help - what went wrong?

help - what went wrong?

Postby shorty » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:37 am

how many posts like this have you responded to?... lol.

Noob here - I tried to raise my first batch of ocellaris that hatched Sunday night (11pm-ish). The first day (yesterday) - everything seemed great. I fed rots and small amount of live phyto (enough to tint the water light green) @ 7AM, 12:30ish, and then 7ish PM. Had lights on from midnight Sunday night (hatch time) through about 10PM last night was the first lights out (almost 24 hours lights on). I had only one casualty (out of maybe 50) prior to lights out last night.

This morning, lights came on at 7AM - ALL but 3 of the 50ish larvae were dead. :(
Set-up: a 5 gal tank inside a 20 long. Oversized heater and small powerhead in the 20L which keeps the fry tank at a solid 83 degrees. Airpump and stone into the fry tank, valved back. I have probably about 3gal of 'broodstock' (DT/reef) water in the 5 gal. My readings in my DT are NO3 - 0.75, PO4 -0.08, Ca - 420, Alk - 7.5, Mag - 1360.

I have NH3 badge that reads 0 NH3 in the fry tank - also tested this morning with 0 readable NH3 with an old API kit. Thier bellies were fat last night. This morning - those that are alive have no bellies. I THINK they simply starved... but would really appreciate those of you with experience to chime in and give your opinions on what to do differently.

*What are your feeding and light schedules through meta?
*Did I try lights out too early?
*Should I feed an extra feeding in the middle of the night?
*How much % harvest of a 5 gal bucket of rot culture is typically sieved and fed per 'serving'? (I know different batches will require different amounts - but say for a batch of 50 - how much would you use?)
*some other factor I have not really considered?

An additional question: I have a lot of 'dust' accumulating on the bottom of the fry tank already. I wouldn't think these little guys wouldn't produce that much waste. So maybe I am feeding too many rots? Should I assume most of that 'dust' settling is over-fed rots? If so, why wouldn't they stay in the water column and be eaten? I do not have any heaters in the rot cultures - so they probably run about 69-70 degrees.

I GREATLY appreciate any help and feedback. Hoping to have a revisde plan before I try again in a week.

Here's a video I tool last night of all the little guys swimming around. The white balance of the video makes things look more green than they look in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02Kfnwj ... e=youtu.be
shorty

State/Region: Illinois

Re: help - what went wrong?

Postby Luis A M » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 pm

Your larvae survived the 1st night but died on the 2nd?.Strange. :?
Bellies look full,so you didn´t starve them.Overfeeding may be? :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby shorty » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Can you over-feed live food? Or, would it be oxygen that is the limiting factor there (as long as die-off / water quality doesn't become the issue).
Please notice late in the video, I pan to the left you can see my air stone - it is dialed pretty far back only a couple streams of bubbles.

I have a couple thoughts: 1) turned lights off too early and they couldn't find food. 2) not enough oxygen due to too many rots and not enough oxygen ?...
shorty

Postby Luis A M » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:03 pm

Oh yes,you can overfeed live food.Not so much the fish,as the tank.So I bet for your option #2.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby shorty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks Louis. Definitely planning to adjust that next time around.
shorty

Postby fkrezel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:32 am

did u find youur problem?
fkrezel

Postby Jclaas » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:50 am

I had this exact same problem. Please advise us your findings.
Jclaas

State/Region: East London

Return to Amphiprion - Clownfish