My eggs are hatching but keep dieing within 24hr Pls Help?

My eggs are hatching but keep dieing within 24hr Pls Help?

Postby James32 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:53 pm

I was wondering if any of you could help me with a couple of quick questions? I keep having my Ocellaris eggs hatch in the 7 gallon tank I am using with the water from the main parents tank , which isn't good water and hasn't had a water change in 4 -5 months as I am selling it , the main tank levels are nitrites-0 nitrates-15 with salifert kit and 40ppm using API kit, PH 8.3, Ammonia 0.25 using api, I am wondering if they would be better off with newly mixed saltwater that has been mixing for at least 2-3 days and just 20 percent of parents water or something like this?.. Also I also read that keeping the fry tanks water green using concentrated rotigrow can kill the Fry? Is there any truth to this? Here is where I read it http://www.mbisite.org/forums/tm.aspx?m ... print=true .. So far the fish are hatching but I can't get them to live past 24 hours, this is only my 4th attempt at breeding them but I have been in the hobby since 1992 and mostly kept sps and tended to stay toward high end stuff, now I really want to try my hand at Breeding. I have a 5,7 and 3 gallon tank to choose from for the fry I also have a 24 gallon nano but I plan to use this for the Spawning pair once I get them out of my 363 Gallon System I am selling off and have been for 4 months now! I have 2 L rotifer cultures going the bucket style and I Just bought a 1 liter bag of Reed Maricultures "RotiGrow Nanno 3600x" , I also have a 53 micron sieve for the rotifers and a phyto density stick .....Which leads to my next question , How do I properly dilute the rotigrow into a bottle of rotigrow 100x density? and or is it necessary to do thiks? Any tips of advice would be much appreciated as I really want to see some clowns make it to and past metamorphosis!!
Thanks for looking and thank you kindly in advance for your help
Sincerely:
James
James32

State/Region: Ontario

Re: My eggs are hatching but keep dieing within 24hr Pls Hel

Postby superfish » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:51 pm

if most of the fry died within 24, i would go with the environment issue. you said your main tank water has 0.25ppm ammonia, that might be the issue. my 45 days old clowns will stop eating when ammonia reaches 0.25
i have heard some people using newly mixed water and had great results, but personally i tried several time with low survive rate. i would say, if you really need to use new water, mix it 24hrs early and run the water with an airline, also make sure the temperature and salinity are the same as the main tank.
i use rotigrow plus for all: grow rotifers, enrich rotifers/BBS, greenwater technique. Concentrated phyto may precipitate, so you will need to clean the bottom daily. but i use it all the time with no issue.
your last question, im not sure what you mean by rotigrow 100x. but if you just wanna dilute the concentrated phyto in to regular density, rotigrow have 15%~20% dry weight, regular phyto culture has 0.1~0.3% dry weight. so just add 5ml into 16oz water should be good.
superfish

State/Region: Illions

Postby James32 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks I appreciate your reply I will try using newly mixed salt water this time and match the salinity and temp of the brood stock, I will let you know how everything goes. They should be laying again in a few days!!
I just lost the last fry yesterday from the last batch and I used 50/50 water this time, but when I tested the water the day before they hatched into the fry tank ammonia was 0.25!! so I am most definitely better off using new salt I may let it mix for a week or so even with a pump first just to be safer!
Cheers I will get back to ya!!
Thanks a bunch!!!!
James32

State/Region: Ontario

Postby Amie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:02 am

Are you hatching them in a separate tank? Or catching them in the main tank and moving them? If you are catching them, then you will need to keep them in the same water they hatched in. Once moved, start a drip of the newly mixed salt water ... very slowly. Make sure you keep a dim light on them the first night. They need to eat that night, or they can die within 24 hours. Also, do you have an airline in the tank?
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Return to Larva