Breeding Pajama Cardinals Link

Breeding Pajama Cardinals Link

Postby urbanrat84 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:06 am

Found this link today:
http://www.reefsuk.org/articles/captivebreeding/breedpyjamacardinals.php

No info on raising the fry but one owners brief experiences on getting them to spawn...
urbanrat84

Postby driftin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:50 pm

That's interesting, thanks for the link. In some areas not at all in line with my observations. For example, I only have a pair of pajama cardinals - so I can't say that they are exclusively a group breeding fish.

In some ways our setups are similar. My lighting schedule is actinics on at 11AM, halides at noon, halides off at 10PM and actinics off at 11PM. Moonlights on all night. The egg transfers do seem to take place at night.

I typically feed once a day at night, and not even every night. I feed Rod's Food, which is amazing and sends the whole tank into a frenzy.

Also curious that the eggs I've seen are silvery, not pink in hue. I'm sure that can be explainable in any number of ways. I can see real development in the eggs between the day they've been transfered and the day the male releases - they seem to gain size, and eyes are definitely visible by the end of the week.
-Jim
driftin

State/Region: Chicago

Postby urbanrat84 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Have you had any success raising the fry Jim?
urbanrat84

Re: Breeding Pajama Cardinals Link

Postby William » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42 pm

urbanrat84 wrote:Found this link today:
http://www.reefsuk.org/articles/captivebreeding/breedpyjamacardinals.php

No info on raising the fry but one owners brief experiences on getting them to spawn...

I would not place a lot of stock on that site.

It does not look like the author ever bothered to read it.

The title of the article is "Breeding Banggai PyjamaCardinals ", what he could not make up his mind which species he had?

And then in the first sentence, claims they are in a tank 150mm x 60mm x 60mm in dimensions. That would come out to what? 1 gallon? A 1 gallon aquarium with 2 clarkii, 1 yellow tang, and 6 cardinals? That seems unlikely.
Last edited by William on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will
William

Re: Breeding Pajama Cardinals Link

Postby Luis A M » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:26 pm

acroporas wrote:And then in the first sentence, claims they are in a tank 150mm x 60mm x 60mm in dimensions. That would come out to what? 1 gallon? A 1 gallon aquarium with 2 clarkii, 1 yellow tang, and 6 cardinals? That seems unlikely.

Obviously meaning cm,not mm.
Strange brits still err in the metric thing! :lol: They have some time with the "civilized"way of measuring things! :lol:
Though I agree with the comment. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby mikegreen » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:41 pm

Luis's obviously right on the measurements: - the trouble is, imperial measurements are still used here, alongside metric - don't know why we were forced to change :twisted: I'm old - I grew up in feet and inches
I thought the body of his observations seemed quite reasonable - size of clutch, size of fry, length of incubation. fit in with Witt's book(and the post is over 2 years old)
They spawned for him without getting territorial, as they have been observed in the wild. Agreed, he shouldn't rule out normal pairs just on his experience - but there does seem some reasonable observation there.
Can't see anything recent from him - but I don't know what nama he usually posts under - hope he's still working on it
mikegreen

Return to Sphaeramia