About Calanoid Copepods

Re: About Calanoid Copepods

Postby Luis A M » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 am

ADDENDA (AND ERRATA) TO THE EGG STORING DESCRIPTION
Experience and further reading have shown that the explained technique only works for Acartia tonsa (and I imagine for other Acartia as well).This is unfortunate as we can not keep back ups of other species.And makes A.tonsa still more valuable as the calanoid of choice.
Which gives us a practical mean to ID this genus,if it could be stored successfully,it was Acartia!. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Exactly.One L of sieved water is discarded and one L of Phyto is added to the culture chamber.

Okay. Cool. Other question: You say that 1 L of phyto per day is what keeps this running. Do you not feed the egg/naup cultures?

Also, do you aerate any of the containers?

Thanks!
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Yes,all cultures are aerated with an open ended airline.A flashlight lighting thru the side of a the (translucent)bucket,is good to assess the density of the culture.
Naupliar jars receive 100 ml of phyto per day.After the 8 days,they are strained and added to the culture chamber.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:25 am

Okay. Thank you. I want to try this soon.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Luis, can I confirm with you: You use 200 micron screen on the bottom of your culture vessels that are moving between buckets?

I found some cheap nylon mesh at the fabric store that's right at 170 microns, so I think it'll work. I may have a surprise batch of A. tonsa coming in tomorrow (fish store is being a little cryptic).
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Got it. Sorry to bug you:

Adults are approximately 1.5 mm in length, and their N1 nauplii are approximately 70 μm in length. Acartia eggs are 70-80 μm in diameter, spherical, covered with short spines, and are slightly heavier than seawater.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Zooid » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Andy, when you get your setup running, I'd appreciate some photos.
I'm kind of lost on what size containers are being used on the system.
Thanks
Gale
Zooid

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Sure. The calanoids didn't make it into this shipment, though, so I have to wait for next time.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby mikegreen » Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 am

I've been reading and re=reading this thread and other sources. My previous attempt was a rapid failure, and I still haven't tracked down Acartia supply in UK.
Found a couple of paper's that I'd missed before that might suggest useful tweaks to production techniques.

First looks at co-culture with Oxhirrys marina and similar species. They keep the culture much cleaner, and provide a secondary food source for the Calanoids: http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/2/m002p229.pdf

Second I found interesting as the picture of Acartia as herbivorous grazer and also cannibal has always seemed a bit odd : http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/60/m060p035.pdf
mikegreen

Postby Luis A M » Tue May 04, 2010 1:02 am

Nice that you gave us the links for those old papers 8) The one by Klein Breteler is particularly important,as it was the first in the modern series of planktonic copepods rearing articles.I didnt know they had been PDFd.I received my reprint mailed by the author.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Sat May 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Okay, Luis, I'm currently into day 2 of your method. Unfortunately, my starter culture was pretty small so it'll take a while before I feel comfortable taking samples. Mine is not a complete replicate of your work because I don't have T-Iso cultures. I'm working right now from large O. marina cultures and supplements of a live commercial algae mix. When adding the O. marina I also add the O. marina food, RotiGrow+. I already know that tonsa will not survive on RG+ alone. Once the cultures get up and stable I will be trying the system out using O. marina as a monodiet (or as much of a monodiet as is possible in a relaxed culturing atmosphere). So far, so good. The population seems to have survived the first transfer and seems larger already. Doesn't mean much: My culture survived several days on RG+ alone before failing miserably, probably starvation.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby JimWelsh » Sat May 08, 2010 4:07 pm

You may want to experiment on foods for the O. marina. In this post a variety of foods are suggested. Nutritional value of the O. marina will likely vary depending on what it was fed. Diversity in O. marina diet may lead to better success when feeding only O. marina to A. tonsa.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby Luis A M » Sun May 09, 2010 1:13 am

Andy,which of my methods you are meaning,the culture of stocks or the copepod machine?.In any case,you could call it your method since it is so changed :wink:
But if you co-culture A.tonsa with O.marina,you still need to feed algae for both of them,I imagine :? .Or may be I´m wrong and you found the way to culture calanoids without live algae...that would be great!
Luis
Luis A M

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Sun May 09, 2010 10:55 am

The copepod machine part. I have found a way to culture O. marina without live algae (they are really easy), only with RotiGrow+. If tonsa can survive on it, then yes, it would be without live phyto, though not without a live dinoflagellate.

Jim--While the O. marina do fine on RG+ alone, I have order in some enrichments to see if adding those would improve any results.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Mon May 10, 2010 1:07 am

That´s interesting.To find if calanoids could thrive on O.marina exclusively.Sounds like you could start a research thread on that :wink:
RotiGrow is basically yeast,right?.O.marina feeds well on yeast.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby JimWelsh » Mon May 10, 2010 1:21 am

"Umm, fish?" wrote:The copepod machine part. I have found a way to culture O. marina without live algae (they are really easy), only with RotiGrow+. If tonsa can survive on it, then yes, it would be without live phyto, though not without a live dinoflagellate.

Jim--While the O. marina do fine on RG+ alone, I have order in some enrichments to see if adding those would improve any results.

Andy,

Please start a new thread in zooplankton where you document your algaeless O. marina culture protocol.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon May 10, 2010 2:47 am

Well, I have few hopes at the moment. It was a tiny starter but I don't see a lot of specks exhibiting the jerky swimming motions. What I see look and move a lot more like rots. There is still hope because the calanoids may just not have taken off yet. And there may be hatching juveniles in the juvenile jar. But it's not looking good to me. But, we shall see.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby JimWelsh » Mon May 10, 2010 2:50 am

I mean, how do you culture O. marina without algae?
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon May 10, 2010 3:01 am

I don't. I culture O. marina without live algae. They are as easy as or even easier to culture to high densities than rots on RotiGrow+.

Here's a sample that I pulled from the tonsa attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MULvvGPMnas

As an aside, that's either a juvenile or S-strain rotifer.

Sorry, Luis. I missed your post above. I don't know what's in RotiGrow, but I do know that it's algae based.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby seafarm » Mon May 10, 2010 12:18 pm

All of the Instant Algae products are marine microalgae - we don't put yeast or freshwater algae in any of our products. Our products include Nanno 3600, Tet 3600, Iso 1800, Pav 1800, TW 1200, Shellfish Diet, RotiGrow, N-Rich
Randy Reed, Vendor - Reed Mariculture (Instant Algae, Reef Nutrition, Rotifers, Copepods, Otohime, ClorAm-X)
seafarm

Postby Luis A M » Mon May 10, 2010 2:18 pm

seafarm wrote:All of the Instant Algae products are marine microalgae - we don't put yeast or freshwater algae in any of our products. Our products include Nanno 3600, Tet 3600, Iso 1800, Pav 1800, TW 1200, Shellfish Diet, RotiGrow, N-Rich

Sorry for the confusion.I was thinking in a product by FAF,(was it Roti-Rich?) which is yeast,+ vitamins,etc. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Mon May 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Luis A M wrote:
seafarm wrote:All of the Instant Algae products are marine microalgae - we don't put yeast or freshwater algae in any of our products. Our products include Nanno 3600, Tet 3600, Iso 1800, Pav 1800, TW 1200, Shellfish Diet, RotiGrow, N-Rich

Sorry for the confusion.I was thinking in a product by FAF,(was it Roti-Rich?) which is yeast,+ vitamins,etc. :?

Andy,that explains all.Commercial names are tricky...
Yet you´re in your way to culture calanoids without live algae! :shock:
And I liked the movie.O.marina and a baby rot...Might be visual effcts but the rot seems to be catching some :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Woodstock » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Update please Andy :D

BTW... Great video! Those O. marina are super tiny buggers!
Woodstock

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Most of the updates have moved on to here: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=7410

I'm just about ready to start some trials with apocyclops (cultured on a diet of O. marina) and fish. The apocyclops culture to really nice densities, have naups that are a good size (though I'd be happier if they were a little narrower), and put up with some pretty marginal conditions.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby team ctenophor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:08 pm

What sive micron would you use for the adult copepod cylinder if culturing parvocallanus scotti (tentative id, almost definately parvo though)

Water in a bucket will reach 76 degrees in my house, should I add a heater to 80 degrees?

I'm guessing t-iso or c-iso would be fine for parvocalanus right?

thanks for the help.

Tommy
team ctenophor

PreviousNext

Return to Zooplankton