Antennatus tuberosus aka the pygmy frogfish

Antennatus tuberosus aka the pygmy frogfish

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Antennatus tuberosus is also known as the Pygmy Angler and the Tuberculated Frogfish. It is in the genus Antennatus (not Antennarius like most anglers). They are from Hawaii and are 2.8 in. as adults. I have made it to 19 days post hatch with their larvae so far and pictures are posted in our webalbum. I should also add that I have found the correct name and their adult size for the fish in Reef Fishes Volume I by Scott Michael.

Here is the link to the webalbum
http://picasaweb.google.com/SeaStarInno ... directlink

Amy

Nest

Larvae 7 Days

edit:spawner:added photo links
Last edited by Amie on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Edited at Amy's request
Midnight Angel

Re: Antennatus tuberosus aka the pygmy frogfish

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:01 pm

I have two pair of these frogfish. One pair has the pink faces and are in pictures in the webalbum twice. The spawning pair are yellow. There is a picture of the female at the end of the album.I have two 10 gallon tanks that these pairs live in. I believe that the yellow pair were spawning a while before I realized it. The first nest I found had already started to break apart when I found it. You can see dates of the pictures beside them in the webalbum. These dates are the dates the pictures were taken. So you can see that I have had these guys spawning for a little while. They spawn at least once a week and have done so since I first noticed the nest.

Amy
Last edited by Amie on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Before spawning the pair hangs out together under a rock (see the picture in the album) or under the sponger filter.
And before spawning the anglers touch each other lots and appear very bonded. I should say now that the spawning pair were collected as a pair. I formed the other pair (pink faces) but so far there have been no spawns. So they may not be a actual pair.

After a lot of touching the pair jump up into the water column and the egg raft is released. The male fertilizes the egg raft (what the egg mass is called). The egg raft then floats at the top of the water just like other angler nest. If anyone would like to read more about Frogfish, just look here on MOFIB, that is how I learned that the nests are called egg raft.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:29 pm

And after about 3 to 4 days (depending on temperature) the eggs hatch into prolarvae. I do not keep a heater in the pair's tank so the number of days before hatch can vary. I try to grab the egg raft as soon as I see it though because I usually have grass shrimp in the tank that will start to attack the raft. I place the egg raft in a acrylic surface viewer that Justin made. You can see a picture I took of it and Justin's hand holding a flashlight in the webalbum. I'm sure Justin misses his surface viewer btw. :lol: But it has worked perfect as a place for the egg raft to develop into prolarvae. I leave the prolarvae in the surface viewer until they develop into larvae. And I have to thank Matt Wittenrich now for his advice on how to take care of the prolarvae.

Amy
Last edited by Amie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Once the prolarvae become larvae they are moved into a 20 gallon BRT. As with all other frogfish there are lots of larvae but I do think these guy's egg rafts are one of the smallest. And that would make sense due to the size of these frogfish.

The 20 gallon BRT has a central standpipe with mesh over it (I can't remember the size of the mesh though :oops: ). It has a peristaltic pump on a timer that changes 2 gallons of water a day (when I use it). I am still playing around with how much water to change and exactly when to do it. And in fact the best run to date happened with no water changes. But it is still too early to say what is best.

The larvae are not too small and not large. They are smaller than dottyback and watchman larvae. But they are larger than Priolepis larvae.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

As for the larvae feedings I have been using s rots. I am going to stick with these in the hopes of using nothing but them and L rots. But if I get stuck I will try pods. This is about all I can add so far. Oh and I'm using Reed's rotiferdiet paste to feed the rots. If I think of anything else I will add it. I may not update this as often as some may like but I have been very busy here.

Also thanks again to Justin, Stefan, Les, and Matt W. Without these guys I wouldn't have made it this far. I lost my last larvae at day 19. I thought I had enough to make it to day 20 so I waited on taking a picture. I wish I had taken that picture now. :roll: I now have larvae at day 6 and day 10. I should have a new egg raft soon as well so I'm still very much on this.

LOVES to all .......I'm out for now,
Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby spawner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Great posts. We need to link some of your photos if that is ok.
spawner

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:09 pm

You can if you like ( if you can). I don't know how to do it from this computer that I'm on now fwiw. So I just post the link to the webalbum instead at the beginning of this thread.
Last edited by Midnight Angel on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:53 pm

I just realized there is also something that I need to post. I often (as well as others) refer to this fish as the pygmy angler. But this fish has no angler. So from this point forward I really need to not refer to these guys as pygmy anglers. I should always be sure to call them pygmy frogfish instead. Ah silly me. :oops:

Amy
Last edited by Amie on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Angel

Postby logo89 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 pm

This is very cool! A couple questions. Is there a definite way on how to sex them? And do you know how long it takes until they get to meta?
Logan
logo89

Postby Midnight Angel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks Logan :!: I love your name btw. 8) And you must have similar taste to mine in fish too because you were also on my eel thread. :wink: I was lucky enough to have gotten a pair (the ones that are spawning) from the diver who collected them. This is why you see me thanking Les (the diver) so much. My boyfriend Justin bought them for me from him. So I am just lucky to have gotten what was probably a mated pair already. As for the "pair " I formed......well they may not be a pair. I have no idea how to sex these guys. I know my spawning pair because I watched them spawn and the female is a little larger. So with the other pair I put one that was a little larger with another that was just a bit smaller. But I don't know if these guys can change sex or what. Something makes me think they don't but I don't know. I really should look on here (other threads) and see if there is any info about that. I do know that these guys (frogfish that is) often eat each other if they can. So some people have lost would be mates that way.

So I'm sorry I have no way to tell the sexes except for spawning females (they get huge so it is easy to see when they are full of eggs). And as for meta ..........well I have not got there yet. It will be awhile before that happens I think. I thought these guys would be like mandarins at first because it seemed much like Witt's pictures. But these guys are growing much slower. But maybe I'm doing something wrong........maybe not. It is still early and there is still lots to learn.

What I'm most interested in seeing is the change in the fins as they become their little feet. :) All the changes will be fun to see really. I see this project much like my eel projects. I just enjoy seeing things that most people never see. And no matter how far I get it is always cool to see this stuff. And if anything makes it through I plan on just giving them away to other breeders to try. I think Witt is the best choice for the first babies if any make it. He could do them justice by taking better pictures. And he also would probably do a better job at raising them up too. :wink:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby spawner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:07 am

Let me know next time you get a spawn and I'll ship you a load of pods you can drop in the larval tank with some algae and let them do the work for you.
spawner

Postby logo89 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 pm

I would say it appears we do have pretty similar taste :D Ok I was thinking you were for sure on the pair you made so I thought you had figured out a way to sex them. I need to stop assuming things :oops: Hopefully you got lucky and will soon have another spawning pair. And I will be very interested to see any pictures you get of them with their transformation! Good luck with these guys looking forward to seeing any updates as you get progress! :)
Logan
logo89

Postby LargeAngels » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Awesome Amy!! Yes, Les is a great guy and my tanks have quite a few fish from him.
LargeAngels

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Well Logan,

It looks like I now have two spawning pairs. :D But the nest was not fertile that the pink faced pair gave me. And it was much smaller than the yellow pair's nest. So I sure hope that the next one will be fertile. I hope it isn't two females. Also I can't seem to get past 20 days with the rots. So I'm trying pods with the yellow pairs eggs as soon as I can.

Thank you Stefan as always. And thank you Andy for your offer. :wink:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby logo89 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:01 pm

I was just thinking about your projects the other night and wondering if you had gotten any more progress. That is great news to hear that you might have another pair of them! I hope you have better luck with the pods I can't wait to hear the results.
Logan
logo89

Postby cyrus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Is anyone currently working with them? I got one in finally but it doesnt look like more will be available for some time.
cyrus

State/Region: texas

Return to Antennariidae - Frogfish