Crustacean Larviculture.

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Cardinal wrote:
Luis A M wrote:
No airstones,gentle bubbling in my jars.Same in Wunsch flasks.

Have you ever considered/tried using a solution based on water circulation rather than air?

Sure but not in closed jars.They are typical of open systems:down-upwellers,kreisels.
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby Cardinal » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:56 am

Luis A M wrote:Oto B1-bbs
Yes,PL must be taken to normal adult tanks.
good luck :D

I forgot to ask earlier. When do you start to give them Otohime? Is it through the whole development stage?

Thanks

Peter
"Ancestors plant trees so that their offspring can have shade".
Cardinal

Postby Luis A M » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 am

B1 plus bbs from day one to 143,exclusively.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Aquazoa » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:54 pm

Porter Betts here, it was my article on the kreisel for debelius in 2004 on Advancedaquarist, thank you for the mention......I have perfected the design tremendously since using inflow chambers and slots rather than a spraybar (whose tiny focused jets seemed too shearing of larvae).
I observed an apparent 75% success with peppermints in 2005 with this system, reducing larval duration to 20 days and 250 postlarvae settled. Haven't achieved success with debelius in it yet but I wanted to describe what happens with postlarval peppermints.
Once metamorphosis occurs the tiny shrimps crawl up into the inflow slots and hide up inside the inflow chambers as they become photophobic. At this point they need to be transferred to a growout site so one can remove the light to the main circular chamber of the tank so it is now dark. The inflow chambers which previously were dark would now have bright lights shined in them and this would drive the postlarval shrimp back into the main chamber where they can be gently netted out.
It is usually some 2 weeks or so to get all the shrimp to metamorphosis, so many of them will be living in the inflow chambers for some time.
I have some pix I took of them in there which I will work on posting in the near future.

Porter Betts
Aquazoa

Re: Crustacean Larviculture.

Postby rein08 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am

Better have both.
That's better.
Goodluck!
rein08

Previous

Return to Larva