cleaning a parvo culture

cleaning a parvo culture

Postby picci » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi,
my parvo culture has some ciliates in it. I guess it is not so much unusual and maybe even not so much dangerous. But I still have a curiosity/question: what procedure you suggest for "cleaning" the precious culture...at leat in EU parvo culture is more valuable than diamonds :D
Thanks for support.
Cristina Picci
picci

Re: cleaning a parvo culture

Postby Luis A M » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:55 pm

I know what you mean,here they are even more difficult/valuable :wink:
Some ciliates won´t be much of a problem;rots would be!
Keep creating new cultures every time you see naups in a 2.5 ml sample.Many cultures is an insurance against crashes!
Luis
Luis A M

Postby picci » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:45 am

Luis, that's a smart suggestion....think simple, keep it simple :-)
I will filter with a 53-11micron and something will happen.

And what about the best microscope for looking at the pods? I have a monoscope Bresser biolux 10X-1280X but the damned animals move on the slide even with the overslide (not sure if this is the proper name of the small piece you put on). I clearly saw those but just as a meteora under the lens. I read you dry the larvae without damaging them. I tried with pods but I could see only crystals of salt. I tried also with acetic acid as I read somewhere that could inebriate the pods but again without great success.
I know this question has been made here and there in different forums so again if there is one already self explicative for this, just remind me that.
Cristina
picci

Postby Luis A M » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Cristina,you don´t use a compound microscope nor slides with copepods.You need a dissecting microscope,sometimes called loupe,and a large well slide.You will find it useul for watching eggs and larvae.Is your birthday close? :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby picci » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:58 am

Uhm, a little too early for a birthday's gift :-) it will be mid June, so plenty of time to study the best option. I searched a little.....what about the magnification?

Cristina
picci

Postby Jake Levi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi Cristina

Amazon.com has slides with a little 'dish' in the center, just nice for a drop. I have always tended to start new cultures about a month old, hand dipping a starter population into a clean phyto culture. Works for me. I think ciliates have wings. As precocious as rotifers.

I also opted for a binocular mic from Amazon , one that also has a nice flat viewing screen, I rarely use the optics anymore, unless I want a rare better focus. Amazon has a very good selection of microscopes.
Jake Levi

Harrisville , MI
Jake Levi

State/Region: Michigan

Postby picci » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Jaki Levi, I think I know the kind of microscope you mention. I will try with the slides, also.

Instead, sorry, but my Engish is not so good to understand the meaning of "...hand dipping a starter population into a clean phyto culture". If you please explain in other words what you make. I think that should be also interesting.

When you say that ciliates have the wings, you mean that they fly away from the culture? :D :D
I am joking, of course
Cristina
picci

Return to Zooplankton