Zooplankton culture advice needed

Zooplankton culture advice needed

Postby Zante » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:48 am

I have just sterilised my rotifer culture as it was giving me problems (entirely caused by my inexperience).

Now that my phyto cultures have started going strong again I'd like to start culturing zoo again.
The aim is to feed corals with live food, not to breed fish, but once the cultures are going I won't mind giving breeding a go.
Also I'm sure the fish I have will appreciate the live food being added.

What two or three different zoo cultures do you suggest that are easy to keep and are good food?
I was considering rotifers, moina salina and tangerine copepods.

Can these be cultured together or would it be better to have separate culture vessels?
Is there any good reason NOT to culture any of these?
Should I choose only two of these which would you suggest?
Any other type of zoo I haven't considered?
Any other advice?
Zante

State/Region: London

Re: Zooplankton culture advice needed

Postby Luis A M » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 pm

Culturing phyto and zoo is a chore.I enjoy doing it,and I need them for larval raising,but it is still some extra work to do.I don´t have much experience with corals;so forgive me for asking:Do you really need them for coral feeding?.Can´t you simply feed them with BBS?.
Of your options,rots are hands down the easiest to culture.Tangerines and especially Moina are large organisms;you think some larger coral polyps could take them?.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Zante » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Corals are the main target for the zooplankton, but the live food will probably be very much appreciated by the fish too. The larger corals, such as the hammer or the candy cane will happily handle fish pellets, and I'm planning an anemone who will undoubtedly appreciate any zooplankton.

I don't mind the chore, I have been running rotifers for several weeks, but I don't know what it's like with pods and moina as I haven't tried. In any case if it gets too much I can simply shut down.

I want to start knowing what I'm doing, though, that is why I'm asking here: since zooplankton is THE feed for fish larvae and fry you surely have plenty of experience with it.
Zante

State/Region: London

Postby Luis A M » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Great,good luck! 8) Let´s keep posted.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Zooplankton