Advice with collecting snowflake eggs

Advice with collecting snowflake eggs

Postby Maddy » Thu May 12, 2016 3:58 am

Hi. I have two snowflakes that have been laying eggs for a while now and its my plan to try and breed with them. My problem at this stage is getting hold of the eggs. They are laying the eggs on a rather large rock and I understand you can either put a tile or pot near them or try and catch them when they hatch (which sounds complicated). My problem is I've tried putting a small tile near them and they just shove it aside. They don't seem to want anything near their nenni. What should I try and when exactly should you place the tile or pot near them? :?
Maddy

State/Region: Gauteng

Re: Advice with collecting snowflake eggs

Postby Alexandre » Mon May 16, 2016 4:55 am

Hello,Maddy!
I used to catch clownfish larvae with a trap made of PVC pipe, 200 micron mesh and light.
My results were better than taking out the tile with eggs, with better hatching rates.
Another thing you could try is to place a tile, or clay pot over the nest site, just after hatching , so that the parents would have time to get used to it. I think that you should use a heavy material, to avoid them pulling it away.
Another information: snowflake is suspected to be a lethal gene, when present at the same locus (Sf/Sf). So, you may expect to get less survivors than usual, with that pair.

Hope it helps you somehow!
Good luck!
Alexandre
Alexandre

Postby Maddy » Mon May 16, 2016 9:41 am

Thanx Alexandre really appreciate. Could you please please explain the pvc pipe method in a bit more detail and how you went about catching the fry? Sounds like an interesting different method.
Maddy

Postby Alexandre » Mon May 16, 2016 8:03 pm

I'll try.
I took a PVC pipe, 75 mm in diameter, about 15 cm long. Sieved about 5 cm from the rim, so that I got two pieces: one long and another short. Then, I used a PVC glue and joined the two pieces with the mesh in the midle. So I cut the excess of mesh outside the pipe and aplied silicone over the outside of the junction.
To make the trap, I hanged the pipe with mesh at the edge of a tank that was located just beside the breeder's tank. I used a piece o hose , full of water and placed one end at the breeders tank and the other at the pipe. To make a gentle drain from the breeders tank to the other, where the pipe was hanged ( the tanks at the same system), I close the register from the breeders a little . That way, the water from the parents drained to the pipe , on the tank next to it, which had a stronger flow.
To catch the larvae, I set a small underwater light that is sold here, just next to the end of the hose at the parents tank. When hatching occured, larvae were atracted to light and drained to the pipe at the other tank, being traped inside it.
In the morning , I coul collect them and place at the larvae tank.
Hope I could make you understand.
Regards ;
Alexandre
Alexandre

Postby Maddy » Wed May 18, 2016 1:59 am

Thanx Alexandre sounds very interesting. Luckily my husband is good with building things like this. I'll give him this and see if he can organise something for me. Thanx so much really appreciate it.
Maddy

Postby Alexandre » Wed May 18, 2016 5:41 am

You are very welcome!

Good luck!
Alexandre

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish