Immaculate conception.

Immaculate conception.

Postby mrblue » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:53 am

I got quite a surprise today, a couple of rather large angler eggballs... They came from a friendly LFS and a huge black anglerfish I spent ages training to feed a few months ago. I will confirm an ID on the speces tomorrow, maybe a Phyllophryne scortea, or a Antennarius sp of some kind.

The egg balls had been sitting on the LFS tank overnight and while some eggs aren't looking the best many appear to be viable. So what do people think? That angler has been at the LFS for months now, it took me about a month just to get it eating frozen. I had read that they could store sperm and thought this must have been the case but after reading the sperm storage thread I'm not sure. Do any Antennarius sp have parasitic males?

Also any advice on trying to get a few eggs through? I have formalin bathed them and they are tumbling away happily. Is it best to remove the dead eggs, most dottyback hatches seem to be all or nothing? It would be great to have a hatch of anglers, well that is, until they start eating each other :roll: .

Ryan
mrblue

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:34 pm

Ryan,

FWIK Antenarius does not have have parasitic male. Scott Michael has some really awesome pictures of a spwaning couple in the wild. I am not sure if they can really store sperm.

Guess the food depends on the size of the frey, but i would give it a shot with a pod mixture.
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby mrblue » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:30 am

Thanks for the info Peter.

I'm fairly certain the species is Antennarius commerson. I'm not sure if it confirms viability or anything, but I was comparing a picture of a Antennarius sp with an eggball out of Burgess' Atlas with the egg balls I have and they look identical in colour etc. So far it's hard to tell if the eggs are developing or not but many of them appear to be alive at least. Anyone have an idea how long incubation is? The eggs are massive, not sure if that contributes to length of incubation.

Ryan.
mrblue

Postby Luis A M » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:57 pm

No,Ryan,no sperm storage,that was an error.
Lone females spawning infertile rafts is not uncommon.They break away soon.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby mrblue » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:07 pm

Oh :( , that's a pity. I wonder if the pic in Burgess' is of a similar event.
mrblue

Return to Antennariidae - Frogfish