[i]Antennarius sp[/i] survival log!

[i]Antennarius sp[/i] survival log!

Postby DrHsu » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:57 pm

A friend of mine is an oddball enthusiast and always has a pair or two of frogfishes in his collection. Recently, his pair of frogfish (not identified to species but definitely Antennarius) started laying eggs. This is not the first time for him - he had a previous pair that spawned weekly for a month or so and then promptly died! - and also not the first time for this pair. This pair had a clutch about 3 weeks back and this is their second batch. This is his account as posted in our local forum:

The first clutch was laid three weeks ago, but was ignored cos I was preparing for house-moving. This second clutch, interestingly, was produced after a supposedly stressful period of temporary holding: 23 Feb - fish moved to temporary holding tanks (possibly about one-tenth the volume of their normal holding tank); 24 Feb - tanks shifted to new apt and partially changed water in holding tank; 25 Feb - tanks set up and fish placed in them after an interval of 6 hrs (the water in the holding tanks was fouling and there was no choice but to place the fish into the newly set up tanks with the old rocks and gravel. My feeling was that one more night in the holding tanks would have resulted in casualties); 26 Feb - egg mass seen at night; 27 to 28 Feb - egg mass did not disintegrate; 28 Feb night - egg mass placed in a small plastic tank with strong aeration; 29 Feb - egg mass disintegrating but the transparent eggs can be seen dispersed throughout the water with a little black dot at the side ( probably embryoes); 29 Feb night - eggs hatched and the tiny 1mm fry can be seen under strong light with wriggling tails and yolk sac

Thus, incubation was about 3 days....

I don't have pictures of the egg raft as we could not arrange to meet up before the eggs hatched, but it should be the same as the following picture, which is of an egg raft I picked up from a LFS pair that turned out to be infertile...

Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Day 1 pictures

Postby DrHsu » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:07 pm

The larvae are TINY! :shock: With the tail, maybe about 1 mm long. And there are thousands and thousands in one egg raft. This is a picture of what they look like amassed on the surface of the transport container - after at least half had already been transferred out!

Closer picture of the prolarvae; looking like they still have some cellular organization to do with the diffuse pigmentation around the ventral side

Close-up picture of the prolarvae accumulated at the tank meniscus - turned out to be pretty clear pics, probably because they were stuck right at the edge and not moving at all. The large yolk (or is that the oil globule?) is nicely outlined in this picture.

Close-up pictures of individual prolarvae

Li Chieh

DrHsu

Day 2 pictures

Postby DrHsu » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:11 pm

On the second day, they still look pretty much the same but maybe look like there is some reduction in the yolk, and that the eyes are starting to look a bit more defined? I don't believe there is much of a mouth at this stage.

Movement wise, they are pretty much floating along with the current (unless stuck at the meniscus) although some will occasionally give a wriggle or two....

Li Chieh

DrHsu

Postby Luis A M » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Wonderful pics,very interesting!I don´t remember having seen frogfish prolarvae depictewd before! 8).According to the size of the yolk sac,I expect further growth / development before they´re ready to feed.
Can you take accurate measures?And post a pic in the new born album? :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:51 am

Excellent LI!

Very very interesting.

Question: Should yolk sack have a color ? Transparent can IMHO not mean a yolk sack - or? I rather vote for the oil drop you mentioned
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby DrHsu » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:56 am

That's what I was thinking too....oil globule rather than yolk sac. But then where is the yolk? No doubt it needs to be present to fuel developement?

This morning they were more dispersed in the water column and individually making more swimming movements. Also passed a few hundred to a friend who has a kriesel running to see if it would work there. I'm at a point where I'm seriously considering culling a large portion of them so that it would be easier to handle - there's literally thousands of those small things!

Luis: can't take any measurements as yet - brought an old scope home but haven't cleaned it out, and need to find my hemocytometer...If it helps, all the above pictures are 100% crops from my camera images. I will have to see if there is a way to translate pixels to microns....
Li Chieh

DrHsu

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:44 am

DrHsu wrote:That's what I was thinking too....oil globule rather than yolk sac. But then where is the yolk? No doubt it needs to be present to fuel developement?....

It has to be the yolk sac.Perhaps they don´t have an oil globule,being the egg raft buoyant? :?

Luis: can't take any measurements as yet - brought an old scope home but haven't cleaned it out, and need to find my hemocytometer...If it helps, all the above pictures are 100% crops from my camera images. I will have to see if there is a way to translate pixels to microns....

Or picture something of known size,like a ruler under the exact same conditions,see the album thread.[/quote]
Luis
Luis A M

Postby FuEl » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:14 pm

One can only wait for more photos. :lol: Can't wait to see how they turn out after the prolarvae stage. :P
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Luis A M » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:55 pm

So what happened? :?
Luis
Luis A M

Day 8 pictures

Postby DrHsu » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Here are some pictures of the larvae at day 8. Not sure if they are even feeding as I cannot see anything! I'm sure there is mortality but there is still easily thousands floating around the tank. These guys seem to be more "flexible" than larvae like neons, which to me seem "stiff" in their movements....

Today I added rotifers. Up till now, there was just ciliates in the tank - you can see them in the pictures as the tiny dots all around.

Li Chieh

DrHsu

Postby mpedersen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:16 pm

Look at the difference here - http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2185

Totally something I wouldn't have suspected.

HMM.

VERY INTERESTING WORK - keep it up!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Re: Day 8 pictures

Postby Agathos » Sun May 16, 2010 5:01 pm

DrHsu wrote:Here are some pictures of the larvae at day 8.

What happened with your larvae? Did you manage to raise them?
Agathos

Re: [i]Antennarius sp[/i] survival log!

Postby DrHsu » Mon May 17, 2010 11:22 am

Nah...they all died. Didn't expect to really raise any, and I think the density of the larvae was to high as well....
Li Chieh

DrHsu

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon May 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Li Chieh,
I have a pair of frogfish here that Matt Wittenrich sent me over a year ago. They were spawning at his LFS but after I got them they stopped. They have never spawned for me. I have tried as many different foods as I can. I have played around with the lighting as well as the tank decor and yet they have not spawned. So if you have any suggestions it would help. I don't know if this is just a case of a pair being upset that they were moved or not. But to have a pair that were spawning and after a year still have not is very upsetting. :roll: So again if you have any ideas it would be great.

As a matter of fact if anybody has any ideas it would be great.

Thanks
Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby DrHsu » Mon May 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Amy,

I wouldn't really know much about the husbandry of these guys since I don't keep them........yet :-) but spawning or not may have to do with changes in the environment or food. The pair that spawned in my friend's place was after a move to temporary quarters as he was moving house - change in environment triggering spawning? as opposed to your experience?

Also maybe quality of food - read that the spawning rhinopias in cali restarted after better quality silversides became available again....
Li Chieh

DrHsu

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks so much. The food quality is high here so I think it is time for the pair to move. :wink: After all it can't really hurt.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Return to Antennariidae - Frogfish