Clown Hatchery Blog

Re: Clown Hatchery Blog

Postby Miles » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 pm

I've waited 3 years to say this...

My Black and Whites have laid a nest!!!

These are the one established pair I bought a few months back from DavidM. And suprisingly, they are still housed in a tank tied to the growout system. Unfortunatly, I'm not sure the day they were laid. They look to be 3 or 4 days post spawn. But finally I have a B&W nest!!!

Miles

Postby jadeguppy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Congratualtions
jadeguppy

Postby Scottt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:34 am

Yay!! That is great news.
Scottt

Postby chuggy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:15 am

wow 3 years you have some incredible patience. I waited a year and a half for my picassos to lay and upon laying her 3rd or 4th hatch she carpet surfed that evening. I bought another pair so i guess i might be waiting as long as you did.
chuggy

Postby Miles » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:00 am

This pair I've only had 3 months. 2 other B&W pairs are 3 years old with no nests. And I have a 2 yr old pair of picassos that have yet to lay a nest. So yes. I guess I am patient :)

I'm also now fostering seahorse colts. A LFS here has a pair of reidi that have started mating, and offered up the babies to try and rear. After a week, I have 6 left from the 10 or so they were able to catch. I need to build a fishbowl kreisel if this ranch is going to grow.
Miles

Postby Miles » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Just found a new nest from my original pair of B&Ws :) Thats 2 pairs now!!! Only took them 3 years!!! And no... nothing changed to stimulate spawning. Very small nest though... probly 50 eggs at most. But its a start. I may actually turn a profit next year if they all continue to spawn. So heres the tally:

3 pairs of Os spawning (2 have been eating nests lately)
1 pair not spawning (colon blow)
2 pairs B&Ws spawning (no nests collected yet)
3 pairs not spawning
1 pair of Cinnamons spawning (hatches anywhere from 9 to 14 day post spawn so hard to time collection)
1 pair Picassos not spawning
1 pair B&W female/ O male not spawning
1 GSM pair not spawning.

I have 10 more tanks on order to either start a second GO system, or new Broodstock system.

I did install a remote deep sand bed about 2 weeks ago in the GO system. I filled a 55 gal with 400lbs of play sand, drilled the side to drain into my sump and run a slow flow of water into it. We'll see how it does in a few months. Nitrates right now are about 80 :shock:

Seahorses didn't make it. One lasted 2 weeks. But we missed the last herd, and will try again weekend after next.
Miles

Postby Scottt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Keep us updated on the DSB. My babies are juveniles are finally starting to all grow up, and the nitrates are hard to keep below 100. Sounds like things are going well, glad to hear it!

What kind of water changes do you have to do to keep nitrates at 80. How many fish of what age are in that rack?
Scottt

Postby jadeguppy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:57 am

If you want and the store is willing, I would love to split the next batch of sh with you and help raise them.
jadeguppy

Postby Miles » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:55 am

Scott,
Right now, the GO is about 250 gals, and I do a 10 to 30 gallon water change about every 2 days (depending on my energy and water supply :) ) along with siphoning and a skimmer to keep the nitrates down. I think 80 is high and would like it to be in the 20ish range so I can throw in some snails. I'm hoping the DSB does its thing and takes it down a good bet. We'll see..
Miles

Postby jadeguppy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:17 pm

I've seen remote dsb's do wonders for nitrate/trite reduction. Did you use really fine sand? That is suppose to work the best.
jadeguppy

Postby KathyL » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 am

Miles, I'm interested in your results from the DSB. Did you use an aquarium 55gallon, or a rubbermaid trash bin? How much flow?
KathyL

Postby Miles » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:16 am

Its a 55 gal aquarium I had sitting empty. Its about 60-70% full of sand. Flow is maybe a gallon a minute. Not much at all. When I feel industrious, I may set up a low-flow "spraybar" at the far end of the tank to move the water across the tank. Right now its just a spigot in the middle of the tank. I did put a large piece of liverock in the tank, on top of the sand, so any pods or worms could drop off and colonize, and eat any detritus that makes it in there.
Miles

Postby Alchemik » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 am

I just read all your posts and still have some problem.
I put the pot into my aquarium and wait than my fishes spawn on the pot. Than wait about 7-8 days and take out pot and get into small aquarium. That aquarium should be cover something black on all sides ? I also start bubble into the pot and wait. Maybe I do something wrong because it hatch only few larvae.
Alchemik

Postby Miles » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:26 pm

4 pairs of B&Ws now spawning.

This pair up on the marketplace if anyone is interested. One full nest sold, and they are paid for.

Miles

Postby Miles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:37 pm

Two nests of B&Ws going. I've skipped a week of nests to see how these guys stripe up and if there is any difference between them since they are from diff parents. So far so good. @ 2 weeks, the older nest has many with mid stripes developed so thats a good sign. I'm going to have to do some rearranging to make room for all the hatching tanks. Such a good problem to have. I still have not gotten around to rebuilding/moving the main broodstock system into the racks. That may be step one, then use that area for hatchlings. Probably enough room 12 10 gal tanks. A few more weeks and I'll be swamped with B&Ws!! Finally.
Miles

Postby Miles » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am

Lost 3 batches in 3 days... I'm suspecting possibly food related and just got a new batch of Otohime to try on the next hatches, or something got in the tanks. The entire tank would die overnight, 2 after 50% water changes... so it wasn't ammonia. Bad food or bacteria. I tried methaline blue and a UV so I'm still thinking bad food. It was pretty old :( .
Miles

Postby realtime3d » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Are you still keeping your broodstock in 10g aquariums or have you switched to larger ones? I ask as I am trying to hide a couple of broodstock aquariums below my 300g reef and there's limited space.
realtime3d

Postby Miles » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:08 am

Most are still in the 10s. Only 3 are in 15s. They really don't roam around the tanks, so even smaller tanks could probably be used.
Miles

Postby ryancmatchett » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:32 am

I just sat and read the entire thread...any updates that you can share? Also, how did the DSB do for the trates? Thanks for writing everything down...it has helped.
ryancmatchett

Postby Miles » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Had some production issues... too many vacations/weekends away the past few months. Most pairs stopped spawning, but hope to have that rectified the next 2 or 3 weeks.

DSB... didn't see much of a difference in nitrates, but it does add a lot of surface area for normal nitrite/ammonia removal. I ended up redoing my sumps again and had to take out the DSB. Worth it... sure. Nitrate fix... nope.

Still no luck on getting the B&Ws past 1 month. They seem to do fine for a few weeks, then mass die-offs. The last batch I think was bad water, because I lost them all in 8 hrs after a water change, and the next day did a 1 gal water change on a 10 gal tank, and the Os were starting to die... Made up some fresh water, took 9 gals out, and replaced it with a airline siphon flow over the course of about an hour... all were fine. I HAVE to build a flow though larvae system for high bio-load filtration. Any good systems out there?

I really wish I had more time to devote to this, but if I can't sell enough to replace at least half my salary, then I have to keep part timing this. If I was able to make half my salary monthly, then I could justify doing it full time and quadruple my output. I've never had issues selling what I have. I can't keep up with demand is my issue.
Miles

Postby Miles » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 pm

All pairs back spawning. And Murphy's law.... rotifers crashed. I'll have to miss 6 nests. Acquired a pair of previously spawning Rod's Onyx... Male died a week later. Anyone have a small Onyx they don't want :)
I've been working with an up and coming fish food co, and they are very responsive to the specialized clown breeding requirements. We are tweaking sizes and supplements and they should have a full line of foods ready soon... From larvae weaning foods up to broodstock. They are US based and will be a better replacement for all the Otohime feeds. And you won't have to buy 2 Kilos of each size!
Miles

Postby Suzy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Sweet!

Can we get these from your site? Are they dry or frozen?

Will you help me use them if I buy them from your site?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby chuenwe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Good to know. 2 Kilos is really a bit excessive for just a hobbyist like me.
chuenwe

Postby vwwanksta69 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Wow your post over the years have been great. Thanks for the thread!
vwwanksta69

Postby Miles » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Its been almost a year since I pulled a nest. I sold my last fish back in Dec '11. I thought I had the CO sold last month, but the buyer was full of s**t. But after that, I figured it was time to regroup and start producing fish again. I moved 6 pair of fish and shut down 2 of the 4 systems. I now have all my broodstock in one system, minus 2 pair that are still in their own tank. I have rots and phyto brewing again and will start pulling nests this week. I'm hoping to be back to full production in a month or 2. But I'll need to build a new grow out system. Most likely it will mirror the brood stock system, which used to be my grow out system. It will probably be fall/winter before I have enough sell. I still have 2 pair of B&Ws spawning, and 1 pair of Ocellaris. The rest of my spawning pairs I moved and may take a few months to get back on schedule. I'm back to a twice a day feeding schedule, and I still have a ton of roe to fatten them up with. Thanks for all the support in the past, and I hope everyone will continue to support us and other breeders in the future.

Miles
Miles

PreviousNext

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish