About harpacticoid copepods

Postby KathyL » Fri May 09, 2008 9:21 pm

My lonesome banggai seems to love T californicus. I started the culture to feed his mate, who seemed to like live foods best, but she died before I could get a good culture going.

Do you know if these harps will eat each other? How densely they can be cultured? Sometimes I see them swimming as a pair, and I think they must be mating... I have 3 half filled jars of them now. I am thinking of buying some plastic stackable trays for them.

I left them to their own devices for the 10 days that I was away, and they seemed to have thrived. Very low maintenance.

One other thing. When I bought them they were orange. Not any more. Do they eat naturose?
KathyL

Postby chris melb » Sun May 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Those that are culturing Harps what is the best food to do so, Luis has mentioned crushed flake food, some the literature suggests TET, is it that they only eat dead or dying matter? What would be the best food for culturing Harps?
chris melb

Postby chris melb » Sun May 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Those that are culturing Harps what is the best food to do so, Luis has mentioned crushed flake food, some the literature suggests TET, is it that they only eat dead or dying matter? What would be the best food for culturing Harps? Also Hair Algae would that be good for as food source would it have to live or is decaying better?

Regards

Chris
chris melb

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon May 12, 2008 11:42 pm

Hey Chris and Kathy! I've been culturing them on Reed's IA Nanno and Tet, but when I get lazy (lazier?), I just toss some Otohime A in there (I have a sample bottle). They don't seem to care. I don't think they have much of a cannibalism problem.

Here's a mating photo:

Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 am

KathyL

Postby rivoth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:02 am

The project DIBS website has some good links to copepod articles. One that I found interesting was:

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/W3732E/w3732e0t.htm#b5-5.2.5.%20Culture%20techniques

In it was the statement:
potential to achieve high biomass densities: i.e. Tigriopus fed on rice bran increasing rapidly from 0.05 to 9.5 ind.ml-1 in 12 days

That sounded rather promising.
rivoth

Postby MikeT307 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/2140-copepods-podcast-episode-69-a.html

Here's a pretty nice conversation about harpacticoid culturing. It's a long broadcast...just a FYI.
MikeT307

Re:

Postby PHYTO4LIFE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:40 am

MikeT307 wrote:http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/2140-copepods-podcast-episode-69-a.html

Here's a pretty nice conversation about harpacticoid culturing. It's a long broadcast...just a FYI.

That was a pretty informative discussion I had to listen to it twice
PHYTO4LIFE

Re: About harpacticoid copepods

Postby PHYTO4LIFE » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:39 pm

I'll be starting a culture of nitokra lacustris for my mandarin and so far I just started culturing live nanno

my question is will freeze dried cyclopeeze and live nanno be fine for a small tray culture?

also came across this article about nitokra lacustris

http://www.fishlarvae.com/e/BigBang/Rhodes.pdf
PHYTO4LIFE

Re: About harpacticoid copepods

Postby spawner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:28 am

I would think that your cultures will be better off with microalgae, concentrate of live. I haven't worked with Nitokra but I know that Luis was somewhat unhappy with it (do a search on the site). I'm not sure if this genus is going to be a good performer in a larval tank and I'm not aware of any literature demonstrating it to be a good source for live feeds. Any reason why you're going with it?
spawner

Previous

Return to Zooplankton