Pajama Cardinal Carrying Eggs

Pajama Cardinal Carrying Eggs

Postby driftin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:17 am

We noticed yesterday that one of our two pajama cardinals is holding eggs in his mouth. Has anyone had success raising the fry and could offer some tips?
-Jim
driftin

State/Region: Chicago

Re: Pajama Cardinal Carrying Eggs

Postby mpedersen » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:10 pm

driftin wrote:We noticed yesterday that one of our two pajama cardinals is holding eggs in his mouth. Has anyone had success raising the fry and could offer some tips?

Congrats!

These are going to need rotifers (probably SS Strain to start) as the larvae are tiny pelagic larvae. Greenwater technique and copepod supplementation are probably crucial or at least highly beneficial. Witt's book has an entry on the species, and ORA is raising them for sale now.
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby driftin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks Matt! Followed a link here from your Banggai post on the new CMAS site. :D

Since I first saw the eggs yesterday (although haven't paid much close attention to the cardinals, so honestly he could have been holding for a few days now) I think I have until this weekend to try to get prepared.

Can I get the rotifers anywhere around Chicago? Did a quick search for the greenwater technique, seems pretty straight forward.

Can I keep the whole rotifer culture in the same tank as the fry, or would I have better luck if I kept the rotifers in a separate tank and then fed the larvae at specific intervals over the course of the day?

First time breeding, sorry for what may be simple questions :oops: Any advice you could offer a noob would be really appreciated!
-Jim
driftin

Postby Clownfish75 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:40 pm

I have tired before with this species, had limited success, I only tried once, got some larvae to about 30 days but no settlement.

As matt said green water is vital I believe the people have reared them have used wild plankton but perhaps with the right enrichment you might pull it off.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby driftin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:45 pm

I believe the first batch was released by the male the night of the 2nd. It looks like last night he received another batch from the female.

I can see a real difference between these eggs and the last batch; it really makes me believe that I hadn't noticed the last batch for several days. That batch had visible eyes; these eggs seem smaller and have no distinguishable features.

I have all the equipment to keep a rotifer culture going... but haven't found a source yet for SS-strain rotifers. Anybody have advice? Reed mariculture doesn't seem to be carrying them.
-Jim
driftin

Postby driftin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:31 pm

Alright, I found a source for the SS Rotifers. Adelaide at essentiallivefeeds.com just started carrying them, I don't even know pricing yet.
-Jim
driftin

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Hi Driftin

Im not 100% sure you will need ss rotifers. if memory serves me correctly i think you might have decent success just on the normal one. I dont remember well when mortality was but i got decent survival for at least the first week and they must have been eating rotifers. I suspect that enrichment might play a bigger role later in the development.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby driftin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:17 pm

Thanks for the tip Christian. I had already ordered some SS strain rotifers by the time I saw your post :)

This past saturday was day 8 and right on schedule the male released the larvae after lights out. I had tried to net him to get the egg ball earlier in the evening, but since he's in my display it was nearly impossible. He wound up hiding in the rockwork and releasing in there.

I managed to siphon a fair number of the larvae out of the display and into my 5 gallon tank. Got some rotifers in there for food and poured in a little nanno. Today is Day 10 and they're still alive... not sure how much of that is due to my feeding etc. I can still see a bunch swimming in my sump this morning. They either can survive with no food for a while, or there's something in my tank small enough for them to feed on...
-Jim
driftin

Postby Driftwood » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:53 am

They may be eating pod larvae. Any updates on this batch?
Driftwood

Postby driftin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:50 am

I didn't have any survive from this batch. I think I fouled the water one evening when I made greenwater, they all died overnight.

Of course the two parents haven't transfered any eggs since! Which, although frustrating, is ok with the holiday travel coming up.
-Jim
driftin

Return to Sphaeramia