PJ Cardinal

PJ Cardinal

Postby aantreklik_jared » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:51 pm

Just thought I would put it out there that I have a batch of PJ Cardinal fry every fortnight. The father holds for 7 days before hatching occurs.

They are on a diet of New Life Spectrus, Spirulina Brine, Brine and whatever else I feel like throwing in on the day (even baby guppies that are produced from parents I use to cycle new saltwater systems gutloaded with tetra marine colour)

Eggs turn silver in mouth on day 5.

Tank is 12" wide, 12" long and 6" tall (15cm)

Each clutch holds approximatly 400eggs.

Will try raising at a later date... but just thought this might help someone if you wanted to give them a go first!

Cheers

Jared
aantreklik_jared

Postby aantreklik_jared » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:34 pm

after a devestating loss of a full batch of clownfish eggs from a dysfunctional heater overnight, I decided I was going to have a go with these guys and saw that dad was carrying... planned to strip him and feed him up for a few weeks in isolation before attempting to breed them... Mum and Dad live in my "refugium" due to disagreements between them and my darwin occelaris. They are being fed enriched brine, Enriched BBS, NLS pellets, and marinara mush.

No need... Eggs had silver eyes and he spat immediatly on netting. Eggs were placed under aeration in a plankton sieve sitting in one of my hatching tanks and hatching started withing 5 minutes. Larvae are 2.5mm long and have a 0.25mm yolk sac. flooded tank with ss rotifers to 10/mL and Acartia sinijensis naups to 1/mL. Added 1 L of T.Iso and 200mL of Nanno. Rotifers are enriched with Algamac 3050, Algamac Enhance and Algamac ARA in a ratio of 5:2:1 at all times (I feed rots to my reef tank when not rearing and had increased production for occ. hatch supposed to occur last night)

Photos to follow in next post
aantreklik_jared

Postby aantreklik_jared » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:50 pm

Mum and Dads home- dad in the left hand side post stripping

900mm wide plankton sieve at 68 microns for incubation

mouth and eyes

[/img]
aantreklik_jared

Postby aantreklik_jared » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Didn't get a shot of the yolk... but you can see the corner of it just behind the eye... sorry about the poor quality photos... using a toy microscope from toys r us... magnified 100X

Sorry the tank is also dirty... today is tank cleaning day... this is only the beginning of what is shaping up to be a very good day!.

Just checked... cannot see any larvae with bulging bellies... and can't get a photo of the babies either.

Cheers

Jared
aantreklik_jared

Postby timthetoolman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:01 pm

Hey Jared, what happened to these guys?
timthetoolman

Postby aantreklik_jared » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:26 am

Hi Tim,

No joy with these guys unfortunatly. I didn't have SS rots when I was trying. Although I now do and intend to give them another go once I have finished my thesis.

Cheers

Jared
aantreklik_jared

Return to Sphaeramia