Time before change?

Time before change?

Postby Camblonie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:55 am

I lost the female Occy. The male is alone with a blenny. How long do I have before he changes to female or do I not need to worry? Looking for a suitable mate but not sure about the timing.
Camblonie

State/Region: MIC

Re: Time before change?

Postby Luis A M » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Things could be slow with clowns.You could wait some few months and then mate it with a smaller fish.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby 2divers » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:00 am

I have had this happen also. I chose to add a smaller fish to make the change happen. Both times it took about a year before I got spawning. I was afraid if I got another fish about the same size there would be too much aggression as you don't know who is already a female. From what I have seen, you don't get any big fish at the local fish stores anymore.
2divers

Postby Derwins » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 am

and....Is it possible that a female is smaller than the male?
I have to get back a couple, and the female seems to be the smallest both (smallest but very round)
Derwins

State/Region: bzh

Postby 2divers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:21 am

In my experience, the female is at least the size of the male but most of the time she is larger and yes fatter. I guess there would be a possibility of a smaller one already being female but I have not had that. I always add a smaller fish, mostly due to aggression issues and then usually the change happens.
2divers

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish