Sure fire way of sterilising culture vessel

Sure fire way of sterilising culture vessel

Postby Zante » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:52 am

I have separate cultures of 7 different species of phyto, and a kreisel reactor for re-culture.

What I do I use the kreisel reactor for, is to reculture the phyto mix once to increase the quantity to the amount I regularly use. I cannot make larger cultures of the single species for various reasons, so that isn't an option for the moment, so re-culturing the mix is my only option for the moment.

That said, the kreisel reactor has been contaminated by rotifers, so obviously I cannot use it to culture phyto. I tried a good wash in hot tap water confiding in the osmotic shock, temperature shock and what little chlorine is in the water, but it hasn't been enough.
What is a definitive way of sterilising the reactor?

I'd rather avoid bleach, but if I have to I will use it, I'm just uncomfortable using it in large quantities in the culture vessels.
Zante

State/Region: London

Re: Sure fire way of sterilising culture vessel

Postby Luis A M » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:58 pm

You must fill it with tap water and dose household bleach at 1ml/gal (or more).Let it stand overnight and then neutralize with Sodium thiosulphate,or simply drain and let it dry.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby ichthyogeek » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Hydrogen Peroxide might work if you don't want to use bleach, you can buy sodium percarbonate to make your own, and hope that the oxygen radicals and high pH shock kill them (the other byproduct of sodium percarbonate decomposition is NaOh, sodium hydroxide).
ichthyogeek

State/Region: Arkansas

Postby Zante » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:42 am

Ok, I was hoping to avoid bleach, for no other reason that it makes me nervous, but I guess it is the best way.
Zante

Postby Luis A M » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Relax,it is safe 8) After it is neutralized or dried,it vanishes.No residual effects.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Zante » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:53 pm

All good. The bleach wiped out everything. I've already had one batch of phyto from those vessels and a second batch is brewing.

Thank you.
Zante

Return to Phytoplankton