how to sterilise salt water?

how to sterilise salt water?

Postby natureAddict » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:42 am

i have done a micro wave trial run n the cultures seems ok after 7days.

can i boil the salt water? for a bigger quantity cus my microwave is not big enough.

Thanks for your response.
natureAddict

Re: how to sterilise salt water?

Postby captain » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:59 am

I use chlorine for at least 12hrs then declorinate before using. Cheap an easy. I use approx 5ml/50lt.
cheers
captain

Postby Scottt » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:52 am

chlorinating/dechlorinating is the most common method. Heat sterilization (bloiling) should work too. What are you culturing?
Scottt

Postby natureAddict » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 am

thanks captain n scott, i culture nan n tet. recently my nan (new disk) started to fail, so i m trouble-shooting the water sterilising process.

I think i will try out this chlorine 2ml to 2 litre coke bott . i guess the recycle soda bott get sterilised at the same time? is the amount of chlorine ie 2ml, strong enough to sterilise any rotifer cyst or previous contamination?
natureAddict

Postby Suzy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:30 am

I use chlorine too but i just bubble it out over night. I don't use declorinator. I use a new plastic bottle for each new start.

But, I am a diet pepsi addict so I have plenty of bottles.
Last edited by Amie on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed spelling
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby spawner » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:54 pm

If you can heat your water and container your far better off than using chlorine bleach. You can boil seawater.
spawner

Postby logo89 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 pm

spawner wrote:If you can heat your water and container your far better off than using chlorine bleach. You can boil seawater.

Can you explain why that is so?
Logan
logo89

Postby spawner » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Sure, heat kills everything, chlorine doesn't. In addition you have to dechlorinate adding another set and place to error. If your working with small volumes you should always heat your media.
spawner

Postby tank1980 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 am

What would be a good pot to use for larger amounts of water? I was thinking of buying a glass pot like the visions ones, but was wondering if there is a meatl type that will be safe or will end up leaching anything into the water.

Thanks
Without struggle there is no progress....... (Frederick Douglas)
tank1980

State/Region: Virginia

Postby natureAddict » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:07 am

thanks spawner for your pointers.

My nan was doing good for the past 6 months n i didnt have to sterilise. but this time it would clear up after 7 to 10days.
i guess i have been lucky for that 6 months.

just 1 more question - is there a timing for boiling, like 3 or 5 mins?
natureAddict

Postby sunny d polyp » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 pm

[quote="spawner"]Sure, heat kills everything, chlorine doesn't.

Hi Spawner, I'm only culturing 8/gals of phyto but boiling would be a bit much so I only chlorinate with .4ml per gal and dechlor with .6ml thio and have had a lot of success even tho most people use more chlorine but I haven't found it necessary, from what I've been told unless you boil above 220F with a pressure cooker boiling will not kill all bacteria either but when I only use chlorine what will still survive in the culture water?
"If you opened my head there would be a plethora of copes swimming in a sea of phyto"
sunny d polyp

Postby robvdv » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:06 pm

just 1 more question - is there a timing for boiling, like 3 or 5 mins?

I do 7 minutes per litre in my microwave. It doesn't boil (not necessary) and it seems to get very hot. Hot enough to kill pretty much anything, IMO. I usually microwave it in a glass jug with a dinner plate on top. The dinner plate reduces contaminants falling in the water as it cools.

With regards chlorinating/dechlorinating, I found it frustrating while researching this to find "the truth", but this is what I use now:
30 minute sterilize: 1.6ml 5.5% household bleach per litre
6 or more hour sterilize: 0.5ml 5.5% household bleach per litre

To dechlorinate, I use a solution of 55g/litre sodium thiosulphate. 1ml thio dechlorinates 1ml bleach at these concentrations.

When I want something really sterile, I microwave container and liquid together, as Andy says. Otherwise I use chlorine. I shake the vessel a few times during the chlorination process to spread out the chlorinated fluid across all surfaces.

I have a question for the gurus. What sterilizes the thio solution? I guess it's self-sterilizing, but I haven't seen anyone explicitly say this anywhere. I think I've seen references to thio being used as a sterilizer in its own capacity, but maybe someone can confirm?
robvdv

Postby spawner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 pm

The Thio needs to be heated or best autoclaved and kept in sterile conditions as should growth media (sterile conditions, not autoclaved of course).
spawner

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm not saying that heating is wrong, but you guys should really listen to Suzy. She's been in the hobby for over 30 years and I've seen her phyto cultures...they are awesome. She's figured out how to make it simple. She puts the chlorine in and doesn't dechlorinate at all....works everytime. She really is a master at it.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby robvdv » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm

spawner wrote:The Thio needs to be heated or best autoclaved and kept in sterile conditions as should growth media (sterile conditions, not autoclaved of course).

Thanks, Andy.

On the instructions from FAF, I seem to remember them saying you can microwave sterilize the Guillard's. Some chemicals are heat sensitive. Are there no chemicals in the formula (vitamins, specifically) affected by heating? What about repeated heating?
robvdv

Postby spawner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:29 pm

I add my f/2 just before we autoclave or just after we pasteurize our water. Don't heat the f/2 and then store it. Thio mixture should be made with boiling water or autoclaved. Make often in small batches... Don't let it sit around for months and months.
spawner

Postby natureAddict » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:12 am

thanks Suzy n Amie, nice to hear from the ladys 8)

If i was to add 1.5ml chlorine to my 1.5litre bott of salt water (in singapore coke comes in 1.5l ), how much anti-chlorine crystal do i put in? should i go by smell ie, so long as i dont smell chlorine, it should be ok?
any safety precaution , just in case i bleach out the nan inoculate?
natureAddict

Postby robvdv » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks again, spawner.

natureAddict, assuming your bleach is a 5% solution of sodium hypochlorite, you'll need 0.075 grams of sodium thiosulphate crystal. The easiest way to do this is to make up a solution with 1L water containing 50 grams sodium thiosulphate. Then all you need to do is add an equal amount of thio solution to the amount of bleach you added. In the example above, you'd add 1.5ml of thio solution.
robvdv

Postby natureAddict » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 pm

robvdv wrote:Thanks again, spawner.

natureAddict, assuming your bleach is a 5% solution of sodium hypochlorite, you'll need 0.075 grams of sodium thiosulphate crystal. The easiest way to do this is to make up a solution with 1L water containing 50 grams sodium thiosulphate. Then all you need to do is add an equal amount of thio solution to the amount of bleach you added. In the example above, you'd add 1.5ml of thio solution.

thanks bro
natureAddict

Postby sunny d polyp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Does anyone have the answer about spawner saying that chlorine doesn't kill everything, what would survive?
"If you opened my head there would be a plethora of copes swimming in a sea of phyto"
sunny d polyp

Postby robvdv » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Chlorine kills everything, given a high enough concentration and enough time. I presume what spawner meant is that the chlorine does get everywhere (nooks and crannies in the bottle etc.) so some organisms of any variety small enough to hide could survive.

EDIT: sorry, chlorine does NOT get everywhere
Last edited by robvdv on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
robvdv

Postby spawner » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:56 am

robvdv wrote:Chlorine kills everything, given a high enough concentration and enough time. I presume what spawner meant is that the chlorine does get everywhere (nooks and crannies in the bottle etc.) so some organisms of any variety small enough to hide could survive.

yes, exactly, well said. Sorry for my incomplete answer.
spawner

Postby sunny d polyp » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks all.

I'm building a phyto culture station L 52 inches W 16 inches H 48 inches and will be using (12) 3ml/ 7.5L,17L and 34L depending on sales of phyto and or roti's , 8 will be nano 2 tet and 2 T.iso, the bags are not terribly expensive (buy from FAF) and I will split every 7 days, I would like to reuse the bags to save money, any bag I reuse will have the same species of algae each time I redo the culture and I will clean the bag with sodium hypo, what success will I have using this method or would I be better off to just use a new bag each time?

I cannot wait to get into breeding reef safe fish, I just need to be patient and research more, Anthia's are my number one dream and would never think of attempting this endeavor with out the support from this forum, I lived in Miami all my life and tried invert tanks from the age of 10 years (I'm 56), my friends and I never had much success back then but having the information we now have for this hobby today the future has hope. I've been diving since 14 years of age and have seen a decline in reefs world wide, were having such a huge success with inverts, coral, and fish, trading frags breeding fish that were impossible 10 years ago and with more research it will only get better, I look forward to being a supporting member of this forum as long as you will let me lurk and learn.

Thanks in advance.
sunny d polyp

Postby spawner » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Sunny,

How close to a bridge over a inlet or seawater water way are you?

Andy
spawner

Postby sunny d polyp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:36 am

Spawner I live in North Central Fl. now so I'm not very close 1 1/2 hours either way and the water this close in is not pristine at all, I do fish occasionally and will be purchasing a boat in the next couple of months, when I fish we normally go out 5 or so miles in the Gulf of Mex and I bring 5/gal containers (4) and fill with NS for my invert tank.

The "Blue Tooth Walrus" that Johnrt designed will help me re-use culture water because I do live in a sub-division and have a septic tank so I will be unable to continually dump the used water.

I've been on Craigs list and E-Bay looking for a centrifuge but one of any significant size is too pricey, I would like to make phyto paste since it would take up less room.
sunny d polyp

Next

Return to Phytoplankton