Spotted Mandarin Larvae Culture Made Easy

Spotted Mandarin Larvae Culture Made Easy

Postby spawner » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:09 pm

About a month ago we recovered 30 or so larvae and eggs from our filter basket and tank. The benefits of having very eager and enthusiastic students work in your lab. Placed them in a 10 gallon tank, added a little live T-Iso, plenty of copepods (A. tonsa), and left the lights on. As the lab is being renovated and we didn't have much time and equipment around right now. So 10 days or so go by and I look in the once dark brown larval tank, it's crystal clear water, basically a raging copepod culture, I'm getting ready to clear the tank out and put it back on the shelf, but see several small brown objects on the bottom.

No water change, no extra food, no addition of algae and we produced at least 4 happy juvenile spotted mandarins a month later.

If you thinking about working with these fish, start with microalgae and copepods. Let them do the work for you. I think with a little more effort we could produced thousands of these guys.

For the home hobbyists, producing a few hundred fish or even a small handful is not out of the question. You might even get buy with ordering in some bulk live algae and copepods and putting in your larval tank a few days before your mandarins need to eat.
spawner

Re: Spotted Mandarin Larvae Culture Made Easy

Postby LargeAngels » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Wow!! That is soooo awesome.
LargeAngels

Postby snowmaker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks Andy,
Mandarin are on my project list after the chalk bass. Come to think of it, I suppose this method might work for them as well.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
--Aristotle
snowmaker

Postby spawner » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Just a quick edit.

No water changes during the larval period, lightly aerated tank with a small heater, then after settlement we did 50% water changes and copepod subtractions/additions everyday.
spawner

Postby DrHsu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Cool....sounds like my kind of larvae culture :D Definitely something to try out.....
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Amie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for posting this.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby efren » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:34 pm

wowo that sounds good where can i get a tonsa strater cultures?
efren
MOFIB Translator

Postby spawner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Hard to get crustaceans across the boarder. Send me a PM and I'll get you in contact with someone in Mexico.
spawner

Postby spawner » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:22 am

Here is a few updated photos.

They sure are wonderful fish. Give them some copepods and they take care of the rest.

Brad Bourque, with a 120 day old fish.

Dorsal view
spawner

Postby team ctenophor » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Could this work with O marina? I have tons of this, but no T-iso.

BTW, great job! I never thought of the 'brown water' approach!
team ctenophor

Postby spawner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 am

I don't know if it would work, but I'm doubtful because of the balance between the ciliates and copepods that would have to be maintained. Do you have mandarins spawning?
spawner

Postby team ctenophor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:54 am

I will have a pair by the new year...so soon I hope!

If my T-iso cultures dont rebound I may get some C-iso.

Thanks
team ctenophor

Postby jolson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:58 am

spawner this could be a major help with the 2011 breeders callenge since it looks like the Mardarin will in the Breeders Challenge 2011 hard species. It will be especially helpful since at least to my knowledge this is the first time that wild caught plankton was not used. can you give any additional info, doesnt even look like you used an air stone think what could be done with a little more research using this technique. I know I missed your post when it first came out so I hope that everyone gets a chance to see it again.
jolson

Postby angi » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi spawner

congrates :-D Thank You for posting. Sounds so easy like my natural way to grow some seahorse babies (algae mixture plus tisbe biminensis 2 weeks before fry).
yrs, angi
angi

Postby spawner » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:01 pm

jolson wrote:spawner this could be a major help with the 2011 breeders callenge since it looks like the Mardarin will in the Breeders Challenge 2011 hard species. It will be especially helpful since at least to my knowledge this is the first time that wild caught plankton was not used. can you give any additional info, doesnt even look like you used an air stone think what could be done with a little more research using this technique. I know I missed your post when it first came out so I hope that everyone gets a chance to see it again.

Well my offer stands. If you have spawning mandarins. I'm happy to ship algae and pods if we have enough around. Should make for an exciting BC this year.

We do use a small amount of air.

The funny thing is that we still have the same copepod culture going in the 10 gallon tank with the subadult mandarins. Brad has been adding algae and new water daily and the A. tonsa keep reproducing.
spawner

Postby Oiseau reefer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:50 pm

I would be interested in some cultures my mandarins are spawning just about every night and I've always wanted to raise some!
Oiseau reefer

Postby spawner » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Sure thing. I just dumped about 4 million copepods down the drain last week to thin the cultures out.

You need to get me a Fedex account number and have a little patience with my schedule. Just send me a PM with your info and we'll work something out.
spawner

Postby team ctenophor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:28 pm

does this offer still stand? their are spawning green mandarins in the DT at the fish store i work for, and I will have a pair of blue ones in my fish tank next week.

btw, as per my earlier post, my t-iso became nanno... :roll:
team ctenophor

Postby WDT » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 pm

I am going to give it a go. I have what I think are mandarin eggs and A.tonsa already in a ten gallon. I am also going to try this method for Hector's Goby in hopes it works.
WDT

Postby telamont » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:22 am

i have mandarins that are laying eggs. i can collect them and put them in a 10 gallon with air and a heater and a light. should i be cultivating copepods then? is that all ill need other than phyto? if i need to cultivate these pods can you hook me up with the a tonsa?
telamont

Return to Larva