Question about Frogfishes spawnings

Postby baholy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:26 am

Hi,
I would like to ask you questions about your experience with frogfishes spawnings.
How many spawnings have you observed during a year?
And how many time between spawnings?
I breed frogfishes for some months and I have a trio of A. nummifer.
Last night, one of them was enormous and refused to eat anything for last two weeks.
This morning the presumed female had a normal shape, alone and in its favourite spot of the tank.
I didn't find eggs raft and I think that it's gone to principal tank to feed clownfish or others. (the tank is separated in two, a part for reef fishes and corals and a part for frogfishes)
I now regret to didn't have separated the pair in a small tank net ...
Best regards,
Kevin
baholy

State/Region: Val de Marne

Re: Question about Frogfishes spawnings

Postby Luis A M » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:34 am

Une autre ami de la France,ancore! :D
How could the egg raft pass to theother part of the tank?.It is large as the frogs.And I don´t think other fish could eat it either.
Few people have experience in breeding frogfish.Keeping them together without they attempting to eat the other,is hard enough.Tell us more about how you keep them. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby baholy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:52 am

Hi Luis,
nice to meet a new friend!
I did a little cleaning in frogfishes tank on saturday ... I honestly do not know how I did to miss the egg raft!
The egg raft is not pink but it's huge compared to the size of the female. It's really impressive!

I hope that pictures, despite their poor quality, will allow you to appreciate the volume and consider the number of eggs contained.

Sadly eggs seems to be unfertilized.
The egg mass was yesterday adorned with a white veil and begins to lose its spherical shape.
Visible eggs the first few days are no longer visible at all. It seems they have not been fertilized despite the presence of a male.

Two assumptions:
- The male is not yet an adult and could not fertilize the egg mass
- The male and female are misidentified and are not from the same species .

Besides, is it possible that different frogfishes species hybridized?
It is not at all my personal approach, but I'm asking the question.

Anyway, I began to doubt of the right identification of my specimens.
I confess I lose between A. nummifer , A. and A. dorehensis coccineus . You can see pictures of identical specimens classified into one or the other species ...
This could explain the total lack of the third frogfish for the female.

My specimens are far from 10cm that can be found in the literature in reference to A. nummifer .
They measures a little less than 5cm and do not seem to grow since their arrival unlike specimens of A. pictus on which I observed a rather rapid growth with the diet I provide.
I will classify the female easier as A. dorehensis according to its size , the shape of its lure , size and shape of the second doral spine.
For two others, I have to make new pictures to be able to compare more easily. In any case, the male you can see near the female resembles very exactly on the specimen visible frogfish.ch : http://www.frogfish.ch/image/frogfish-Anglerfisch/Antennarius-nummifer/guest/Juergen-Antennarius-nummifer.jpg identified as nummifer.
baholy

Postby Luis A M » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Good that you found that missing egg raft! 8)
Yes,inter-specific spawns have happened in aquaria.And lonely females can also spawn.
Species ID is very difficult with frogs.Colour and marks are usually unreliable and you must pay attention to fine details sach as the shape and movements of the esca.But you already know that since you have some experience with them! :wink:
Scott Michael,a frogfish fan,has written a chapter about them in one of his books.You should see it.
Have you kept them for a long time?.What is your feeding program?.And how you face the risk of one trying to eat the other?. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby baholy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 am

Hello and best wishes for 2014 !

My female A. coccineus , spawned again two nights ago.
I have set aside the egg raft to see what happens ... :D
Unfortunately, I still do not think I have a male from the same species, despite the acquisition of new specimens .

I now have a group of 4 A. nummifer which should give me a chance to have a female and the female that I identify as A. coccineus .

A spawning also occurred between 25 and 29th of December while I was absent. I found the egg mass in a colonnie of Neozoanthus caleyi , decaying .
As I was absent at the time of the spawning, I can't confirm that the egg was made by the female A. coccineus.

However, ten days between spawning seems a fairly short interval, despite what I 've already read, to be the work of a single individual ... wait and see !

Louis, I'm really interested in the chapter wrote by Scott Michael.
I keep the female A. coccineus for 1 year and since she arrived, she only eat live fish or shrimp ... She never accept frozen food, while all the others accept without difficulty.
The nummifer group is living with the female, but they ignore others most of the time and they are same size. I feed them on a regular base of 1 to 2 times a week with prey (half of their body).
baholy

Postby Luis A M » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:48 am

This is a very interesting project.Keep us posted!
Luis
Luis A M

Postby DavideAM » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:19 am

Good luck
DavideAM

State/Region: New York

Return to Antennariidae - Frogfish