Clown Hatchery Blog

Re: Clown Hatchery Blog

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:05 pm

How about 50 miles? Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. I like the ro/di idea. How do you keep the pressure correct for the membranes?
jadeguppy

Postby Miles » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:33 pm

The move was completed this weekend. So far w/o incident. :D I apparantly did not clean out the new water storage barrels enough though :( I made about 25 gals of sw with water that was stored in one of the new barrels, and put it on the broodstock tank system, since it was the first that I moved. After about 10 mins, I noticed the skimmate was a bit pink. About the same color as benadryl!! I just let it skim out, and nothing seems affected. I will do a lot of small WCs this week to be sure though. I was able to move Jack and Jill with a nest, and they are still tending it. The Cinnamons I moved w/a nest, and they are still tending. Eve was fat during the move, and when we came back with the GO system, she was laying a nest! So I hope they will settle in quick. But all I did was drain half the water out of each tank, teardown the sytem, move it to the new hatchery, and re-set it all up. They were offline no longer than 2 hours, and nothing in the tanks changed other than some live rock re-arrangement.
Right now, everything is just as it was at the old location. I'll be getting some new tanks to redo the entire GO system so I can maximize the space. I will install another rack in a week or two, and a third in a few months. The new racks are 3 levels not including the floor, 6ft wide, 2ft deep. I'll be able to fit 5 or 6 tanks side by side, 3 high... so 15 - 18 per rack, and multiple sumps on the floor. Hopefully it will take a while to fill up to capacity. 3 racks will be grow out, 2 for hatching and live foods, and 1 for broodstock. I'll get some photos up once its a bit more organzied. :)
Miles

Postby jadeguppy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:15 pm

What are you using for water storage barrels? I've been looking for another one, but can only find brutes and barrels used to hold car soap.
jadeguppy

Postby Miles » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 pm

They came from a rain barrel maker... from a carwash. He washed them out a few times. I washed them out a few times. Soaked them full of water, with a gallon of vinegar each, for 3 days. Washed out, and soaked a few more days. There were no bubbles or oil sheen, and the odor mostly gone. But pickle barrel users state they can smell the pickles for months, so i didn't think I should worry. But I was wrong. They were cheap, so lesson learned. I may plumb my RO waste water into one to do a continual flush for a few weeks to see if I can salvage them.
Miles

Postby Miles » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:08 pm

So far so good... 4 of my 5 spawning pairs have laid a nest this week, and the 5th is still tending a nest. Can't get any luckier than that!! Hopefully they'll take to the new rack setup in a few weeks just as good.
Miles

Postby jadeguppy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 pm

That is great!
jadeguppy

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Glad to hear your pairs are doing well Miles. And btw (in case I never said it before) this thread kicks butt. :wink:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Miles » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Mrs Colon Blow has opened up again, maybe even bigger than before. I think she needs to be retired.
I should have my first delivery of new tanks tomorrow to start rebuilding the grow out system. I'll be able to condense 4 20L's across 12 ft of rack, to 6 15s across 6 ft of rack. Then do that 6 to 8 more times :) I'm so excited to have the space I need to truly grow the hatchery to a size that may be career changing. A few more spawning pairs, and I will most likely have to work the hatchery full time. I've had to let many hatches go due to no space to put anymore fish. That shouldn't be a problem for a while.
Miles

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Miles,
I'm so sorry about that clown. :( I was hoping things were looking up for her. But the good news is that things are going well for your hatchery. Best of luck with everything :!:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby jadeguppy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Where did you get you 15s? Glad to hear things are going well. I may be talking to you a lot soon as I seem to be having some luck raising the seahorses and want to continue.
jadeguppy

Postby Miles » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Jade... I'm not sure how much help I can be with seahorses... But I'm always available for questions. I had the 15s ordered. Our LFS's get most of their dry goods from Royal Pet Supply. They had 3 diff brands in 15s so just ask a LFS to order them. I'm lucky that one of my LFS orders what I need at cost, and they were $25... (there was a $20 brand but they were out of stock) I will only be able to fit 5 tanks per shelf, but thats still 225 gals per rack, not including sump. I have 4 of the new racks right now, and room to add 4 to 6 more. The 15s allow for the most density, with the racks that I've chosen, that fit in my available space. If I fill all that up... I'll be moving to a warehouse, and doing this full time.

I have a tentative agreement to purchase some B&Ws that are proven spawners, so hopefully I can add them to the list of available fish soon. Still no spawns from the cinnamons since the move, but they are only 3 days behind schedule.

I have a new bottle of IA and ramping up my rotifer production. I have a hungry batch of Os right now, and 2 nests hatching this week. I also have a batch of decapsulated brine ready to go after that.... so I'm ready to fill up all my new space :)
Miles

Postby NirvanaFan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Excellent thread. I just finished reading all 10 pages.

Have the GSM clowns spawned for you yet?
NirvanaFan

Postby Miles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Welcome Nirvana Fan!

Nothing from the GSM's yet. But they are not in the most ideal tank right now. They will hopefully be moved into a new system in a few weeks and have a bit better water quality.

I have B&Ws coming in today (2 spawned previously). I was drilling, plumbing, and filling tanks last night and this morning preparing for their arrival. But they are going in tanks I had slated for the GO system. So I ordered 4 more tanks that will be in next week. I love having more space :) Just need more time and money to fill it all up!
Last edited by Miles on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miles

Postby Miles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 pm

DavidM's B&Ws are in. Yeah! An F1 Austrailian Female (no mate), 1 mated pair, and 1 other large female, and 2 tiny juvies.

I did a cursory look through my blog... and man do I have a LOT of loose ends and unfilled promises!! eh.. good intentions :)

He is my current list of broodstock:

3 pairs of Ocellaris Spawning (1 WC pair, 1 TR pair, and one pair w unknown female, and one of my babies as the male)
1 pair True Percs Spawning ( WC )
1 pair Cinnamons Spawning (WC)

1 ORA Ocellaris mated pair not spawning (The "Colon Blow" female)
3 pair of B&W non spawning so far(1 SA, 1 ORA, 1 unknown lineage from DavidM)
1 pair Picassos not spawning (ORA)
1 pair GSM's not spawning (unknown)

2 new B&W females to pair up

Some loose ends:

NatureRose topdressed photos... Did not take any after shots since the fish didn't seem to look any different :shock: But the next batch of food I made with less oil and more NatureRose was much better. The key I think is starting the NR as young as possible. Mine get it once they are on Spectrum Grow pellets, and in the large GO system to skim out the NR and oils. Won't feed w/o it now.

A few offers to collects eggs from locals with breeding pairs never happened :(

My 2nd batch was a 90% survival rate... I stated that should be the norm :shock: I wish I could replicate that again :)

The anemones in the tanks didn't survive, so that was a short experiment.

I did start the Bangaii challenge, but lost them in the big crash... haven't tried since.

I hoped to be financially in the black for 2009 - ROTFL!! With the move and expansion, 2010 won't be in the black either most likely... But It could happen in 2011 barring casualties.

I tried to culture yellow polyps in the GO tanks... yeah... didn't work.

I still have my first surviving cinnamon baby... I just realized his first birthday is in August!! And he may be 1 inch long!!! Didint think they were such slow growers. But he has been co-cultured with Os his whole life, so he may be suffering from ugly duckling syndrome.

I still have not gotten my SW mixing barrels online since the last ones I got that were car wash barrels, failed.

I will get some photos of the new GO system and overall hatchery once I get it a bit more organized and settled. Its still a bit of a wreck...

Pairs I've lost:
The mated ORA pair I traded baby fish for a pump, traded the pump for the pair...
The firefish/cinnamon pair I got from my wife's office tank tear down.
The Bangaiis I started the Breeders Challenge with.
The super huge fat pregnant female I bought :) with worms not eggs :( and her mate.
Miles

Postby NirvanaFan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 am

Any ideas on why the yellow polyps didn't survive? Did you have these in the same tank as the juveniles, or just plumbed into their system? When I was reading your thread I thought it would be a good idea, especially if it was just plumbed in. It actually got me thinking that I should do that with kenya tree and/or xenia when I get my system all set up.
NirvanaFan

Postby Miles » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 am

The polyps were in the tank with the juvies... They are supposed to like high nutrient water, so thought it would work. They just slowly withered away. Not sure why.
Miles

Postby Miles » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:54 am

OK... time for some new pics...

New racks at the new location...

New Broodstock!!

New Water Station...
Our land fill was selling rain barrels for $55. They have builtin fittings at the top to interconnect multiple barrels, came with plastic gate valves and their gaskets, and the drain/interconnect tubes. Picked them up Fri, and built the stand last night. They are almost full after 13 hrs. :) Did I mention I love having dual RO membranes !!

And some babies....

Os and Cinnamons

My first large group of True Percs to make it to GO

Miles

Postby jadeguppy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:35 am

Awesome. How are you contrilling the temperature? I see you have insulation on the garage door, but I'm certain you must be doing something more. Are you cooling the entire garage or using a chiller? BTW, I like your stand and set-up. Those are some sweet rain barrels too!
jadeguppy

Postby Miles » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:49 pm

I keep the brood stock tanks at 82 with a controller, so thats where I try and keep the air temp. That way the heaters and AC unit aren't fighting. I laid 400 ft of insulation in the attic, and as you see, insulated the door panels and sealed around the door to help. All the 20 longs will be replaced and the 3 levels of racks will all have 5 15s on them as shown in the one picture. I have 5 tanks coming on Wed to add to the current setup, then the next round will be swapping the 20s for 15s. The brood stock will be moved to a comparable system when finances are available. I hope to have 2 redundant systems each for brood stock and grow out for some isolation in case something goes bad. So at least 4 systems. Thats just a lot of pumps, heaters, skimmers, controllers, sterilizers.... $$$$

My Cinnamon was looking huge last night, so I hope to come home to a nest. She's the last holdout on resuming spawning after the move. Then its just the B&Ws. :)
Miles

Postby Miles » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:15 am

All are spawning again :) The Cinnamon pair did lay their nest last week, and should be hatching tonight or tomorrow night. Back to just waiting on all the B&Ws and Picassos. :)
Trying to decide on how to build a flow through larvae rearing system. I guess my hang up really is on the overflows and screening them correctly so they wont clog with rotifers/detrius/bbs over the course of a full day.
Miles

Postby Miles » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Put 5 more 15s on the rack and plumbed the drains on Sun. Still need to redo the supply lines. But I was waiting until I drill the next 5 15's I have already have, and redo the sump so I only have to do it all once. That will fill up my first 225 gal grow out system. 3 more to go :) I'm going to try to finagle a 55 gal sump in there, but I'm not sure if it will work yet. I want to have a high volume area with bio-media, high volume area as a DSB, and of course room for skimmer/UV/heater and external pump. Not sure I can do that all in a compartmented 55. So I may have a few pieces plumbed together. Now... what to do with 4 20 longs??? I just put together a 10 gal tank with 72 watts of CFs for 2 types of zoas I have to try my hand at zoa propogation. I'm sure the 20Ls will work for that if I continue down that road.
Miles

Postby Miles » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Anemone Training

These are the soft rubber cushy balls found at drug stores and toy stores. I think they were $4 each, and I made 4 out of each ball. Glued them to river rocks and set them on live rock in the tanks. They have been in there about a week. Seems to be working though :)
Miles

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Nice thinking
jadeguppy

Postby clowncrazy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 pm

I like your idea on nem training, and I have had the same idea before but never tried it. I never tried it because I was worried about glues/contaminates on the ball, what did you do to overcome this? Thanks!
clowncrazy

Postby Miles » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:26 pm

Washed them really good :) I tried superglue on some and aquarium silicone on others to see which one holds longer. I tried this once before, but all i had was rubber cement and it didnt bond to the rubber nem. So far so good on both glues... which are known to be safe in aquariums.
Miles

PreviousNext

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish