naked ocellaris

naked ocellaris

Postby Luis A M » Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 am

I found naked ocellaris in several Miami LFS.They are all the same,without any trace of bands or white colour.Oddly they are priced same as regulars,less than $40.Picassos sell for $150 in the same stores :shock:
Luis
Luis A M

Re: naked ocellaris

Postby BaboonScience » Tue May 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Yes, Luis
These are probably ORA naked O's. They seem to have a plentiful supply.
I am not sure who else is breeding them, although I do have a pair of two banded (front and rear) that I am nurturing and I am sure that others have naked pairs.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby vaporize » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:30 am

I have a hypothesis that they are not breed-able. :)

Even picasso that are released in much smaller numbers 3-4 yrs ago have breeding pairs in hobbyist's tanks... yet all these breeding naked seems to only come from one source.

Prove me wrong - please.
vaporize

Postby hawgdawg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:42 am

I also tend to believe they are not breedable. It may be a drug induced mutation?
hawgdawg

Postby KathyL » Sat May 08, 2010 10:14 pm

At a local store there is a naked ocellaris female spawning with a black ocellaris male. They are fertile.
KathyL

Postby vaporize » Sat May 08, 2010 10:19 pm

spawning is NOT an issue, Matt and many have spawning happened, but the eggs do not hatch properly or not able to raise the young.
vaporize

Postby KathyL » Sat May 08, 2010 11:08 pm

I am raising them right now. I happened to be delivering fish to this store when I saw the nest. I don't like hybrids, but I wanted to know how these would look and the store clerks were curious as well. With their permission and help, I used Dr. Lauth's soda straw technique to scrape and siphon the eggs off the rock and into a plastic bag, and drove them home. I put an airline into the bag and floated it in a heated aquarium tank. I went to to the grocery store, and when I returned, about an hour after lights out, they all had hatched. I transferred them to a 3 gallon fish bowl with an airline, and they've been eating rotifers for the past 4 days. Doing just fine. There's about 24 of them. Fertile. Sorry to disprove your hypothesis.
KathyL

Postby vaporize » Sat May 08, 2010 11:26 pm

It still does not prove that two naked are fertile :) Let's see the pics as you go along.
vaporize

Postby Luis A M » Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 am

Why shouldn´t they be fertile?.Vince R.could tell...
I just saw them again at Miami stores and they were priced at $70.But large,nice fishes.Besides lacking bands,they seem to have a darker shade of orange.It will be interesting to know how fixed is the strain,if they are fertile.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Zooid » Sun May 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Kathy, I noticed you called them hybrids. Are they truly hybrids since both fish are ocellaris?
I wonder if this is how they came up with Midnight clowns (black with no stripes). I'm interested in seeing how your fish turn out :)
Gale
Zooid

Postby KathyL » Sun May 09, 2010 4:20 pm

i suppose you are right that they are not producing hybrids. I just normally don't like the oddness of the nakeds or the white ones. I am not after any strikingly unusual fish, unless I find them attractive, which I am not finding the nakeds to be. But to each, his and her own.

Unless the creation of unbarred clownfish only affects the fertility of the male, which seems unlikely to me, I am seeing evidence that naked clownfish are fertile.

I suppose the reason I am raising them is just curiosity about things like fertility, color and banding. I think its interesting. When they metamorphosize, I'll take pictures.
KathyL

Postby Zooid » Sun May 09, 2010 6:48 pm

KathyL wrote:I just normally don't like the oddness of the nakeds or the white ones.

I tend to agree with you here. I don't find the nakeds or snowflakes visually appealing either. I do like SOME of the
picassos though. Most of the picassos that I like are grade B. My favorite picasso was a fish that looked just like an
onyx with just a white teardrop on her/his face. I guess I have cheaper taste hehe.
Zooid

Postby KathyL » Sun May 09, 2010 9:35 pm

I also agree with you. Slight misbarring is interesting to me. Grade Bs are sometimes rather nice. But ugly fish are ugly fish, and of course, that is my opinion.

I got into this mostly because I love the look of ocellaris clownfish. I still do, after raising thousands of them. I still like to look at them. I don't want to breed fish that I don't find appealing myself. Call me crazy. I would be lots richer if I felt otherwise.
KathyL

Postby vrado » Mon May 10, 2010 9:51 am

As with all of the other so called designer clownfish, the naked ocellaris from ORA are completely fertile. ORA has several pairs that produce both the nakeds and the extreme misbars. ORA has neither the ability nor the desire to sell sterile fish. Nakeds came about just like most other variants, by what I call opportunistic selective breeding. You find something different in the grow-out population and you try and breed it. In the case of nakeds a few were discovered in grow out about 5 years ago, paired and then eventually spawned. Hatching was good and about half were true nakeds and the rest had just a few white markings and are sold sold as extreme misbars. Interestingly, the no stripe mutation also carried a strange squared-off head shape. I though the odd head shape might discourage sales, but it turned out that most customers liked them. I know there are many opinions about designer strains, but the fact is I never had a problem selling every naked that was produced.

A bit off topic now, but I wanted to mention that there have been some changes at ORA. First, our President, Jim Norris, left due to health reasons about 6 weeks ago. Most unfortunatley Jim passed away on May 1, 2010. There is a service for him this Saturday in Vero Beach. I have also left ORA. I'm not sure what direction I will be going to next, but I do hope to continue in some way in promoting aquaculture. Dustin Dorton has been named the interim President, and i wish him and all of my friends there the best and continued success.

Vince
vrado

Postby Kmiec123 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:35 am

Wow, thanks for the inside and reply Vince. Sorry for the loss, him and his family will be in our prayers.
Kmiec123

Postby hawgdawg » Mon May 10, 2010 10:39 am

Looking forward to see how many turn out naked.
hawgdawg

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm

I just want to say that I am in love with the naked blks and I'm buying all I can find. They are my new favorite clowns. Good job ORA :!: And I'm sorry to hear about Jim Vince.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Marcel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:47 pm

I also like the naked clowns. I am a bit surprised, that nobody comes up with what causes the missing bars. I did some research on the web about breeding of naked clowns. Lately the midnight clowns came up, which is actually the same like the naked ones, just black.
There are many articles and books available about the use of thyroid hormones in the early larval stage. Dose and timing is the key.
I bet my butt, ORA will be the first producer of Albino naked clowns. If not any other breeder gets dosage and timing right.
Marcel

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Marcel,you could be the maker of all kind of albino misbars or "designers" :wink:
But of course you all will be too busy with the World Cup! :lol:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Marcel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Luis A M wrote:Marcel,you could be the maker of all kind of albino misbars or "designers" :wink:
But of course you all will be too busy with the World Cup! :lol:

Hehe, Luis. I am not interested in any sport.
Yes, if I had some picassos, snowflakes, platinums, etc. to play with. They are all coming now into South Africa. For the same prices!
Difficult enough to get B&W ocellaris.
I just hope, that the people don´t buy any taps during the world cup. So I can focus on my hatchery, instead of repairing taps. Getting a shit load different species in over the next few weeks and need to set up a new system.
Can´t make a living from selling a few albinos. :(
Marcel

Postby KathyL » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:15 pm

hawgdawg wrote:Looking forward to see how many turn out naked.
Product of an orange naked female and black ocellaris male:
Looks like 9 fish survived from the original 24ish. Most have a head band, all are misbarred. Two are nearly naked with just a couple of spots. One of the spotted ones has a bent back, so I'll have to euthanize it unless one of you wants it or I can give it away. I've never had a bent back fish grow up.... Still too early, but they look like the young blacks, and i hope they all do turn black.
KathyL

Postby Magik » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Hello Katy,

any updates? I am very curious - and I am probably not the only one here :wink: - how they turned up.

Cheers,

Magik
Magik

Postby sismand » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Is there any report of the breeding real naked clowns except ORA ?
Deniz Sisman
sismand

Postby sismand » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:51 am

Deniz Sisman
sismand

Postby Fishboy42 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:34 am

We've bred the naked clowns at SA before. We have a couple of spawning pairs, but the nests are small thus yields per pair are low. Some do turn-out to be naked. It's very unusual, since these are the only pairs at the hatchery with this problem (small nests without improvement over time). Are they fertile? Yes, but there seems to be something amiss...

Naked clowns can also be induced. I tried it years ago with several varieties (it worked), but of course I would never sell any fish arising from this technique (I will say that the stripeless clarkii is a bizarre looking fish though ;) )

Matt C.
Fishboy42

Next

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish