Calanoid Copepod Starter Cultures

Calanoid Copepod Starter Cultures

Postby spawner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:42 am

Everyone, I have some very exciting news. For years hobbyists have had little choice of live feeds for their fish larvae. Being stuck with rotifers and Artemia does not allow for the development of rearing technologies beyond clownfish/dottybacks/gobies/etc. I'm sure many of you have seen posts here on MOFIB that have highlighted the dichotomy of the rotifer/Artemia diets and the natural larval diets of copepods. I can think of no better examples than Witt's posts on Mandarins, Sergeant Major or mine on the larval rearing of the Queen Triggerfish. This sort of success is only possible when using proper larval feeds (Copepods). Species that once were "impossible" can be easily reared on calanoid copepods. The problem of late has been getting calanoid copepods out into the market. I have attached an exciting press release and flyers from AlgaGen LLC announcing the availability of starter cultures of several species of calanoid copepods. As a disclaimer I have to admit some bias against our lesser larval feeds rotifer/Artemia as I have been working to get calanoid copepods to this point for almost 9 years. I was thrilled to read the announcement and in the coming few days/weeks I will begin posting the simple methods we use to rear a few of those species here at Roger Williams University. I hope that some of our users will benefit from this new source of cultures and post their experiences.

If you are looking for cultures there are several vendors that will carry them. I'll keep this listed (in alphabetical order) updated:

United States:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalo ... ?q=copepod
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/pro ... catid=3058
http://www.marineDepot.com
http://www.saltwaterfish.com
http://www.seahorsesource.com

EU:

http://www.nanoriffundmeer.de/index.html

If you are interested in taking your breeding efforts to the next level you’ll need to start culturing live microalgae. I’d suggest you obtain cultures of T-Iso as a good universal feed for copepods and brown water for your larval tank. If you read my Mandarin Larval Culture Made Easy thread you will see that your efforts on the front end, live feed cultures, will pay off in your larval rearing tanks.
Last edited by Amie on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: fixed formatting issues; added links; removed invalid links to press releases
spawner

Re: Calanoid Copepod Starter Cultures

Postby jolson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 pm

thanks for the sources for these sometime difficult to obtain and often expensive cocepods, I hope that they will be priced so the hobbiest can afford to buy and maintain a valuable and neccessary addition to the marine breeding world. I also will be eagerly awaiting your " simple methods " for maintaining them in cultures
jolson

Postby logo89 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:40 pm

I was very excited to see this yesterday. And I am also looking forward for your methods on maintaining them.
And they are priced very reasonably I think. The price range is $14 - $24 for an 8 oz bottle of them.
Logan
logo89

Postby Suzy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Great. We can get the cultures. I really hope we can get these companies to tell us how they culture them.

Why is isochyrisis the algae everyone uses! I can do every other alga except that one!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby spawner » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 pm

T-iso is just a good universal algae that most people can easily grow, has good DHA levels and is motile so it works well in a larval tank. not the best for copepods. In fact Pseudodiaptomus, the easiest calanoid I have ever grown, does best on diatoms like TW. But TW doesn't have good levels of DHA and is not motile so I wouldn't suggest it for a complete food for the pods and not for the larval tank.

I'm surprised your having issues with T-iso suzy. Your RHO looks pretty good and is difficult to grow.
spawner

Postby No1Duck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Do you have a UK distributor yet, or is it only the US market at the moment?
Dale.
No1Duck

Postby Suzy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:19 pm

I can only do rhodomonas in the winter months when my basement is chilly. But, tetraselmis grows like a weed year round...

Are these sweet little creatures available now?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby logo89 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:46 am

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com has them listed now but I don't know if anyone else does yet.
Logan
logo89

Postby spawner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:39 am

Suzy where are you getting your T-iso cultures from? There is no reason you should have problems that species of algae unless your getting bad starters.
spawner

Postby Suzy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:37 am

I got the last one from Algagen a few years ago. It did great until the temp went up in the basement, but maybe that was a coincidence and was a contaminant? I think I have gotten better with isolation so maybe I should try it again. Do you think temperature has any untoward effects?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Suzy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 am

Oops! I was thinking Rhodomonas.

I got my Iso from a friend. So, maybe I should get another and try it one more time? Why do you like it better than Tetraslemis?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby angi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:53 pm

www.nanoriffundmeer.de from germany has the complete AlgaGen line.
yrs, angi
angi

Postby spawner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Angi,

Can you confirm with them that they offer calanoid copepods over there. I'm not sure if the would have the shelf life required for transfers. A. tonsa eggs might last that long but I'm not sure about the others. It would be really nice to see the EU and Auzzie breeders get access to calanoid copepod cultures starters from someone in country or importers.
spawner

Postby johnrt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Suzy wrote:I can only do rhodomonas in the winter months when my basement is chilly. But, tetraselmis grows like a weed year round...

Are these sweet little creatures available now?

Could you expand on your Rhodomonas setup? Basement temperature, type and number of lights, culture size and whatever I have forgotten to ask.

I just manage to keep Rhodomonas growing as a thin light pink liquid, with some slightly darker filmy sheets that accumulate on the sides of a 5 gallon carboy and occasionally float around the water. My cultures are also in the basement and I do a 25% daily harvest and replace with f/2. I have tried larger and smaller harvests, but it will not darken up. Drat.

Any ideas?

John T
johnrt

Postby angi » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:47 pm

spawner wrote:Angi,

Can you confirm with them that they offer calanoid copepods over there. I'm not sure if the would have the shelf life required for transfers. A. tonsa eggs might last that long but I'm not sure about the others. It would be really nice to see the EU and Auzzie breeders get access to calanoid copepod cultures starters from someone in country or importers.

Tisbe and Tangerine is no problem at all. I had from AlgaGen Euterpina, Acartia, Parvocalanus in the past, too. All arrived live. I had sent live Acartia in the past to others in germany or austria at the same day as the import arrived. No problem. But Parvocalanus and Euterpina are more sensible and need continous feed and good water parameters. Also moina is a risk. These need food before sending further. Maybe I could open the bottle und feed them. I will ask Erik, if this could run. But your doubts are justifiable, it is a race with the time.
yrs, angi
angi

Postby spawner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Angi,

That is wonderful news. Can you provide me with a link to where these are at. I'd like to update my first post with the EU sites.
spawner

Postby lvanghele » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Im culturing them right now. Expect to see them for a good price from me in a week or so!
lvanghele

Postby angi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 am

Spawner,

After previous knowledge all types survive a 2-day dispatch. The import to Germany lasts for 2 to 1/2 days with an international express item if there are no delays in the custom.

Give me a little time to find a solution. I have livingly brought Moina to the USA.
I also will manage to take all kind of Reefpods to my breeder colleagues in Europe there.
yrs, angi
angi

Postby angi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Short interim report:
Erik of AlgaGen has agreed to a test run. An import is soon carried out to Europe. We test, whether this works with it between feeding in the bottle. I report again in 2 or 3 weeks.
yrs, angi
angi

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:23 am

I just want to say Thank You, Angi, for all your work and diligence in making this happen. What you are doing is very helpful for those of us on both sides of the Atlantic. Thank You!
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby Amie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:15 am

[quote="angi"Tisbe and Tangerine is no problem at all. I had from AlgaGen Euterpina, Acartia, Parvocalanus in the past, too. All arrived live. I had sent live Acartia in the past to others in germany or austria at the same day as the import arrived. No problem. But Parvocalanus and Euterpina are more sensible and need continous feed and good water parameters. Also moina is a risk. These need food before sending further. Maybe I could open the bottle und feed them. I will ask Erik, if this could run. But your doubts are justifiable, it is a race with the time.[/quote]

Maybe we should start a thread on shipping copepods? I have experiemented a lot with different types of copepods over the years, trying to figure out how to successfully ship them. So far, I have been able to keep Parvocalanus, saltwater moina and regular tigriopus copepods in shipping containers successfully for over 10 days without opening the containers to aerate or feed them. I'd be glad to discuss it if anyone is interested.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby zimajays » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:42 am

I for one would be very interested in any information about shipping them. Nothing yet has reached the UK and you guys seem to be having all the fun! :lol: :lol:
zimajays

Postby lvanghele » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:34 pm

I've been experimenting with cold storage. I have put some pods in kordon breather bags in the fridge for 24 hours. I warmed the bag to room temp and got a 100% survival rate. I did it again to the same pods, and still 100% survival. I will fill you in on long term survival in the fridge.
lvanghele

Postby lvanghele » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:35 pm

And on a side note I simply ship in kordon breather bags with some phyto to eat, and they always make it alive, even when I ship across the US using 2-3 day shipping.
lvanghele

Postby lvanghele » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:53 pm

I ship to canada for $20, but I only did it once and I have no idea whether the package made it yet.
lvanghele

Next

Return to Zooplankton