Isocrysis Strains, Which One and Why?

Isocrysis Strains, Which One and Why?

Postby Spikefin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:59 pm

Is the Tahitian strain the one to go for over all others. What is the significance? If I plan to culture one algae only for multiple calanoids is T. Iso the best option? Carolina labs has Iso but I'm not sure it's Tahitian. Should I avoid their culture and go with algagen so I know I have the right stuff?
Spikefin

State/Region: Indiana

Re: Isocrysis Strains, Which One and Why?

Postby Spikefin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:31 pm

No one knows anything on this???
Spikefin

Postby Luis A M » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:18 pm

T-ISO,the tahitian strain is considered by most people your best bet for a single species choice,as far as the lipidic profile is concerned.So I advise you must be positive to get the real one.Occasionally one sees other ISO being used with success,but why risking your project?. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Spikefin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Luis A M wrote:T-ISO,the tahitian strain is considered by most people your best bet for a single species choice,as far as the lipidic profile is concerned.So I advise you must be positive to get the real one.Occasionally one sees other ISO being used with success,but why risking your project?. :wink:

Thanks for info, very helpful. I plan to order from FAF, their F/2 also. They sell a 25ml liquid starter culture. I've read that it is a good place to source stuff. Usually I see people buying disc and not being able to grow from them though. I'm not sure why you would go with a disc when liquid samples are available.

They said t iso was their starter culture for what they produce. I do wonder if the check under scope to make sure it hasn't been contaminated. I was going to go with algagen/seahorsesource but FAF is much cheaper(not a good reason usually). Would you trust FAF as much as Algagen? I know algagen is usually the standard.
Spikefin

Postby clayton447 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:20 pm

I recommend you buy Algagen's Isochrysis starter culture from Seahorse Source; Erik's cultures are very reliable and clean, IMO.

Chad
clayton447

Postby Luis A M » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:41 pm

If you are going to keep sterile starter cultures,then you should invest in the best culture available,even if expensive.Otherwise any good culture will be Ok.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Spikefin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 am

Unfortunately I ended up ordering from FAF. :( I hope that wasn't a mistake. I am going to do my best to keep everything as sterile as I can. I plan to use the microwave method plus a cotton air filter. I'll call FAF in the morning to see the status on my order. I haven't gotten anything other than an order confirmation so maybe I can still cancel.
Spikefin

Postby Spikefin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:09 pm

I was able to cancel my order from FAF. They hadn't prepared it yet. Hopefully there aren't any mix ups. They were going to ship Monday and seahorsesource ships Tuesday so there is only a one day delay. Although seahorse would have had it to me by now if I had originally gone with them. They were about $25 more but now I know I am getting quality stuff. Nothing against FAF, they were very nice to work with. Thanks again for the help. This forum has tons of invaluable information. When I get everything going I will post my result on another thread. Trying to rear Flaming Prawn Gobies BTW. 8)

Edit: One more thing. How do I know how long to microwave the ASW? It's going to be 32oz. Also, it's best to not microwave the fertilizer correct? Thanks again guys! :)
Spikefin

Postby Luis A M » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:58 pm

I microwave the fertilized starter cultures of 60ml.I chlorinate larger volumes
Meaning the medium,of course :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Spikefin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Luis A M wrote:I microwave the fertilized starter cultures of 60ml.I chlorinate larger volumes
Meaning the medium,of course :wink:

So you fertilize the asw and then microwave that on your smaller cultures? That was my original plan but I heard that can mess with the B vitamins. I don't really like the idea of using chlorine and a dechlorinator. Seems so much easier just to pop it in the microwave. I mean I don't think I'm going to need more than three 32oz cultures going at one time. When I was culturing nanno I always had way more than I would ever need.

On another note, I read your page on calanoids and tons of stuff on larvae rearing, which got me to this point in the first place, and I wanted to ask you a few questions. I got the impression on your thread that it is difficult to produce enough nauplii to feed larvae on them alone. I have heard elsewhere that this is not the case. Did you mean on a large scale? Like I said before I want to try to grow some FPG larvae. I can get my pair to produce larvae readily. My plans are to try to raise them on calanoids first(no rotifers) and after meta frozen cyclops and tisbe. After I have sufficient phyto I will start 3X1.5 liter cultures each of parvo, pseudo, and a tonsa. I hope to try my hand a egg collecting as well.

So, thats 3 32oz containers of iso going with 4.5 liters of parvo, 4.5 liters of pseudo, and 4.5 liters a. tonsa to raise anywhere from 30 to 100 FPG larvae in a two gallon container. The container will be supplemented with phyto and adults too in order to culture calanoids in the larvae tank along side the fish.

Do you think this setup has a chance of working? You can see some more info on this thread. I do plan to post a thread hear too in the near future. Keep in mind these fish are tiny.
Spikefin

Postby Luis A M » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Yes,I allways microwave the culture medium and never had an issue.But there is a specific sterilizing protocol,not just having it boil.It is 3´on,5´off;again 3´on,5´off and finally 4´on.
And for Cl,2ml of bleach/8L,leave overnight and neutralize with 2ml of Thio solution.
Copepod culture has gone a long way and techniques changed over the years.But there are still two basic aproaches;either to harvest the naups you need every day or co-culture them in the larval tank.
You need 33 ml of a good algal culture /L/day.See the "copepod machine".
Possibly you gobies will need small naups,like Gobiodon :?
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Phytoplankton