S.ramosus log - r33fking-

S.ramosus log - r33fking-

Postby r33fking » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:55 pm

heres some shots of 2 dph
im trying to figure out it there eating my rots.

Edited your post so all four pictures would show up [spawner]
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Re: S.ramosus log - r33fking-

Postby r33fking » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:23 pm

well i had determined that they were eating S strain rots .
i was able to get them to day 4 with rotifer diet instant algae as green water .
rots @ 15 per ml
12 hour lighting ( over head)
80 degrees F

for the first 3 days i didnt have them on flow thru until the 3rd night .
then on the morning of the 4th i noticed a complete mortality and high NH3.
possibly due to over crowded conditions ( thousands of larvae) , a lack of bio film in the tub = zero nitrification
r33fking

Postby BaboonScience » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:27 am

On most of the blennies that I have had success with, I use a live Tetraselmis sp. Green water and about 30 rots per ml. Yes, I have to thin the rotifers periodically but they seem to key in on the young ones at first. I use my kreisel style container with enough single bubble aeration to get a slow steady roll of the water. Keep the Tet as a light green or just enough that the rotifers will clear it in about 12 hours. Supplement with Iso, initially. It will take them a couple of weeks to get to the fresh hatch bbs stage, some species sooner. Once they latch onto the bbs as a food, they switch over quickly, only a day or so. I have seen considerable variation in growth rates, so some will take much longer to get to the bbs stage.
Hope this helps a little.

Edit: I wanted to add that I go for 24 hour light for the first week over part of the tank. They seem to feed better and grow faster.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby r33fking » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 pm

i was thinking of uping the rotifer density .
a friend of mine mass produces zebra fish for research labs and he stocks his fry tanks with such a high density of rotifers the fish have no choice but to ingest them while breathing and swimming .
i thought it was a neat approach . has anyone tried this with marine larvae ?

and thank you baboon
r33fking

Postby r33fking » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 pm

r33fking wrote:i was thinking of uping the rotifer density .
a friend of mine mass produces zebra fish for research labs and he stocks his fry tanks with such a high density of rotifers the fish have no choice but to ingest them while breathing and swimming .
i thought it was a neat approach . has anyone tried this with marine larvae ?

and thank you baboon
r33fking

Postby FishboyBT » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:08 am

Any updates on these guys?
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 pm

I don't want to jink myself, but my S. ramosus spawned last week. They should hatch out sometime today or tomorrow. Hoping to start my very own thread shortly after that.
There are perhaps 500-600 eggs in the nest and they have silver eyes after about 7 days at 79 F. The female already looks like she swallowed a marble again..
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby r33fking » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:41 pm

nice!! i have had a little issue with my female dumping eggs and not adhering them to anything . i have made some improvements to the diet and have put the female back in with the male (she decided to take a vacation to the cardinal tank for a couple weeks ..... good jumper) and they are getting along well .
mines also swallowing golf balls
r33fking

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:55 am

Sorry to hear about your female dumping eggs. Funny, I have seen that when the male is already hosting a nest. It will get better.
I think that diet is important. I feed a mix of various fresh fish, Tuna, Salmon, Pompano (amberjack) and whatever else is there at the local fish market. Mix with fresh squid, salad shrimp (uncooked), lots of nori and some flake food for binder. Mix in a fresh clove of garlic, an multivitamin and a fish oil cap per pound and that is pretty much it. fine chop it all and freeze in a bunch of zip locks. Use a cheep food grater (dollar store version) to get it to fish food size and feed it.

I had that hatchout tonight, so I am going to start my thread.
Please keep this one up to date! Algae eaters are a very sought after fish. They may be cheap, relatively speaking but you call sell them all day long.

John
BaboonScience

Postby r33fking » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 pm

i think i have a spawn coming up the female (yesterday) was looking very round carrying her eggs high in the belly and this AM she seems to be carrying them lower in the belly .
hope i can get this spawn past day 4 hope hope hope
r33fking

Postby FishboyBT » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Good luck :) Keep us posted.
-Blake
FishboyBT

Postby r33fking » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:07 pm

well she dumped her eggs AGIAN!!!
i guess i need to make further adjustments to the diet .... ima gonna steal your recipe John
r33fking

Postby r33fking » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:06 pm

well i got another viable spawn . it was fairly small this time .
i wasnt sure when they spawned so when i noticed eyes in the eggs i pulled the site for artificial incubation ( little did i know it was a week early !!!)
after about 5-6 days with no hatch i statred to worry but then...... 100% hatch !!!
so i am at 3 days with them in a 20 gal tub , s rots , 78F, on slow flow thru.
my rot culture has been temperamental lately so i cranked the heat up for a population boom ...... hope hope hope
r33fking

Postby r33fking » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 pm

oh ... i am not using green water and they are staying off the walls this time
r33fking

Postby r33fking » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:57 pm

well i lost the last batch due too a lack of rotifers !!
day 4 seems to be the mark to beat .
i have another HUGE spawn. hatch will be friday . i have put in an order for a liter of rotifer diet HD. if it comes in time i should be ok . it seems with elevated temp and two days i can get my starving rot culture to boom.
im really happy my pair has ironed out there issues and are giving me regular spawns . next step is to build a brick wall to beat my head into!!! LOL
r33fking

Postby r33fking » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 pm

oh .. i have added new life spectrum thera A pellets to the diet and it has solved the egg dumping issue.
r33fking

Postby r33fking » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:25 pm

another big spawn and great hatch .
i maintained rot density at 30-40/ml
freshwater / I.A. drip at 1 drop/sec. to counteract evap and maintain greenwater for rotifer co-culture.
on day 2 i dripped in 1-2 liters saltwater from main system to increase water volume in the tub and to reduce nh3 .
nh3 continued to spike so i added another liter of water on day 3 and day 4 .
these fry are very sensitive to light so i have a light positioned as to illuminate half of the larva tub as an experiment to see what side they prefer .
it seems that some larvae were attracted to the illuminated walls of the tub but most stayed in the water column in the partially shaded areas .
i have gotten to day 5 now and still have a few left .
day 4 seems to be a major hurdle for these guys . any ideas on starvation time?

so greenwater seems to help as does high rot density.
now i need to assess the nh3 issue . im kinda at a loss as far what to do to limit the nh3 aside from starting the process on flow thru but then maintaining high rot density and greenwater seems really difficult .
r33fking

Postby r33fking » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:27 pm

im hoping to try amquel but im not sure of a safe protocol
r33fking

Postby BaboonScience » Sun May 29, 2011 12:31 am

Any progress?
I have had another spawn and am trying to gain some added information before hatchout. To date, my throughput has been abysmal at about 2 per 1000. Yes rotifers work but not well. Light is never much of a problem with me.
BaboonScience

Return to Blenniidae - Blennies