Horizontal Kriesel

Horizontal Kriesel

Postby Steve Warren » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Has any one tried a horizontal kriesel. I am thinking along the lines of a goldfish bowl with a circular mesh insert, this would also create the circular sedimentation effect that gathers solid waste products towards the centre, but also gather food sources towards the centre along with larvae. Obviously this would create a problem when water changes are done along with removing faeces and dead larvae but if the circulation is switched off before water changes it should be possible to remove the faeces and do water changes with a solid airline without removing live larvae/fry. I think if the bowl is driiled with numerous fine holes it would be able to fit insde a largerv tank to maintain water quality as well as reduce paramete changes in the water quality.
Steve Warren

Re: Horizontal Kriesel

Postby Spracklcat » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Yup, horizontal kreisels are used commonly in aquaculture facilities and research labs.
Spracklcat

Postby D3monic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:53 am

Instead of drilling holes I just cut a good size one in the side of the bowl and covered it with 100micron mesh. Looking back I should of used something 50 micron or smaller because it is extremly difficult to maintain proper rotifer concentrations.
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby PaulG » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:09 am

Isn't this the same concept as a BRT?
PaulG

Postby Steve Warren » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks everyone, I am thinking along the lines of 3Dmonic's version installed in side a small tank or with a circular mesh inside the bowl as well. Will it need to be dark for peppermint shrimps (and possibly clowns) or would it be necessary to paint the tank the bowl is put into?
Steve Warren

Postby D3monic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:24 am

I just painted one of my bowls black on all but one side. I am really happy with it just for the fact I can see my fry alot easyer.
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby r33fking » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:59 pm

i threw together an air driven contraption that gives me a slow horizontal circulating current in my brts.
its essentially a small clear plastic track similar to a bubble counter thats mounted to suction cups . i glued an airline nipple in one end so when mounted at slight angle the bubbles travel somewhat horizontally for 6 or 8 inches creating the current to swirl.
works great with my L.boggessi
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Postby Ravens02 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

i came across your post, which i found very interesting because I am trying to rear Lysmata debelius and amboinensis. Would you be able to post some pictures up?
Ravens02

State/Region: Florida

Return to Equipment