Breeding Platinum A.percula

Breeding Platinum A.percula

Postby Luis A M » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:09 pm

It is not clear if two platinum clowns can be mated and are fertile.The "platinum" character is said to be produced by a "double dose" of some part of the "Picasso"genome.Meaning that they show in some Picasso X Picasso breeding.
Should the mating of Picasso x Platinum be the best way to produce Platinum offspring?.
I couldn´t find much info about this topic.Any advice or data will be appreciated.
Luis
Luis A M

Re: Breeding Platinum A.percula

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:39 pm

Luis, i have found that platinums when mated, produce offspring less viable then other species. We currently have 3 breeding pairs of platinums, my oldest being 7 years old. They do lay like clockwork, and when i have pulled thier eggs they produce a mixture of platinums and picassos and regualr perculas. A cross breeding of a platinum and picasso will produce more viable offspring, but your best bet is to pair 2 picassos and get a yield of platinums from that combo. I do not know why platinums are less fertile, but this has been my experiance with them also
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

State/Region: Florida

Postby Luis A M » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Well,it seems that the platinum feature is a rather complex genetic expression,probably involving more than a single gene in "double dose" (homocygosis)as originally suggested.Otherwise platinum x platinum should produce 100 % platinum.And picasso x picasso should yield 25% platinum,always.And a possible lethal/deleterious gene brought in play by inbreeding could be playing.Perhaps other breeders could contribute with their experience :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby superfish » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:13 pm

always thinking there might be some genetic defects with platinums.

i have a pair, the female is a platinum the male is a onyx picasso. they are around 4 years old.
i have had them for more than a year now, cleaning the pot daily for the whole year, but never laid me anything.
at first the female is around 3" and the male is 2 1/2, the picasso male keeps growing larger and now both of them are about the same size around 3 1/2.
there has been no fight at all, i dont know what is going on.
superfish

State/Region: Illions

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:28 am

You must be patient and keep waiting :wink:
According to the "double dose"theory,you should get half onyx and half platinum offspring... :?
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish