Incubation of Marble-mouthed Frogfish

Incubation of Marble-mouthed Frogfish

Postby Bandeng » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:07 pm

A friend of mine told me that his frogfish spawned on February 14. He believe the pair is Marble-mouthed Frog fish, Lophiocharon lithinostomus. Here is the photo showing the male keeping eggs and the female. There seems to be around 200 eggs.

Bandeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Postby Bandeng » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:15 pm

On February 20, the male stop to care the egg. My friend brought the egg to me and asked to take care. I kept the egg in a 2L glass bottle with aeration.

The egg is about 4 mm in diameter and a fook at one side and a connecting tissue at other side. So they are banded together.

Bandeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Postby Bandeng » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:28 pm

The incubation at my house started when they were at Day 6 of incubation. There was a embryo in the egg sac already. Even a small mouth was seen. But the eyes of the embryo were not pigmented yet. On Day 9 the pigmentation on eyes was detected. The eggs started to look dark on Day 11. The embryo jerked intermittently at this time. They looked like juveniles already at Day 16. The egg membrane became very soft and was easily broken. The photo showing the embryo out of sac is one of this case. They started to hatch on Day 18. The last batch hatched on Day 20.

Bandeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:43 pm

Wow! Great photos! Good luck with them. Do you have enough room that you can separate them when they start getting cannibalistic?

What are you using for first food?

Thanks!
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Bandeng » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:36 pm

"Umm, fish?"

Thank you for your comment. I am not worried about their cannibalism. Beside I may give them out when I am satisfied that I grow them enough.

I am giving them enriched Artemia. The photo below is the one at day 6.

Bandeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Postby mpedersen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:00 pm

Another Fish Species with Direct Development?! Bandeng, it looks like some of the dates on the pictures above aren't accurate, i.e. the Day 16 on the right looks older (more developed) than what is shown as Day 18 below it?

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Bandeng » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Matt,

No, there is no mistake in dating. The one indicated as Day 16 was pictured 2 days before that of Day 18.

Beside this incubation in 2L bottle, I put some 30 eggs into a even smaller bottle of around 300 ml with a bit stronger aeration. I was able to get 21 juveniles of Day 20 from this trial.

Bandeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Bandeng wrote:Matt,

No, there is no mistake in dating. The one indicated as Day 16 was pictured 2 days before that of Day 18.

Beside this incubation in 2L bottle, I put some 30 eggs into a even smaller bottle of around 300 ml with a bit stronger aeration. I was able to get 21 juveniles of Day 20 from this trial.

Bandeng

I'm really confused. Above, you show one at "Day 6" which is clearly hatched out.

Yet in the composite image further up there is a picture of these fish still in developing as unhatched eggs at Day 16, another one fully developed and hatched and no sign of a yolk sack also labeled as Day 16, and then the bottom row both listed as Day 18 and both looking the say, i..e like newly hatched larvae still absorbing their yolk sacs.

Is it that one is showing 16 day old eggs, and the other one is showing a juvenile at 16 days post hatch?

Bandeng wrote:Matt,
I was able to get 21 juveniles of Day 20 from this trial.
Bandeng

So what happened at Day 20? Did they die? Or are they currently 20 days post hatch and doing well?

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby flyfisher » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:09 pm

What do you add to the water to prevent fungus/bacterial growth while the eggs are incubating? Tim
flyfisher

Postby Bandeng » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Matt,

Sorry for your confusion. The embryo dated Day 16 is the one came out of the egg membrane. The membrane become very soft and during the handling the embryo often come out accidentary. The one dated Day 18 is the one naturally hatched out. The last photo indicated Day 6 is the juvenile 6 days after hatch.

Tim,

I simple wash the eggs with sterlized seawater when they were given to me. I changed the water twice a day with sterlized seawater. The eggs were very durable which could torelate net washing.

Bandeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:31 am

Bandeng,

excellent information and pictures - thanks for the clarification as I was extremely puzzled too.

Please keep the pictures and all information coming - this is a new milestone and should be recorded as good as possible.

What are the water parameter?
Any issues with cannibalisms?
Did you try to feed them with fresh hatched clown fish?
Any other food then NHBS applied?
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby Bandeng » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Peter,

Thank you for your comment.

Water parames: I am not taking any water parameters. But the temperature should be around 27 degree Celsius and the salinity should be around 34 ppt.

Cannibalism: I have not experienced any cannibalism yet. They are 10 days old after hatch. I lost three fishes during the time.

Feeding: I have been feeding only enriched Artemia of 2-5 days old.

Bandeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Postby mpedersen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:07 am

Oh, so you still have them alive and they are 10 days post hatch now then?

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Bandeng » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Yes. Those that hatched after 18 days of incubation are now 11 days post hatch.

Bandeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:18 am

Bandeng wrote:Yes. Those that hatched after 18 days of incubation are now 11 days post hatch.

Bandeng

WOW, this is GREAT Bandeng! I now have to REVISE my MOFIB Fish Breeding Presentation - looks like we may have another new "easy to rear" fish?!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Re: Incubation of Marble-mouthed Frogfish

Postby Frogfish » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:36 am

So I know its 4 yrs later, but what ever happened here?
Im going into day 8 post hatch with about 200 of these little fry.
Frogfish

Return to Antennariidae - Frogfish