What went wrong? :(

Re: What went wrong? :(

Postby Luis A M » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Don´t.Be patient,you see things are improving? :wink:
The eggs were eaten because they were bad.Now you have fertile eggs and good hatch.Though still PMD.
If your conditions and feeding are Ok,% of larvae surviving 1st night should improve. 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby natureAddict » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:29 am

Luis thanks so much.

I've got 3 babies from them n all have the bad genes of the father :(. the bottom lip protrudes out. they are about 3 months old, cute little things though :)

any thoughts on this genes thing
natureAddict

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Most of the times these malformations are produced by obscure environmental conditions rather than the genes.Though some lines show them more often than others.As a compromise they are called "epigenetic".
Missbarring is the most frequent,but you see missing vertebrae,eyes,protruding jaws,flared gills and others.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby natureAddict » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:29 am

Is it absolutely necessary to rear the new born fry in darkness
for their first 3 days after hatching ? ie using the BRT.
Alternatively ....?
Can fry be reared on calanoid copepod alone ?
natureAddict

Postby mwsaake » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:48 pm

No, you do not need to raise them in complete darkness. In fact, they need light to be able to see to eat.

Put them into a tank with blacked out sides (I have a 5 gallon larvae tank that I tape a black bag around). You can either let ambient light work (I have had them on the kitchen counter with just the kitchen florescent lights on), or you can use a lower wattage bulb above them, with a light barrier (thin cloth, etc) to keep it from being too bright for them. You will know if it is too bright for them if they all swim to the bottom and go "head down".

I'm surprised you can raise your larvae on copepods. I would think they are too big for clownfish larvae mouths starting out. I use rotifers, at least for the first week, which are smaller and then transition to brine shrimp nauplii. For the rotifers, I gut-load them prior to the hatch, and then put them into the clownfish larvae tank the night I expect the hatch, along with green water (nannochloropsis) to keep them fed. I then gather the hatched clownfish larve out of the parent tank (using a cup/bowl) and put them in the larvae tank with the rotifers. I then continue to add more rotifers and green water to the tank. The tank really becomes its own self-sustaining rotifer hatchery as well with the green water, and I know that the rotifers area always nutritious for the larve. LMK if you don't have a source for live rotifers and nannochloropsis.

I noticed from the thread you were having large die-offs of eggs/newborn larvae as well. One thing I found is that my adults weren't getting enough variety in their diet, and not enough fat. My eggs started out silver, not orange/pink. They would hatch, but only after 10+ days, and then had little to no egg sack. I started adding food variety with more fat content to the parents' diet, and also started soaking the parents' food with Selcon, and noticed a dramatic improvement in the eggs and survival rates.

The following link two links are great resources that have great explanations on the entire rearing process.
http://www.breedclownfish.com/
http://www.fellsman.se/akvarium/raising_clownfish.pdf
mwsaake

State/Region: California

Postby Luis A M » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Some people raise them at 24hr L and some at 14hr L.Never heard about raising them in (complete?)darkness.Which means starving the larvae.Where did you get that from?.
IME,clown larvae do very well when fed with naups in a BRT,reaching meta in half the time. 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby natureAddict » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:08 am

thanks mwsaake, Luis, for sharing.

Great info. now back to the drawing board ( breeding tank) :)
natureAddict

Postby natureAddict » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:20 am

Luis, what size micron do u use for the copepod nauplii ?

Thanks
natureAddict

Postby Luis A M » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:37 am

Less than 100 mics.
Luis
Luis A M

Previous

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish