Salarias ramosus spawning (baboonscience)

Salarias ramosus spawning (baboonscience)

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:03 am

So, they finally spawned. Rather, I finally have a pair and they spawned! Funny, because I was just about to give up and separate this pair. But now, the male is guarding this.
Starry Blenny Male with Eggs.JPG

Well, it hatched out last night and this morning after approximately 7 days. I harvested about 200-300 and did not close to catching them all.
More tomorrow.
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Re: Salarias ramosus spawning (baboonscience)

Postby jolson » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:44 am

congratulations, I say never give up as long as you have tank space. My problem is that every time I see a new spawning I want to try and just run out of tanks
jolson

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:41 am

This is day 2 on the growout.
The nest that you see in the first post is about 1.5 inches wide and wraps almost all of the way around the inside of the tube. I was guessing 500-800 eggs of which I harvested (siphon method) about 200 from the broodstock tank to a larval growout tank.

Now the notable part: I took a look the next morning and most of the larvae in the broodstock tank were still swimming there. Some had made it through the screen and some were caught by the pervasive hydroids but there were a bunch still there. Fewer but most still there at noon. Looks like these blennies do not eat their young. Yet.

I will try to get some pics of the fry which are quite small. But they do appear rotifer ready.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby FishboyBT » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Fantastic Job! Congrats on the spawning. So, how are they looking today? Are they going for the rotifers? SS strain I assume, correct? I would love to hear more about your setup.
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby BaboonScience » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Blake
The first hatchout took me by surprise. I had s strain rotifers but not nearly enough. The 200 cleaned me out in about 2 days. :( There are several left that I think took to the regular rotifers. But I did learn a thing or two and there is another nest!

Main thing is that they do take to s strain rotifers (B. rotundiformis). I am not really sure what to pack the rotifers with. I tried Tetraselmis for a first try because I had plenty fresh on hand.

I also learned to have the microscope camera handy at all times.
No good pics.
John
BaboonScience

Postby FishboyBT » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Progress is progress, no matter how small. You've gotta start somewhere right? At least you concluded that they WERE in fact eating rotifers. That should be a fairly easy issue to fix right? Rotifers aren't difficult to culture, it just takes time and $$ for phyto. Please keep us posted, I eagerly await your updates. :D
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby BaboonScience » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:48 pm

I do have another nest going. I am also trying to get another pair together.
This time I will be ready with the microscope camera to document the presence of rotifers in their gut.
Until then, I am beefing up my ss rotifer cultures.

I want to post some pictures of these guys.
John
BaboonScience

Postby BaboonScience » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Second nest is developing quite well. The eggs have started to darken. I am looking for a hatchout in about 5 more days.
BaboonScience

Postby Alina » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 pm

It's awesome you guys are having this much success with this species. They're one of my favorites. I was just curious, though.. How do you tell the sexes apart? I swear that some look female and others look male, but it's possibly my imagination. I'm guessing the eyebrows or something with the color would be a consideration. Have you guys noticed any differences? The animals here are $50 each, so I want to get a pair on the first shot - or at least the genders right.
Alina

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:54 am

Alena
Welcome to MOFIB!

I know people that have proven quite good at picking pairs. They claim that they can easily tell male from female. Me? Not one of those people.
It is kind of funny that, once they have paired up, the male "looks" the part and so does the female. But that is just my personal opinion.
In many species, if they do not immediately try to kill each other, then at least one is not a male. If they hang together, they may be male and female.
A healthy abdominal bulge is a good sign of an egg mass (female).
Blennies change sex so a large and a small are a safe bet. Keep plenty of hiding places, mating can be a tough process with many of the blennies.
I would suggest that you try to get the local store to test a potential pair in one of their tanks before you buy. This along with the big/small selection are your safest bet, IMO.

I missed the last hatchout but my pairs have new nests that are about two days old. I should have the timing down on this next hatch out.
John
BaboonScience

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:41 pm

BTW, they seem to be on a 12 - 14 day regular spawning cycle. The eggs usually hatch in about 8 days. Small larvae but fairly well developed. I am not very good at the camera but will try to get some pics with the dissecting scope this time through.
John
BaboonScience

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:52 am

John, I can easily sex mine ! I have 1,2 and the mail is taking both females for the ride. His first anal fin rays are clearly extended. Difficult to see as he must be swimming and have the anal fin at least partly up. My male is also 1,5x the size of the females although I purchased all together at the same size. I have regular eggs (every 10 days) but did not try to raise them yet. Was waiting for one here to show that it is possible.

PS - Regards to Tina
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby BaboonScience » Sun May 29, 2011 1:06 am

A little late but A BIG THANKS Peter. That helped.
I have had quite a few spawns since my last post here. For the most part I have had to let them slide due to work load. They do take attention.
I have been able to pay attention to the last 3 or 4 and have some interesting information.
Due to the limited production of rotifers and copepods tat I have, I have been harvesting only about 150 per spawn and splitting them between the available food sources.
L strain rotifers give very little inspiration. Larvae last about 48 hours if that. There is some sign of successful strikes as food in the gut but apparently not enough.
SS Rotifers achieve limited success. Yes, there is lots of activity. I observe many strike attempts and a great deal of food in the gut. Still, after about 4-5 days most die. 2 - 4 usually remain and move on to larger food items.
Oithona gives much the same results as the SS rotifers. Activity and apparent vitality of the larvae seems greater over the first several days, but after about 5 days, most still seem to perish. This leaves the same 2 - 4 that seem t beat the odds. Not production quality returns to say the least.
I have Parvocalinus and Pseudodiatomus (calanoids) in culture right now and hope to have them available at next hatchout in about 5 days.

Diet: All food sources are fed an even mix of tIso, Rhodomonas lens, Tetraselmis and Nanochloropsis. The copepods seem to key in on the smaller phyto first. Rotifers hit everything.

Still working on this one.
John
BaboonScience

Postby BaboonScience » Mon May 30, 2011 1:06 am

New spawn today, about 1000 eggs Plus or minus.
Now, I have about 6 days to get the infrastructure in place.
Cross your fingers.
John
BaboonScience

Postby r33fking » Tue May 31, 2011 12:54 pm

its interesting i am getting the same longevity out of mine . 4-5 days on what i think is s-strain fed on rotifer diet hd. i may need to take some measurements of my rots to make sure they still are s- strain . my pair is on the 12 to 14 day cycle as well .
im thinking its all about the pods with these guys ...

an interesting side note : about two months ago my broodstock system was under a full on parasite attack . so i had to qt the affected tanks and treat with cuprimine . i had 2 spawns from the S.ramosus pair while running the treatment at 84 F and they were viable !
lucky it didnt affect my clown pairs . but i did lose my male yellow headed jawfish and a straggler A.polymnus .
good work john keep us posted .
i have a spawn coming tomarrow.
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Return to Blenniidae - Blennies