Upstand pipe on clownfish fry tank

Upstand pipe on clownfish fry tank

Postby adzzzy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 am

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about using an upstand pipe on my fry tanks to plumb them up to my sump.

Can i do this by using Plankton mesh wrapt around the top of my upstand without having the fry and rotifers being sucked towards it. I was also going to have a 40mm pipe reduced to the 25mm upstand and use minimum flow from the inlet pipe.

Does anyone use this method? I do realize i wont be able to use green water.

Thanks for your feedback in advance. :D
adzzzy

State/Region: Victoria

Re: Upstand pipe on clownfish fry tank

Postby adzzzy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Must be a stupid question.....lol

Just setting up new breeding rack and wanted some advice.
adzzzy

Postby Luis A M » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:26 pm

adzzzy wrote:Must be a stupid question.....lol

No question is stupid,and yours is useful to re-visit the basics.There is litle traffic in the Site on week-ends :wink: And our many Oz members must have been outside enjoying Spring day! 8)
There are different ways to build,plumb and filtrate breeding systems,though most share an "aire de famille".You can see sketches in aquarium books,like Martin M´s or Matt W.´s.But please ask thoroughly before you start with the job.
Regarding your specific question,there are basically 3 places where you can drill your tank and set a bulkhead and water outlet.
A-On the bottom,with a vertical stand pipe.
B-On a wall,front or rear at the water level
C-Same,but lower,with an elbow and short standpipe.
Each has pros and cons.In A you can remove the pipe and drain the tank,but it is very inconvenient if you have to net fish.C allows for different water levels by changing the position of the elbow.
In all cases you need a screen to avoid losing the fry into the pipework.There are standard screens that can be connected to the pipes or in B,directly to the bulkhead.They must be covered with a piece of mosquito screen or such for the 1st month.But no,you can´t use 53 mic mesh to save the rots for 2 reasons:
It will clog in short time and you don´t start water circulation when using rots and green water. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby adzzzy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:57 am

Thank you for the advice once again Luis. Much appreciated.
adzzzy

Postby Amie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 am

I think it is also important to keep your fry tanks 'stand-alone' in order to avoid any contamination from other tanks. If you are thinking of taking the water from the fry tank and putting it into your reef tank, you might want to reconsider this as well. Depending on how much water you are transferring, it could spike your ammonia levels.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:36 pm

I wouldn't recommend connecting your fry tank to nothing but its own system. Connecting to any other system, such as your reef or brood stock tanks will take a lot of work and will create a lot of problems. Yes you can use plankton mesh to keep fry and rotifers inside the tank, but mesh that small easily gets clogged and needs to be rinsed clean every few days. (A lesson learnt quick after a few overflowing tanks). I wouldnt use a rubber band to wrap the mesh around the pipe, fry will get stuck in the creases and die. I would buy a heat gun and hot glue the mesh at the seam closed so there are no spaces the fry could possibly get stuck. If you hot glue the mesh seam closed you can easily slide the mesh over a stand pipe and not have to mess with trying to attach it with rubber bands. I see no need to reduce the pipe size. reducing pipe size will only increase the current over the standpipe compared to a larger standpipe at the same inflow. Younger fry may have a harder time trying to swim away from the overflow current. Increasing pipe size would increase the surface area from which the stand pipe skims from and will also decrease the current which the fry may be pulled with. Just a thought......
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

State/Region: Florida

Postby adzzzy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I am only dripping the incoming water into the tank until the fry are old enough for bbs.
adzzzy

Postby Jclaas » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:16 am

@Luis A M what is mosquito mesh?
Jclaas

State/Region: East London

Postby Luis A M » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Jclaas wrote:@Luis A M what is mosquito mesh?

Mosquito screen,the stuff used for windows.1mm mesh.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Jclaas » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Oh yes thanks. Can you help me out on my A.ocellaris thread please. I need advise on how to raise them.
Jclaas

State/Region: East London

Postby darxvad » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Luis A M wrote:
adzzzy wrote:Must be a stupid question.....lol

It will clog in short time and you don´t start water circulation when using rots and green water. :wink:

Does this mean to take the tub off the central system so the water won't have a constant return flow. Will the only circulation and aeration come from just the airstones. And when can you put the tub back online with the central system.
darxvad

State/Region: London

Return to Larva