BRT Setup Question

BRT Setup Question

Postby darxvad » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:31 pm

I've seen how people have the drain to the side/or through the center of the bottom. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to both side.

Also can anyone point me on info regarding the standpipe. Need basic info on construction and what I can do to prevent the frys from getting trapped. I'm also planning on having the airstone on the side of the tank instead of in the standpipe.
darxvad

State/Region: London

Re: BRT Setup Question

Postby Luis A M » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Choose what you find more to your likes and needs.Most people use a central standpipe.You drill a hole in the bottom center,place a bulkhead,connect a piece of pipe and a drain hose.You can use any type of fry saving strainers or screens,as you do with normal tanks.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby darxvad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Should a standpipe benefit more from skimming water from the top, or having a venturi type to suck water from the bottom of the tank. Will this alter the flow of the tubs?
darxvad

State/Region: London

Postby Windy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello,

I have some experience in reefing and have now decided to raise marine fish. I had many of the same questions as you and I began to research the issues. I came across the following article "Research-scale tank designs for the larval culture of marine ornamental species, with emphasis on fish" by: Jonathan A. Moorhead. It is copyrighted and I paid $35.00 for my access. I felt getting the right advice was more important than anything else. I can't share the article, but anyone can buy access if they want. Also, what I have produced for my larval grow out system is shown below and it pretty much follows the papers suggestions.

BRT Larval rearing system

I have finished my larval system. It has a BRT (Black round tub) larval tank, hooked to a 50 gal sump and skimmer. The BRT has a central standpipe with a bubble ring on the bottom. This keeps the larva suspended in a kreisel type current and off the wall. The central standpipe can be adjusted for height to control larval volume. The central filter is removable for cleaning and is wrapped in 250 micron cloth. The water delivery to the BRT from the sump is designed to be very slow. I emerges just below the bubble ring and is part of the up flow. My goal is to cycle the larval water every 1-2 days. This a drip at best. The BRT drain is 1/4 tubing and it terminates in the sump above water so I can count the drops to estimate the turnover rate. Both tanks require heaters because of the extremely slow turnover rate.
I am now waiting to establish the next Neon Goby fry date and I will fill the larval system from the brood stock system and see how it goes.

For pictures
http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do-your ... ystem.html
Windy

State/Region: oregon

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Sounds like a great setup. Would you be willing to post pictures?
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby Windy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:58 pm

How do I post images on this board? I tried when I made the first post and then gave a shortcut to Reef2Reef where I can post pictures.
Windy

Postby Windy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Windy

Postby Luis A M » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Windy,follow rhe instructions given in viewtopic.php?f=182&t=12965
It should work :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Windy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:09 pm

The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.
Your message contains too few characters.
Windy

Postby Luis A M » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:12 pm

I see,but you can reduce it´s size.Most pics libraries have programs where you can edit them.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Windy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:18 pm

Its not worth the effort. I will share where it is more easily done!
Windy

Return to Larva