breeding anglers at home

breeding anglers at home

Postby chasbeaux » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:41 pm

For anyone interested. I am in the process of setting up a home based breeding program for anglers/ frogfish. I will be snapping photos and posting as often as possible to chronicle my progress. My first step will be to set up an area for the production of phyto and zooplankton. I will be doing that this weekend.Next will be the customizing of a 150 gallon tank into a 4 section breeding tank.I hope to be back Monday with pics of the progress.
chasbeaux

Postby Mr. Ugly » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:03 am

Very cool :)

What species?

Lophiocharon and Histiophryne brood their eggs. People trying to breed those probably can skip the phyto and rotifers :)
Mr. Ugly

Postby mpedersen » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:58 am

MR UGLY, ya showed!!! Glad to see ya here!

Gotta tag onto this thread...:)

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

species

Postby chasbeaux » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:45 pm

I have 6 Antennarius Hispidus and 2 Multrocellatus. I have had the Hispidus for quite some time and only recently aquired the Multrocellatus.These are probably the most exciting and fasinating of any fish I have kept.This is the main reason for my desire to breed them at home. As mentioned in a previous post, I have at times seen the egg masses floating in my aquarium. Usually after they have been fed on by other fish and hermits! By moving them into a controlled environment I hope to have success in rearing them to adulthood. In addition to the Anglers, I also have Jawfish and Eels that I raise as a hobby.
chasbeaux

Postby David M » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:23 pm

I have it on good authority that Bill Addison had success breeding anglers but the problem was cannibalism in growout. I was told that pretty much every effort ended up producing one very fat fish :shock: You might consider some type of cubes or cups for GO.

What type of eels are you raising?
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Re: species

Postby mpedersen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:02 am

chasbeaux wrote:In addition to the Anglers, I also have Jawfish and Eels that I raise as a hobby.

Do tell more (of course, in the Jawfish and Eel forums :) )!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Mr. Ugly » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:21 am

Hi Matt! Thanks for the welcome. Gresham gave me the headsup about the website. Very cool! :)

Chasbeaux, yep anglers are awesome. What kind of setup are you running for them?

David, any pointers to Bill Addison's work with anglers?
Mr. Ugly

Postby David M » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:50 am

Sorry, I don't know a thing about it. It just came up in a conversation one day with Dave Palmer and the point was the trouble with grow out. I got a fish with eggball attached from lfs once but apparantly the eggs were not fertile. That's the sum total extent of my experience :roll:
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby Mr. Ugly » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:55 am

Ah, I see.

Yep, females will lay unfertilized egg masses on their own.

I emailed Uberfugu/Bryan about joing MOFIB. He had some success with Lophiocaron.
Mr. Ugly

unfertilized egg mass

Postby chasbeaux » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:06 pm

I got super busy over the weekend and couldn't do any of the things I had planned. I woke up Sunday and went in to feed my Hispidus and found another Egg mass partially sucked into a circulation pump.I was able to extract it from the pump and placed it in a hang on refugium under vho lighting. I am hopeing that at least some of the eggs will mature and hatch. I have no way at present of knowing if the eggs have been fertilized.I suppose that in the next 3 to 5 days I will be able to tell something just by visual observation. I hope to take some photos tomorrow.
chasbeaux

Postby clownking » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:11 pm

good luck!
clownking

Postby d9sccr » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:56 pm

Any updates?
d9sccr

Postby clownking » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:30 pm

so what now?
clownking

Return to Antennariidae - Frogfish