman

Postby FishboyBT » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Gotcha. I enrich will be enriching for my new seahorse babies so that won't be a problem.
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby FishboyBT » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Still going strong at 10 weeks. :)
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby singdeelin » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:33 am

Do you know where I can buy a Chad Vossen Larvae Trap ? Thanks.
singdeelin

State/Region: Georgia

Postby OG10reef » Sun May 17, 2015 12:34 am

Lovely pair!
OG10reef

State/Region: California

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish