Clown Hatchery Blog

Re: Clown Hatchery Blog

Postby Picassoclowns » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Sweet
Picassoclowns

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 am

Eureka! So the frequent water changes 20% a week and siphoning the leftover food has certainly helped the quality of water. I tested the water and 15 ppm in the system with just cheato and surprisingly the control system that only has live rock.. What's even more surprising is the system I placed the bio pellet rector in the nitrates are reading over 100ppm...same water changes and siphoning as the other tanks. That tank is going through an algae bloom and very cloudy but for some reason the nitrates have spiked. Not sure what's going on here but my 600 gallon container showed up yesterday and once I'm done building its stand and plumb it today it should make for some very easy quick water changes.

So finally here's the good news.. The fish have noticeably started to get fatter again despite the cutting back of feeds. One of my extreme snowflakes had her ovipositor out yesterday morning and when I came back in the evening she looked thinner and her ovipositor was retracted. I didn't see any eggs, but the male kept cleaning a spot on the clay pot. I took a flashlight and sure enough I counted 5 eggs. This was their first clutch, so super exited not so much for them laying but to know the water quality is up and hopefully a sign my more established pairs will start laying again.
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

State/Region: Florida

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Heres the new 600 water container. having fresh saltwater shouldn't be an issue now. Im going to hard plumb it into all the system so that water changes will be as easy as turning a valve, no more buckets.

www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Well things keep getting better. Another new pair of snowflakes that i own just laid today. Weird thing is that they are in the tank next to the snowflakes that laid yesterday. All the fish are putting on more girth, ive just been feeding the crap out of them 3 times a day , until they refuse food and its starting to pay off. Heres a pic of the new mama, if you look closely you can see her ovipositor out.

www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

video time

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 pm

It just keeps getting better, i had one of my old oscellaris pairs resume laying yesterday and laid a large clutch and today one of my old pairs of maroons are getting ready to do the do. I keep getting requests for pictures of my fish and systems, and numerous questions. Please post on this thread so that i can answer them for everyone. In the meantime heres a video of one of my systems (alot easier then to take pics).. enjoy :wink:

hmm.. hang tight while i figure out how to post this video..

http://player.vimeo.com/external/599443 ... 2a6087033b

this is the only way i could figure out how to link the video (may take a while to load , its a long video)
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby Picassoclowns » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:22 am

You are definitely the ClownKing !! Fish are awesome . Setups amazing.
Picassoclowns

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 pm

so the nitrates in the systems are holding steady . In the control tank its 20, in the cheato tank its 30 in the biopellet reactor tank its less then 2. not a real fair comparison as i just did a huge water change in the biopellet reactor tank. we'll see if a biopellet reactor is everything its cracked up to be. On another note as mentioned before i cut down my feeds to help reduce the pollutants. i cut down my feeds from 5 plus times a day to 3 times a day, i also started to feed my own fresh food to reduce the organic decay produced by pellets and flakes. I started adding my mix of fresh seafood, algae, and probiotics to the feeds. Im not sure if its my feeds but my clowns appetites have definatly decreased, and am finding at lunchtime they dont eat as much when fed my seafood mix in the morning. It seems to hold them over till later in the day. Also there is alot less waste as it all gets eaten. Whats more strange is that my clowns previously laid every 2 weeks, im seeing some of them start to lay every 10 days. This never happened before the decreased feeds and home made food. My water parameters are certainly better then they have ever been. Another thing i noticed is that previous pairs that ive had for months to years all of a sudden have started to show signs of laying for the first time and some already have begun. below are some pics of 2 other pairs that laid this week. one is a snowcasso/ platinum pair that laid for the first time and the other is an established pair of onyx. I cant believe i waited this long to get my water parameters in check and their diets more up to par...its starting to pay off..

Heres my new layers - snowcasso/ platinum pair, they laid a very small clutch for the first time (eggs around hole in pot)

Heres my onyx clutch

Heres my extreme misbar/ naked pair that look like their going to lay for the first time soon.

www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:27 pm

nitrate levels in all the systems as of today are less then 5ppm. No single source of nitrate reduction has so far proven to outshine the other (i have still not tried the algae scrubber) the systems with cheato, the control system, and the system with biopellets all are running parallel as far as nitrate readings. im not sure why. The only reason my nitrates have reduced so drastically is the frequency of water changes and the change to my own blend of food. My Broodstock pairs are really going at it. (no joke) another pair of snowonyx started laying for me for the first time, and some of my older pairs have started to lay bigger nests.
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 am

So im really getting exited now. I caught yet another pair of snowonyx lay for the first time tonight. My special mix of frozen feeds is keeping them fat, happy and laying. Im gonna run out of space when these guys really get down to business. I pulled my first pot of onyx eggs for the first time in 4 months tonight. Gonna have to brush up on my skills again because it been so long.

Water quality and food quality is definitely a must, it took no time once my chemitries were fixed to get these guys to lay again. I also have all these new pairs that started to lay also. Ive been working hard to get my water quality right for a while now, since all my pairs stopped laying. It wasnt just a question of water changes, or biopellets, or cheato, I also realised it was the food i was continuosly pouring into the tanks. The uneaten food just built up and up , and as lazy as i was to first see it,it negativly impacted the fish. Ive been getting emails on how i fixed this.. easy- i did controlled experiments.

I set up multiple 2.5 gallon tanks. I took an equal weight of various foods. ie 10 grams of pellets, 10 grams of mysis, 10 grams of flakes, 10 grams of scallops etc. and dropped them in separate tanks. every day i took nitrate and phosphate readings to document their rise. No water movement was allowed in the tank (to represent the decaying food in the bottom of my breeder tanks). Why you ask? because i wanted to create the perfect food that would not mess with my water chemistries, and more importantly the number of days it actually took for the various food to decay before it started to affect water chemistries. Because im lazy and siphoning sucks, i really wanted to know how many days i could go between siphoning after feeding different foods. Based on this experiment i knew what i could feed and how often and when i actually need to siphon. The experiment was tedious at first , but now it sure has paid off.
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 pm

I thought i'd share my progress as it been over a month since my last post. The clowns continue to lay bigger better clutches. New clowns have continued to start laying that have not laid for me before. I placed a newly formed pair as an experiment in one of my existing clown systems that had alot of laying pairs and it took all of 5 weeks before i had laying clowns. Im going to hypothesize that the increased hormones in the water column trigger breeding responses in the other clown pairs in the same system. Ive also noticed that my clowns "mass" spawn. ie multiple clowns in one system will all lay together on the exact same day. This happens in virtually all my systems. Its like they know when the others are going to lay. The only other variable i can think of is the lunar cycle. Im going to have to pay attention to the moon and see if spawning is corellated to a full moon., even though they cannot see the moon outside.

I finally have a weekend off (well deserved) from my "real job" and will take some pictues to show our progress.

Our nitrates with our new food mix has never risen over 10ppm. I have to agree with the others , biopellets do work and in the one system i run it on the nitrates stay steady below 5ppm. They are expensive though and do cause some clouding of the water that i can not completly clear.

I also had a bacterial outbreak of somekind that i havent been able to put my finger on. I narrowed it down to using the biopellet reactor on my fish system that was previously used on another system that i have that houses my wild caught fish. I lost a pair of breeding maroons and tomatoes in the process. Ive since then this month had to place a uv sterilizer on all my systems because i did not want this to spread and have been thinking about setting these up for a long time anyway. I hooked up oversized uvs on them and have no more bacterial problems. the water is alot clearer too :D
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Sat May 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Heres some pics from today..

my biggest maroon nest yet..thats an 8 inch pot

And my first batch of wyoming whites

www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby Ben » Sun May 12, 2013 4:47 am

to many fish to keep up with
Looking good wyomi whites looking good for their size
keep up the good work
Ben

Clown Hatchery Blog

Postby DavideAM » Sun May 12, 2013 7:54 am

What do you feed your
Clowns?
DavideAM

State/Region: New York

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:47 pm

We feed a mixture of pellets, frozen food and other additives.

Its been a while since ive updated. Things are really moving along. Were pulling pots every day. Heres a video of one of our hatch out tanks to sum things up. I also came across a F1 mcculluchi female clown that was one of the original fish to come into the us and added her to my collection. I paired her with one of my males and hope she lays soon. From what i was told she has laid before but eventually killed her original mate.

one of my hatch out systems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHLqW33cOnU

my mucculluchi pairs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B66a-HMA ... e=youtu.be
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:53 pm

heres a vid from last month of the same wyoming whites in the above pics

http://vimeo.com/68160837
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:40 pm

time for an update... we're on fire. the lab is cranking out babies full steam. I think we've finally got this fish breeding thing down. I had the camera out and thought i'd take some vids and pics of some fish i shipped out this week..

vids

https://vimeo.com/tankbredaqautics/revi ... a59178808b

https://vimeo.com/tankbredaqautics/revi ... 2e2202ba43
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:54 pm

heres some pics

frozen platinums

oscellaris

gladiators

wyoming whites

www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby JulioC » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:08 am

What is the size of your fish when you sell them? The look large.

What is your nitrate level in growout tanks? I need to do a lot of water changes to keep them down but I never know what´s the maximum fish can tolerato while growing well.

Thanks!
JulioC

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 pm

My fish are a little on the larger side at 1 3/4 to 2 inches long when they go to market. I feed very heavy and do water changes to every 4-5 days on my grow out tanks to keep my nitrates below 10. I find that i get good results if i try to keep my nitrates no higher then 10.. I never let my nitrates get above 20, this is hard to do with so many mouths to feed and so much waste, but if you siphon after feeds this will really help keep your nitrates down. Also certain foods will keep your nitrates high, experiment and see what works for you.
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby JulioC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 am

Ohh, that´s why your fish look so large, they ARE large!!

I´ve found the same abaut nitrates, the lower the faster my fish grow. I haven´t tried to grow fish with different nitrate levels but 10 or 20 ppm at max seems reasonable.

What I´m trying now is to have a siphon taking water from the bottom of the tank to eliminate waste instead of traditional overflows. If it works I´ll post it.

Julio
JulioC

Postby GinaReef » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:34 pm

As I was reading these posts, I recalled the old under gravel filters. Has anyone tried a variant of these filters where the water is sucked up from the very bottom of the tank and run through a filtering system? There would have to be no gravel to catch the debris. It would only work for grow out but with a turf scrubber and maybe bio pellets it should help keep the water in better condition.
GinaReef

Postby Jjay88 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:16 am

Amazing fish!
looking forward to more updates
Jjay88

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:05 am

Thank-you for the kind words. Im not sure about gravel filters, they would be a huge nitrate factory. Water changes, siphoning and a careful diet helps alot.
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:14 am

Heres a pic of one of the picassos we have been working on.

www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby joebean » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:38 pm

very nice fish, care to share the lineage ? looks like the one called dalmatian from another breeder
joebean

PreviousNext

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish