The Compact Culture System for Rotifers by AP Breed

The Compact Culture System for Rotifers by AP Breed

Postby ClownfishHatchery » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:13 pm

I found this article on Reef Builders. Looks like a cool easy system to grow rotifers. What do you all think?

20121020-160554.jpg

20121020-161321.jpg

20121020-161354.jpg

Anyone know what the purpose is for the blue mesh?

Here is a link to the artice on Reef Builders
http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/20/compact-culture-system-from-ap-breed-makes-raising-rotifera-dead-simple/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ClownfishHatchery

Re: The Compact Culture System for Rotifers by AP Breed

Postby rayjay » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Too complicated for me. I just use 5g containers and an open ended air line.
rayjay

State/Region: Ontario

Postby Luis A M » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Me 2 ! :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby joebean » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:39 pm

my guess is its a mesh filter powered by the bubbles going bottom to top
sounds cool if its really cheap it might be worth it if not diy
joebean

Postby spawner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 am

Blue mesh holds the filter floss. I'd buy it they put a lot of work into this support that effort. You want cool new technology just spend a few bucks to help those that are developing it.
spawner

Postby blakedeffenbaugh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:20 am

I'd like to buy one now if they were selling them already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
blakedeffenbaugh

Postby rayjay » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Why buy when just a bucket and airline work fine and don't cost anything.
rayjay

Postby Greshamh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 pm

rayjay wrote:Too complicated for me. I just use 5g containers and an open ended air line.

Curios as to what densities you run at? The CCS typically runs around 500 - 750/ml, but with a doser for RGcomplete, 1K/ml. Doing even 300/ml in just a raw system as you are talking about is very uncommon among hobbyists and casual cultures from what I have seen.

But not everyone needs such production and that is understandable, and in such a case, the CCS is not for you.

We'll offer DIY plans, but some of this stuff will end up costing you a lot more as it is not sold in small sizes. The blue mesh is sold per 500 foot roll. The standpipe is sold by the yard. The clips used to hold the standpipe to the PVC nipple aren't cheap when purchased singly, and shipping is a killer on that. If you could find the mesh by the foot, you could make it cheaper then we plan on selling just the kit for.

The Zebrafish researchers are the ones that really have benefited the most from this. 90% of the prototypes went to them.
Greshamh

Postby Greshamh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:21 pm

spawner wrote:Blue mesh holds the filter floss. I'd buy it they put a lot of work into this support that effort. You want cool new technology just spend a few bucks to help those that are developing it.

Thanks Andy. I spent over a year on the mold alone, well, while doing a ton of other tasks as well :D Sourcing all the parts wasn't a fun task either.

blakedeffenbaugh wrote:I'd like to buy one now if they were selling them already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

They should be out in 3 weeks or less. Final pricing is being worked on now, as are the instructions.
Greshamh

Postby joebean » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm drinking the coolaid, i want it. Where do i throw my money ?
joebean

Postby rayjay » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Greshamh wrote:Curios as to what densities you run at? The CCS typically runs around 500 - 750/ml, but with a doser for RGcomplete, 1K/ml. Doing even 300/ml in just a raw system as you are talking about is very uncommon among hobbyists and casual cultures from what I have seen.
But not everyone needs such production and that is understandable, and in such a case, the CCS is not for you.

I don't measure densities as I sell them by the teaspoonful drained.
I don't feed phyto either so I'm a long way from conventional culturing of rots.
I also don't harvest daily all the time, but only when I have newborn pelagic seahorse fry. Other than that, they only get harvested about every 7 to 10 days. I got about 5 drained teaspoons full out of each 160g I.O. salt bucket with enough remaining to fully replenish the container in that 7 to 10 day period. I'm now using 5g water bottles, inverted, with the bottom cut out as I no longer use them for the brine shrimp since I went to 26g containers.
When I was using phyto for feeding, I was only yielding about one teaspoon out of a pail, but the blended spirulina powder has increased that 5 fold.
I also add some algamac 3050 to the mix.
The downside of the blended powders is that I have to clean out the container every major harvest, but it's worth it for the yields.
rayjay

Postby rayjay » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:07 am

I have to amend my last statement.
I was just downstairs and with the rots, I noticed the spoon I use to measure the rots after meshing them is only a half teaspoon, so a mature culture is only 2 1/2 teaspoons, not 5.
Culture is not as dense as I thought.
I think I was confusing the rot spoon with the artemia spoon as I sell the adult brine shrimp by the teaspoon.
rayjay

Postby spawner » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:33 pm

That is a small amount of rotifers per container.
spawner

Postby rayjay » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 pm

It is plenty enough for me raising seahorse fry though, with even more left over for selling.
Tomorrow when 2 people will be picking up their orders, I will pour the whole container through the 250 mesh bag and measure out the total number of half teaspoons, just out of curiosity now.
I've always just guessed that there was about a third still remaining when I harvest.
rayjay

Postby rayjay » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:35 pm

After draining, I got 8 level half teaspoons of rots plus some more smeared around the mesh that I didn't bother trying to scrape up but it wouldn't end up being more than half of that spoon.
So, when I harvest 5 portions I still have 3 left to start the new culture.
rayjay

Postby Greshamh » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 pm

rayjay wrote:
Greshamh wrote:Curios as to what densities you run at? The CCS typically runs around 500 - 750/ml, but with a doser for RGcomplete, 1K/ml. Doing even 300/ml in just a raw system as you are talking about is very uncommon among hobbyists and casual cultures from what I have seen.

I don't measure densities as I sell them by the teaspoonful drained.
I don't feed phyto either so I'm a long way from conventional culturing of rots.
I also don't harvest daily all the time, but only when I have newborn pelagic seahorse fry. Other than that, they only get harvested about every 7 to 10 days. I got about 5 drained teaspoons full out of each 160g I.O. salt bucket with enough remaining to fully replenish the container in that 7 to 10 day period. I'm now using 5g water bottles, inverted, with the bottom cut out as I no longer use them for the brine shrimp since I went to 26g containers.
When I was using phyto for feeding, I was only yielding about one teaspoon out of a pail, but the blended spirulina powder has increased that 5 fold.
I also add some algamac 3050 to the mix.
The downside of the blended powders is that I have to clean out the container every major harvest, but it's worth it for the yields.

Spirulina is a phytoplankton.
Greshamh

Postby rayjay » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Yes, but I use dead powder to mix my blend that I add.
Before, I was using live all the time and other than nanno, I was having trouble keeping them alive.
Now while I have to clean the container a bit more often, I no longer have to grow live phyto to feed the rots and brine.
Spirulina powder is VERY economical at $10 a pound.
rayjay

Return to Phytoplankton