Sperm storage in anglerfishes

Sperm storage in anglerfishes

Postby aomont » Mon May 14, 2007 1:32 am

I have read a couple of times that female anglerfishes can store gamets and produce fertile eggs even without a male. :?
Have anyone read that ? Can you point me to a written reference or explain how can that be possible ?
Thanks everyone !
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby mpedersen » Mon May 14, 2007 2:37 am

Ya know, I remember Frank Marini of all people posting that info somewhere, but I thought all frogfish fertilized the eggs externally (aka. how the heck is the female going to store sperm)?

I don't know, I think this notion is a slipup, or maybe Frank was being sarcastic? :)

Just my $0.02, I have nothing scientific to back up what I've just posted!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby David M » Mon May 14, 2007 10:32 am

I have no clue but I do know I often hear of lone females in lfs producing eggs. No clue if they are viable though. One of these days I will be in the right place at the right time and collect some.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby David M » Mon May 14, 2007 10:34 am

As a follow up I was talking to Dave Palmer at PAF last week. He told me that when he was at C-Quest Bill A had no trouble spawning and rearing anglers (wasn't sure of the species) but that cannibalism was so high in GO that typically only one survied from each attempt.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby Luis A M » Mon May 14, 2007 2:55 pm

In my old report in the BR,I said that I kept the eggs of a lone spawner,just in case they were fertile(the fish was recently arrived).I´m sure Frank was confused with that.It is well known and documented that anglers are external fertilizers,like almost every other fish.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Tue May 15, 2007 2:04 am

Scott Michael even has a UW photo series where he shows that anglers are pelagic spawner's. I don't know if he published them on his website or in one of the books but he showed them in a slide show in Germany
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby FMarini » Wed May 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Hi-
Yes I made a Boo-Boo

Deep water anglers infact permanemntly attach a male just for that reason of having a male handy for external fertilzation.
My reason for that statement is that female anglers will continuely produce eggs in the absense of males, this is clear, but i recall one report a few years back that somehow the eggs produced from this one female angler (kept alone) were viable. So I assumed--apparently incorrectly so-- that these fish were internally fertilized.

Parthanogenesis anyone

I'll see if i can find that reference again.

I stand corrected
frank
FMarini

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Wed May 16, 2007 11:56 pm

FMarini wrote:Hi-
Yes I made a Boo-Boo

Deep water anglers infact permanemntly attach a male just for that reason of having a male handy for external fertilzation.

Parthanogenesis anyone

frank

Ya know, that's why we keep you 'round here..you've raised 2 very good points! Of course, I've never seen an anglerfish with its mate permenantly attached (how does that male FEED??) but, the later, Parthanogenesis, it occurs in Mollies, right? Not impossible in the least...especially considering we also have Hamlets which are simultaneous hermaphrodites and all sorts of other bizarre reproductive *options* being utilized by marine fish..

Hmm.

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby aomont » Thu May 17, 2007 12:04 am

Thank you all and Frank !!!
I searched around and got to the deep water anglers as well ! I was coming back here to write about it when I saw Franks last post.
Hi-
Yes I made a Boo-Boo

I do that every couple of hours :D
Thank you for sharing and I hope you stay around here the more you can !
Anderson.
Anderson

aomont

Re:

Postby aomont » Thu May 17, 2007 12:18 am

mpedersen wrote:Of course, I've never seen an anglerfish with its mate permenantly attached (how does that male FEED??)

I think it´s more of a parasitic relationship like he´s a blood-sucking parasite or something. Toooooooooo weird. ;)
The parthenogenic possibility is intersting as I don´t remember of known example but I´m sure it exists as there are some in FW and terrestrial vertebrates.
Anderson.
Anderson

aomont

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Thu May 17, 2007 2:01 pm

[quote="mpedersenOf course, I've never seen an anglerfish with its mate permenantly attached (how does that male FEED??) Matt[/quote]
He doesn´t.It becomes connected to the female´s bloodstream and all his organs and systems degenerate,except for the reproductive system.
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby urbanrat84 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:29 pm

Luis A M wrote:It becomes connected to the female´s bloodstream and all his organs and systems degenerate,except for the reproductive system.

Ha ha, I like it!!! :twisted:

Postby KathyL » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am

The sea is a very weird place...
KathyL

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:51 pm

Yep. My daughter's going to be bored once she gets to a human sexuality class.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Return to Antennariidae - Frogfish