BC 2008 - Pterapogon kaudernii - Steve Kennedy

BC 2008 - Pterapogon kaudernii - Steve Kennedy

Postby spk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:45 am

Hi guys,
finally I am here and hopefully going to be able to contribute some information to this exercise.

To let you all know, I have currently got the following.

1) Pair Breeders main tank in living room (5'x2'x2')
2) 2 Pairs in the Breeding system
3) 2 Males in the Breeding system

Feeding for all of these is a nightmare at the moment. Because of the travel schedule that I have, my parents are doing the feeding at the moment. So it is relatively constant but not nearly enough.

My next trip to america, and I will be looking at getting a couple of auto feeders that can feed on the days that my parents cannot get there.

That is all for now. Will update more soon.

Steve
Steve
spk

Postby spk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Sexing Bangaii Cardinals.

I have seen this question asked many times and although I have only my pairs to go on, I believe that there may be a way to distinguish the difference between the two sexes. Of course, with just 2 pairs to base this on, I am not going to say it is the best or only way.

I have this picture whihc was forward to me at some point and if I compare my breeeding pair, this is most definitely the case.
Have a look and let me know what you think.

Steve
Steve
spk

Postby mpedersen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Ah yes - "Venting" - a good reliable means for sexing monomorphic African Cichlids, but often times ONLY once they're adults and they've spawned. Genital Papilla morphology and distance from the anus probably could be used. Generally best done by netting fish out of the water, flipping them over in the net and taking a close look (easier said than done in my tank, but maybe with my old pair the time has come to try this and take some pictures?)

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm

great to see you back and involved steve.

I have something similar in a german breeding book.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby spk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:29 am

Christian,

Hi there, thanks. Can you post the ISBN and or name of the book that you have. I am in Germany now and will try and locate it to have a look.
Thanks
Steve
Steve
spk

Postby till » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:07 pm

till

Postby Clownfish75 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi

Till that looks like a great book, i assume it is in there too.

however the book i have is

http://www.amazon.de/Erfolgreiche-Nachz ... 629&sr=8-2

does anyone knwo the author, would it be possible to ask if MOFIB can reproduce his image on the site.

Thanks

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby spk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Till,
Thanks for the book. Where are you in Germany.
Bummer and I am just leaving Germany today :(

Steve
Steve
spk

Postby till » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:53 am

Hi Steve,

i live in Marburg which is about an hour north of Frankfurt (Main). let me know when you re nearby.

@Christian: as it would be kind of advertising for the authors, i dont think they would bother?

Regards
till

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:35 am

till wrote:@Christian: as it would be kind of advertising for the authors, i dont think they would bother?

As much as I'd like to see it, I wouldn't post any portion of a book until you have permission from the copyright holder. Of course you can cite it and quote from it, but doing something like scanning a page or an image from the book would violate copyright (and it's important to note that the copyright holder is probably the PUBLISHER, not the author). I'd personally seek permission from the author though... :)

Also, just a refresher - the "MOFIB & Copyright" Thread - http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=978

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby arata » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:35 pm

nice work dude

just started my BC adventures got 6 BCs

one pair has spawned 2night, but wont know 4 sure till 2moz

i also notice females seem 2 get a gravid colour.....darkened area abit like a livebearer....

well we shall see

am based in cornwall
arata

Postby LazyK » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:13 am

That drawing looks like something described to me by Dr. Frank Marini. I was fortunate enough to get to speak with Dr. Marini last weekend when he was here in Denver to speak to our club. He told me that Dr. Vagelli had found this sex difference under the microscope.

I would think it would be difficult to see without a microscope.
LazyK

Postby CoralDynamics » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi All, not to butt in- but I think these pics are what is depicted in the drawing... This is a pair I am working with currently.

Hope I am not stepping on toes...

and

Stephen Pollock
Coral Dynamics, Inc.

http://www.coraldynamics.com
http://www.bangaii.com
CoralDynamics

Postby FMarini » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:49 pm

stepehn---great to see you here and yes.......
right on w/ the genital papillae...gee i never thought i'd be saying that in public
FMarini

Postby spk » Thu May 01, 2008 6:17 am

Fantastic,

Finally some documented proof. Those are great pics. hod did you get the fish to stay so still.

does anyone know where I can get a picture jar, or how to make one?
Basically two pieces of glass, that the fish sit in keeping it still for you to take pics.
Steve
spk

Postby spk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi there folks,
Ok update time. Couple of weekends back I went and bought some more Bangaii. They have grown very well under the administrations of my parents as I work.

I have taken some pictures this evening and I have notices that there may be some interesting developments. I believe that the female is showing signs of eggs and when comparing her and the male together you will see a difference.

Female:

Male:

Notice how the female has a bulge and not a flat abdomen as the male.
Steve
spk

Postby Amie » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi Steve, great pictures. I can tell when my female is pregnant because her abdomen turns a dark brownish/grey color. Your pictures show the color change as well.

When I click on the picture of your female to enlarge it and compare it to your sexual differentiation chart above, wouldn't you say that it looks like a male? Is it possible you have your pictures labeled backwards?
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby spk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:51 am

Amie,
I thought so too at first. But when I look at the picture that is labelled as the female, her abdoment is rounded, where as the male is very flat. I did not notice this when I purchased them and the extended abdomen, is where the other "bump" appears. I am almost 100% sure that there was no "bump" there.

But we will have to wait and see what happens. I am not sure how old these are, and I wish I had some way of knowing. It looks as if I will have to wait for the pair to hold eggs before final decison can be made.
Steve
spk

Postby Amie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:24 am

I think the pictures of your banggai's are labeled correctly and it definitely looks like the female is pregnant. I was wondering if your sketch was labeled correctly.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby spk » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:17 am

Amie,
Hey there. Sorry miusunderstood what you had said. Yes there is that possibility. I was given this sketch some time ago and just re-attached it.

Steve
Steve
spk

Postby spk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi there,
quick update:
Just looked into the pair of Bangaii in the fish room and the male is carrying. It is such a pity that I am going on my travels again next week, else I would pull the eggs. But 28 days from now and you never know.
Steve
spk

Re:

Postby timthetoolman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 am

CoralDynamics wrote:Hi All, not to butt in- but I think these pics are what is depicted in the drawing... This is a pair I am working with currently.

Hope I am not stepping on toes...

[ http://bangaii.mobi/images/pairs/pair1/1FemBang_Vent.jpg ]

and

[ http://bangaii.mobi/images/pairs/pair1/1malBang_Vent.jpg ]

Which one is the male?
Thanks.
timthetoolman

Postby spk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:18 am

Tim,
I would have said that the bottom is the male and the top one is the female. That is how my pair look.
Steve
spk

Postby timthetoolman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Out of the 4 I picked up, 1 (possibly 2) of them have a round openning. The one I'm sure has the openning had some black in the middle (maybe it was trying to, ummm....get rid of some waste? Not really sure what I'm looking at). And the largest one definitely has the two ?thorn? looking appendages. So maybe I have at least one pair. I haven't heard of any fueding today from my wife so I'll keep posting. I'll try to upload some photos and post them on my thread.
Thanks, Tim
timthetoolman

Postby spk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Tim,
Great looking forward to your posts.
Remember that the it is the second "thorn" as you describe these, that the female does not have.
Steve
spk

Next

Return to Pterapogon - Banggai Cardinal