A size chart, smallest to largest of the "phytoplanktons"?

A size chart, smallest to largest of the "phytoplanktons"?

Postby JGibeau » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Hey everybody, I have been reading and studying, or trying to read and study the different phytoplanktons, et al., and have come to realize that with studying all the different names of them and the like, I have yet to see a chart that shows smallest to largest, who eats what in this seeming "backbone of the ocean", and it is a little daunting. Is there a chart here that I just have not seen yet, or maybe a list of type, smallest to largest, that I can study?

I come from the "frog world" and have decided to try breeding fish, namely S splendidus. In frogs, you always have your vivarium setup and ready, and all the food you will need at least two weeks "deep" before the acquisition of any adult breeders or froglets that you intend to grow out to adulthood for breeding purposes. I am going to follow this formula for my fish, but not understanding the food is throwing me.

Any links or finger pointing I can get to the right place or direction would be massively appreciated.
JGibeau

State/Region: Arizona

Re: A size chart, smallest to largest of the "phytoplanktons

Postby JGibeau » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:37 pm

I guess what I am asking, is what is the "best" or most readily accepted food for newborn fish, or larvae, something which will encourage the greatest amount of growth, and support the best in nutrition, and in what order do I introduce these.

Also, I see people talking about harvesting and offering newborn, or naupilii copepods - How the heck do you harvest these??
JGibeau

Postby Luis A M » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Rotifers are the standard fare for larvae.When they don't work,copepod naups are given.See mcp.php?i=main&mode=topic_view&f=144&t=508
And lastly,we have ciliates,but little is known about their use.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby JGibeau » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:25 am

Luis, I tried that link, but it said I am not allowed to access that information. Rotifers eat ciliates, right?
JGibeau

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:22 pm

This is the link Luis meant to post...it should work for you. http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=508
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby JGibeau » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:18 am

Thank you very much Amie! I am now going to go beat up my brain absorbing and expanding all that info.

On a side note, I just finished Wittenrichs book, and really came away from that better informed, but also a little more apprehensive about what I am getting into.
JGibeau

Postby JGibeau » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:11 am

Wow, was that helpful! I am ordering in 2 different types of pods for immediate culture. One group will get a rubble coral tank that runs salinated at 0.021 all green water, and the other is going outside in the same water, to see how it does with AZ sunlight greened water. I also picked up three young tank raised dragonets, that are strong mysis shrimp feeders. They all appear to be female, so they are going to be kept and fed like broodstock, while I hunt for an enormous male.

I have the cart a little ahead of the horse here, as my fish room isn't even close to ready, but these are very rare around here, so I grabbed them. This weekend I will re-floor the vivarium room with plywood and linoleum, and start setting things up.
JGibeau

Return to Zooplankton